PDA

View Full Version : Jan Pietrzak’s passing.

Kirk Gittings
13-Jun-2020, 08:56
I’m sorry to be so late with this. It has been really hard since it happened. I thought someone else would have posted something but a search turned up nothing.

Our dear friend Jan Pietrzak passed away 12 days ago. This is a huge loss to his wife Gale, me and my wife Victoria, his many friends and the photo community as a whole. He will be sincerely missed. Jan was an extraordinary friend who would do anything for them. He was a noted photographer and photographic educator here in NM and California. He was a dedicated large format film photographer and platinum printer. We loved him. He will be sincerely missed and very fondly remembered.

Rest In Peace Jan. You were the best. Our condolences to Gale.

Oren Grad
13-Jun-2020, 09:33
So sorry to hear that - thanks for posting, Kirk.

Monty McCutchen
13-Jun-2020, 09:43
Very sad indeed. He was an inspiration to my beginning PlatinumPalladium printing. May he Rest In Peace.

Monty

BrianShaw
13-Jun-2020, 09:45
Freestyle announced his passing on Facebook. Very sad news.

Tin Can
13-Jun-2020, 09:48
Rest in Peace

Mark Sampson
13-Jun-2020, 09:58
He was someone that I wish that I'd had a chance to meet. Condolences, Kirk.

Kirk Gittings
13-Jun-2020, 10:11
Freestyle announced his passing on Facebook. Very sad news.
For Gale, I had the initial, unenviable but necessary, task of calling many of his close friends and colleagues with the sad news the morning of his death. He was to come home that day for hospice and we were heading up there. He didn’t make it home. It still seems very unreal.
He had a very long relationship with Freestyle both as an advisor and friend. He will be missed.

Hugo Zhang
13-Jun-2020, 10:15
RIP, very sad news.

Kirk Gittings
13-Jun-2020, 12:36
There will be memorials in both Santa Fe and in California. These have not been scheduled yet.

Mark Sawyer
13-Jun-2020, 13:13
Sad news indeed, but thank you for posting.

Richard Wasserman
13-Jun-2020, 13:31
So sorry to hear of Jan's passing Kirk. Penny and I send our condolences

Peter Collins
13-Jun-2020, 16:45
Jan welcomed me very warmly when I showed up at an opener for an exhibit of Kirk's and Jan's work in Santa Fe in 2018. I had been living in Albuquerque exactly one week as of the night of the opener, and his welcome made me feel that I had come home. That experience is engraved in my memories. A man with a large heart.

Kirk Gittings
13-Jun-2020, 21:53
Jan welcomed me very warmly when I showed up at an opener for an exhibit of Kirk's and Jan's work in Santa Fe in 2018. I had been living in Albuquerque exactly one week as of the night of the opener, and his welcome made me feel that I had come home. That experience is engraved in my memories. A man with a large heart.Yep that was Jan.

lab black
14-Jun-2020, 04:01
Jan was a talented artist, gifted teacher and a kind man of tremendous intellect who was devoted to his wife, Gale. He patiently gave me my start in pt/pd ... over ... and over ... and over again. I am much richer for having known him. A titan, he will be greatly missed.

Jim Noel
14-Jun-2020, 07:12
Jan was a good friend even before he took up platinum printing. Although we always lived miles apart he never failed to call to check on me on a regular basis. Yes, he will be missed by many including me and my wife.
Rest in Peace, Jan.

Merg Ross
14-Jun-2020, 10:54
Sad to hear. Although I never met Jan, we corresponded a few times. His passion was evident, accompanied by a knowledge that he was eager to share. Indeed a loss.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

MRA
15-Jun-2020, 11:23
Jan was a close friend and Gale is my wife's best friend. And Jan was always willing be to help, advise, share with and support an amateur trying to learn large format photograph. I am already missing his big heart, often subtle humor, support to his community and cooking skills (his pear galette--so tasty and a big hit at our house).
RIP

goamules
15-Jun-2020, 11:47
Sorry to hear this. Thoughts with the friends and family.

Michael Clark
22-Jun-2020, 14:36
Meant Jan at a open house he had arranged, a very giving and friendly host, wonderful gathering of ideas and images, had a great time.

Roger T
24-Jun-2020, 16:12
My worst fears were confirmed today when I read of the passing of Jan. He never posted much, but I would check everyday and see if he at least checked out the website. I think the last time he did that was in early Dec. He used to live nearby in Covina before moving to Santa Fe. He helped me tremendously in leaning alternative processes, esp. platinum/palladium. I bought his Deardoff 4x5 special to do 5x7 images, my favorite format. His workshops were always fun and enlightening. My only regret was that I never purchased one of his images for my collection as he had many beautiful images and I couldn’t decide on which one to obtain. The last time I saw him when I was in Santa Fe I had talked to him about a certain image but never got around to completing the transaction. The lesson to be learned is “You snooze, you lose. Time is SHORT!.” R.I.P. Jan, we will miss you!
Roger Thering

davehyams
25-Jun-2020, 10:08
RIP, such sad news. Jan was a gifted photographer and artist, and a genuinely kind person. I am sure he inspired many aspiring artists besides myself, which isn't a bad legacy to have in your wake. He will be both missed and remembered fondly.

TXFZ1
26-Jun-2020, 09:02
Godspeed, sad news indeed.

Kirk Gittings
26-Jun-2020, 09:39
So thank you all for the kind comments. In a couple of days I will point Gale to this thread so she can see the comments. So if there is anything else you want to add please do it.
Thank you all.

Keith Fleming
26-Jun-2020, 20:30
I only met Jan once, and that was at the View Camera conference, and the conversation was short. Even so, Jan (as others have also mentioned) clearly was a warm human being, and he made me feel as if we had been friends for a lifetime. We even had a common link, since he remembered camping in the past at Fort Worden State Park here in Port Townsend, WA. I envy his students, and I fully agree that he will be missed.

I once had a link to a site with some of his photographs, but now cannot find it on my computer. I will keep looking.

Keith Fleming

pschwart
3-Aug-2020, 18:30
I live in California and have been absent from most online forums for months, so just learned of Jan's passing. I am truly devastated. I treasured Jan's artistic vision and craftsmanship, but even more I valued my friendship with Jan and Gale. Lively dinner conversation and time spent with Jan in his darkroom last July are now treasured memories. Warm and unfailingly helpful and kind, time with Jan and Gale was always a highlight of my yearly visits to Santa Fe. I was never able to tell Jan I finally got around to hanging some of his prints a few months ago. Now they will help me honor his memory.

Philip Schwartz

joselsgil
14-Aug-2020, 15:49
Sorry to read about Jan's passing. I remember Jan when he was a photography instructor at Mount San Antonio College, (MtSac), in Walnut California. He was always in a cheerful mood and could always enlighten the students with his stories or jokes. RIP Jan.

Keith Fleming
24-Mar-2021, 20:41
I am still unable to find a website that has photographs by Jan Pietrzak. Can anyone help me with this search?

Keith