PDA

View Full Version : New Forum--populate it!

rdenney
29-May-2020, 19:02
Based on feedback, we've added a new forum to support large-format wet-plate photography.

Any wet-plate-related topic is welcome, but remember this is still a large-format forum, so please keep it to large-format wet-plate. This ought not to be too difficult!

When discussing what might be included here, one person suggested these topics:

1. Equipment needs, cameras and lenses. Making, buying, adapting.
2. Chemistry, problem solving and techniques to store, make, buy, use
3. Developing and finishing techniques.
4. Results, show your work.

We won't make these sub-forums, but we can certainly have threads that cover the basics of these topics. If those threads are sufficiently concise and helpful, we can make them a sticky to act as a guide for those new to wet plate work.

As with all our sub-forums, they'll be what you guys make them.

Rick "good luck" Denney

Two23
29-May-2020, 20:25
I'm only moderately experienced at this point, but I have the advantage of having recently made all the beginner's mistakes so I can help you with yours.:)

Kent in SD

Ari
29-May-2020, 20:30
Good stuff, mods. Thank you!

paulbarden
29-May-2020, 20:54
Based on feedback, we've added a new forum to support large-format wet-plate photography.

Rick "good luck" Denney

Awesome, thank you!

goamules
30-May-2020, 08:13
"one person" thanks you.

drewf64
30-May-2020, 08:36
This is GREAT news!
I am new to wet plate collodion and have made 20 glass plate negatives so I am well into the learning curve and am having a total blast!
I have learned a ton from both the John Coffer & Quinn Jacobson manual/book and videos .... excellent resources.
I have viewed tutorials from Top Shit & Robert Bieber and found them very valuable as well.
Basically, I am a sponge for all the information I can see, read, & digest.
This sub-forum will provide timely and specific information via a group of photographers whose skills and willingness to freely share are second to none.
Thank you to all who have made this happen!

Tin Can
30-May-2020, 08:48
2 people now thank you!

BrianShaw
30-May-2020, 08:57
2 people now thank you!

Three

Oren Grad
30-May-2020, 09:10
"one person" thanks you.

Garrett - happy to acknowledge that you contributed that helpful framing. Thank you!

paulbarden
30-May-2020, 09:14
This is GREAT news!
I am new to wet plate collodion and have made 20 glass plate negatives so I am well into the learning curve and am having a total blast!
I have learned a ton from both the John Coffer & Quinn Jacobson manual/book and videos .... excellent resources.
I have viewed tutorials from Top Shit & Robert Bieber and found them very valuable as well.
Basically, I am a sponge for all the information I can see, read, & digest.
This sub-forum will provide timely and specific information via a group of photographers whose skills and willingness to freely share are second to none.
Thank you to all who have made this happen!

Happy to have you here and participating, Drew!

Willie
30-May-2020, 10:02
Large Format Wet Plate?
And here I was going to look for help with my Minox Spy Wet Plate camera...

rdenney
30-May-2020, 11:34
Garrett - happy to acknowledge that you contributed that helpful framing. Thank you!
Rick “Yes, of course” Denney

Tin Can
30-May-2020, 11:42
Ha ha, I get the jab

Large Format Wet Plate?
And here I was going to look for help with my Minox Spy Wet Plate camera...

Stayfrosty
31-May-2020, 02:39
Yes! Thanks for making this - I was beginning to think that I had missed the wet plate part of the forum :)

ic-racer
31-May-2020, 05:47
I have only done wet plate once. But it is nice to see a sub-forum where I can come in case I want to do it again.

ic-racer
31-May-2020, 05:53
Now for a very stupid question. What is encompassed in the "Wet Plate" nomenclature of this sub-forum.

The reason I ask, is that as a photography minor, I was always intrigued by statements that "Tintype" was invented at my Alma mater. But I'm not totally clear on the differences between "Tintype," which is a well documented process, and "Wetplate" which is what exactly?? I always considered them the same, but the more I see about modern "Wet-plate" am not sure.

In 1856, Hamilton L. Smith (1819–1903), while a professor of chemistry and physics at Kenyon College in Gambier, patented the ferrotype in America, popularly know as the tintype.

rdenney
31-May-2020, 05:58
Now for a very stupid question. What is encompassed in the "Wet Plate" nomenclature of this sub-forum.

The reason I ask, is that as a photography minor, I was always intrigued by statements that "Tintype" was invented at my Alma mater. But I'm not totally clear on the differences between "Tintype," which is a well documented process, and "Wetplate" which is what exactly??

I’m more ignorant than you, having not done it even once. But I’m thinking any processes that involve photographer-applied emulsions applied right before exposure.

But we will let that sort itself out as we go.

Rick “too much strictness not having a lot of value here” Denney

Two23
31-May-2020, 06:03
Wet plate is photography using collodion as the substrate to hold the silver. Tin type is wet plate done on a metal sheet to make a positive image.

Kent in SD

paulbarden
31-May-2020, 07:52

The reason I ask, is that as a photography minor, I was always intrigued by statements that "Tintype" was invented at my Alma mater. But I'm not totally clear on the differences between "Tintype," which is a well documented process, and "Wetplate" which is what exactly?? I always considered them the same, but the more I see about modern "Wet-plate" am not sure.

To elaborate on what Kent (correctly) stated,

"wet plate" photography is defined as: the process in which an emulsion called Collodion (made of Ether, Ethanol, Nitrocellulose and at least one salt of Iodide or Bromide, often one of each) is poured onto a plate (can be glass, steel, aluminum, etc) and then submerged into a bath of Silver nitrate where it remains for 2 to 5 minutes. (The length of time depends on what the final plate is used for) While the collodion-coated plate is in the Silver nitrate, a process called metathesis takes place: ions are exchanged between the AgNO3 and the iodides/bromides, and what forms on the surface of the collodion is Silver iodide and/or Silver bromide, both of which are sensitive to light. The plate is lifted from the bath and placed in a plate holder (A variation on the modern film holder) and then exposed in the camera.

The plate holder is then taken back to the darkroom (often a portable darkroom of some sort is used when the photographic plate is made on location), the plate removed and a developer is applied to the plate, typically composed of a Ferrous sulfate solution in water, with the addition of alcohol (a surfactant) and Glacial Acetic Acid (A restrainer, to control the reduction process). The development takes approximately 15 seconds for a positive image, and up to 2 minutes for a negative (different recipes of developer are used for each) and then the developer is washed off the plate, and then it is fixed - generally in traditional fixers such as Ammonium thiosulfate of Sodium thiosulfate. A thorough washing in running water follows, the plate is dried, and then varnished to protect the metallic silver image from tarnishing.

Different names arose for different variants of the wet plate process: Tintypes are positive images on sheet metal, Ambrotypes are positives on glass. Negatives on glass are simply collodion negatives. A "Ferrotype" is the same thing as a tintype, but specifically refers to a tintype made on thin steel, blackened with Japan black varnish. Although Professor Hamilton Smith may have patented the Ferrotype in America, he was not the inventor of the process. In 1851 in England, Frederick Scott Archer announced his new process of Wet Plate Collodion to the world. He did not patent his process, preferring instead that it be shared freely with the world. Any patents obtained for various associated processes were made by other people who sought to profit from that variant. But none of them "invented" anything new or unique - the process is the result of Archer's genius.

cuypers1807
31-May-2020, 08:44
Paul's description is quite good. I would add that opalotypes also fall under the "wet plate" umbrella. Opalotypes are positive images in front of a white background (usually shot on white glass but can be shot on aluminum) from a negative source. They are sort of the opposite of a tintype.

Tin Can
31-May-2020, 10:39
Paul

A wonderful concise and complete summary

Thank you

paulbarden
31-May-2020, 10:45
Paul

A wonderful concise and complete summary

Thank you

I thought it would be a good idea to at least define what "wet plate" photography actually is! Glad you found it useful. Thanks.

ic-racer
1-Jun-2020, 18:24
Different names arose for different variants of the wet plate process: Tintypes are positive images on sheet metal, Ambrotypes are positives on glass. Negatives on glass are simply collodion negatives. A "Ferrotype" is the same thing as a tintype, but specifically refers to a tintype made on thin steel, blackened with Japan black varnish
Fantastic answer. That really clears things up for me. This has the makings of a great sub forum.