PDA

View Full Version : Sinar and Horseman board compatible?

Rayt
29-May-2020, 21:57
I was under the impression from doing online research Sinar and Horseman lens boards were compatible. I bought a Horseman lens board from KEH and here is the exact KEH label: Horseman 4x5 32 hole board (Sinar). When I received it it didn’t mount on my Sinar spec standard but another actual Sinar brand board did. I asked a camera repair/machinist and he said they boards are close but not the same.

Tin Can
29-May-2020, 23:27
Yes they vary

I use both Sinar and Horseman on both

I recently got an early Sinar board that is different and a lighter casting in green

The bigger problem is fake cast and machined emulations that are terrible

I find I need a lot of lens boards

I also use Real Sinar and Horseman Linhof adapters with OE and fake. They vary too

I look for bargains but some sources are disappearing

Oren Grad
30-May-2020, 07:20
...didn’t mount on my Sinar spec standard...

Which camera? Manufacturers other than Sinar and Horseman who claim "Sinar standard" don't always match it exactly.

Greg
30-May-2020, 08:25
This is a subjective opinion and not objective... I have found Horseman boards a tad bit easier to cut than Sinar OEM boards. Also Sinar Norma era gray boards seem to be better matches for Chamonix view cameras verses Sinar black boards. I've had and cut some ripoff "Sinar" boards, and they are the easiest to cut and, measured with a micrometer, they are thicker than OEM Sinar boards, objectively speaking on this point.

Rayt
31-May-2020, 02:27
Which camera? Manufacturers other than Sinar and Horseman who claim "Sinar standard" don't always match it exactly.

Ebony. I have other lenses in Sinar boards and they fit.