PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff rounded lens board to square front standard?

Fragomeni
9-Jun-2020, 16:22
Hi all. Quick fitment question for a project. I've seen plenty of folks asking about rounding off square lens boards to fit Deardorffs that take rounded boards but my question goes in the opposite direction. Will Deardorff lens boards (6x6) with rounded corners fit Deardorff front standards made to take square boards (military Deardorff's for example were made to take square boards). Wondering if the boards will fit for if the rounded corners will cause light leaks. Thanks.

Drew Bedo
13-Jun-2020, 06:34
Can't answer your specific question.

One work-around might be to use adapter boards on your 8x10 cameras that take the same style of smaller board. I have a little Wista 4x5 that takes Toyo/Linhoff style boards. I put an adapter board on my 8x10 Kodak 2D that allows me to put my longer 4x5 lenses on that camera. A similar strategy would let you swap lenses between a 'dorff and some other camera.

Tin Can
13-Jun-2020, 07:07
I use this guy and I have met him 3 times in person

https://www.ebay.com/usr/zbima1?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

He will make almost any lens-board, I use his 8 X 8" RC Deardorff boards on my 8 X 8' square hole SC11 Deardorff with no problems or light leaks

RichardRitter
13-Jun-2020, 08:17
The rounded corner boards should work. The only time they may be a problem is if you are photographing something that is back lighted. This is where the light source is in front of the camera pointing towards the camera.

Fragomeni
13-Jun-2020, 18:15
Thanks everyone. I ended up going a different direction with my project and wont end up needing to worry about this. I appreciate the info though!

Duolab123
13-Jun-2020, 19:12
I use this guy and I have met him 3 times in person

https://www.ebay.com/usr/zbima1?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

He will make almost any lens-board, I use his 8 X 8" RC Deardorff boards on my 8 X 8' square hole SC11 Deardorff with no problems or light leaks

Yeah this fellow makes beautiful lens boards. I wish him good health and a long life, I don't know what I would do without him. He must have quite the shop.

John Kasaian
13-Jun-2020, 20:43
IIRC the square boards interchange with Kodak 6x6ers. Those should be easier to find than 'dorff boards.

Tin Can
14-Jun-2020, 05:10
His shop is good sized for his purpose, with all operations in a chain-link security area inside a huge warehouse/factory

When visiting, one drives inside and parks near it, all very private, with security in a safe area of Northwest Chicago proper

He also showed me his personal photo studio, very happy to meet other LF users

Old World Craftsman making a living

I also have ordered a number of boards from him, online, shipped very quickly by USPS

Yeah this fellow makes beautiful lens boards. I wish him good health and a long life, I don't know what I would do without him. He must have quite the shop.

drewf64
14-Jun-2020, 05:32

I have purchased from "zbima1" multiple times.
GREAT Seller ... great, consistent quality at a great price!!
Highly recommended!!