PDA

View Full Version : Black paint around the edges of lens

June L
9-Jun-2020, 08:23
Hello,

i stumbled upon this lens while I was looking for a wide angle lens for my camera.
It's apparent that there is a quite amount of black paint gone around the lens edges.
Seller says this won't affect the quality of final image.

I searched the web, and found that the black paint is used to reduce internal reflection on lens.
With this much paint peeled off, I'm beginning to doubt seller's word.
But I've never used this kind of lens, so I want to hear from the experienced photographers on this forum.

Would the missing black paint on this lens have meaningful effect on the image quality, such as contrast, sharpness, etc...?
Also, I found on the web that you can just repaint it with sharpie. Could this be the cure? If so, I might as well just buy it becuase this lens is a little cheaper than other lenses.

Thank you.

Kevin Crisp
9-Jun-2020, 09:00
sharpie has always done it for me, with no problems.

LabRat
9-Jun-2020, 09:36
Or apply India ink with a small brush... Inks are thinner than paints, dry fast, and thin enough for elements to still fit into barrels and retaining rings... And easily reversible...

Steve K

June L
9-Jun-2020, 10:08
sharpie has always done it for me, with no problems.

Glad to hear that there's a solution and that it's a simple one. I think I'll just go ahead and buy the lens. Thank you kevin!

June L
9-Jun-2020, 10:10
Or apply India ink with a small brush... Inks are thinner than paints, dry fast, and thin enough for elements to still fit into barrels and retaining rings... And easily reversible...

Steve K

Wow, thanks for passing on in-depth knowhow! I found an online store selling it for about 5 dollars. They say it's for calligraphy. Would this be okay?

LabRat
9-Jun-2020, 10:25
Wow, thanks for passing on in-depth knowhow! I found an online store selling it for about 5 dollars. They say it's for calligraphy. Would this be okay?

Yea!!! Works well...

Steve K

PRJ
9-Jun-2020, 12:42
I've also used India Ink in the past (Speedball Super Black) and that works really well. Another alternative is to use a Sakura Pigma brush pen. They only cost a couple bucks and the ink is a pigment. India ink is the best, but the pigment pen works really well too.

I wouldn't use a Sharpie. Too transparent.

lungovw
9-Jun-2020, 13:54
I use shellac, very diluted in alcohol, with black dry pigment. It works very well.

LabRat
9-Jun-2020, 13:57
I use shellac, very diluted in alcohol, with black dry pigment. It works very well.

That is the basic formula for writing ink...

Steve K

June L
9-Jun-2020, 18:19
Thanks everyone for your helpful advise. Knowing that there is a solution. I think I'll buy the lens. I'll go with the India Ink first and see from there. Thanks