PDA

View Full Version : Question about JOBO expert drums

Redbud57
29-May-2020, 12:11
Those of you who use JOBO expert drums - how long does it typically take for the drum to dry out, after a processing session, to the point that it's ready to use again? And, if/when you do process in batches, do you use the sponge-on-a-stick thing, use a towel or chamois, or run a fan to speed the drying at all? Thanks.

cowanw
29-May-2020, 12:33
I usually wait a day. They do have to be dry or full of water. The later is difficult for me to manage without making a mess between wet and dry side.

dasBlute
29-May-2020, 12:58
if I have to use it again, I'll use a wash cloth first, and then blow-dryer to dry it out, only takes a few minutes

Chauncey Walden
29-May-2020, 12:59
I don't have to wait to use it again because I load my tanks wet (full of water).

Vaughn
29-May-2020, 13:02
If I need to use it right away, I wrap a paper town around that worthless sponge on a stick, and use that to get what moisture is in the drum out. Then I use a hair drier on low to dry the tubes out. I push the button on the hair drier a lot that turns the heat off, but keeps blowing. Too much heat can deform the plastic...and possible melt the glue?

My best solution -- I have three 3005s (and a 3006)..I typically load all three up in the evening, and process the next day. I don't have any more room to hang wet negatives after that!

Sal Santamaura
29-May-2020, 16:47
Those of you who use JOBO expert drums - how long does it typically take for the drum to dry out, after a processing session, to the point that it's ready to use again?...It varies greatly depending on ambient relative humidity. Here in coastal southern California, typically at least 12 hours, although a hot offshore wind (Santa Ana) can shorten that to a couple of hours.

...do you use the sponge-on-a-stick thing...

...that worthless sponge on a stick...

The worth of Jobo Drying Rods depends on how old they are. Earlier ones, which I have two of (one in each size) and use regularly, employed natural sponges that are highly absorbent with great water-holding capacity. Newer versions, which include synthetic sponges, make Vaughn's "worthless" description seem generous. :)

Ari
29-May-2020, 16:49
Takes a day to dry out if hung upside down at 45˚.
A hair dryer and/or extra tank solve the problem of waiting for a tank to dry.

Redbud57
29-May-2020, 17:07
Thanks for the info and tips, all!

Vaughn
29-May-2020, 19:29
Jobo directions say not to exceed 122F -- if it is too hot on your hand, it is too hot for the drum.

Bernice Loui
29-May-2020, 19:38
That sponge dryer thingieee sorta-kinda moves the water around. Does not really dry the drum cylinders. Applying a paper towel with the sponge thingieee can help aid in drying. Still, it takes a while for the cylinders to air dry, could be an hour or more depending on humidity and temperature.

If the cylinders are not dry while loading film, no one is going to be ok with film sticking and a number of other problems.

My solution to this problem is to have more than one drum. This allows quantity processing of sheet film and not be concerned with wet or moist cylinders. This became the answer after struggling with trying to dry off cylinders and making sure they were dry enough to load film without problems. While the multi drum solution is not low cost. It does allow rapid processing of many sheets of film and efficient used of mixed chemistry.

Bernice

Sal Santamaura
30-May-2020, 08:15
That sponge dryer thingieee sorta-kinda moves the water around. Does not really dry the drum cylinders...

Whether or not that's correct depends on a Jobo Drying Rod's vintage:

...Earlier ones, which I have two of (one in each size) and use regularly, employed natural sponges that are highly absorbent with great water-holding capacity. Newer versions, which include synthetic sponges, make Vaughn's "worthless" description seem generous. :)

Peter De Smidt
30-May-2020, 08:32
So, sponges...they should be wetted and wrung out before using.

Sal Santamaura
30-May-2020, 09:41
So, sponges...they should be wetted and wrung out before using.

Doing that has, in my experience, absolutely no positive effect on the newer Jobo Drying Rod synthetic sponges. They're utterly useless regardless.

Bernice Loui
30-May-2020, 10:12
Essentially yes, that sponge thingieee could be OK as a paper towel into cylinder pusher to move the residual fluids inside the cylinder around some what. Other than that, it is not a very useful Jobo item.

Bernice

Doing that has, in my experience, absolutely no positive effect on the newer Jobo Drying Rod synthetic sponges. They're utterly useless regardless.

Vaughn
30-May-2020, 11:28
Fortunately the sponges are not essential to the operation of the drums! But we are also warned about hitting the bottom of the tubes with the sponge and break the seal in the drum.

Martin Aislabie
31-May-2020, 09:12
Watch for water trapped in the lid too.

The lid is both a light trap and a water trap in equal measures.

For what its worth, I load my tanks in the evening, process in the morning and leave them to dry all afternoon.

Martin

Chauncey Walden
2-Jun-2020, 09:42
May I inquire why people don't load the drums full of water? No sticking and even application of the developer since they are prewet.

Peter De Smidt
2-Jun-2020, 10:11
I don't load the tanks while they are filled with water for a number of reasons. First, I don't shoot that much film, and I have a number of tanks. It's rare that I would immediately reuse a drum. Second, I don't pre-wet my film. It's an unnecessary step for BW film, and Ilford, for example, recommends against it. If you do pre-wet film, time consistency is important. 3rd, it's a pain, and it would make me load the tanks in a sink, which I'd prefer not to do. 4th: bumping the tank in the dark could be very unfortunate. That's me. If it works for you, then you should continue doing so!

Vaughn
2-Jun-2020, 15:33
May I inquire why people don't load the drums full of water? No sticking and even application of the developer since they are prewet.

I load at night (out of necessity) and develop the next day -- too long in the water. but I unload them that way.

cowanw
2-Jun-2020, 16:15
I tired once got the first sheet out on the dry side,and in the water on the wet side, then got water on my hand back on the dry side of the room on the holder and got the sheet out but sticky wet fingers bothered me, had to feel the drum to find the empty chamber and got the other hand wet and things went downhill after that dripping water back and forth.

ic-racer
2-Jun-2020, 17:20
I fold a paper towel over the sponge and dry the cylinders that way. Keeps the sponge clean too, because all the black residue goes on the paper towel.

Vaughn
2-Jun-2020, 18:46
I tired once got the first sheet out on the dry side,and in the water on the wet side, then got water on my hand back on the dry side of the room on the holder and got the sheet out but sticky wet fingers bothered me, had to feel the drum to find the empty chamber and got the other hand wet and things went downhill after that dripping water back and forth.

The trick (and I think it is in the instructions, too), is to leave an inch or so of film above the lip of the chamber until one is done loading -- then shove them all down before putting on the lid...

edited...but that is with a dry drum...don't know if I would like doing it on a water-filled drum (partially wet neg for too long.)

Bernice Loui
2-Jun-2020, 19:23
Been doing this leave the film slightly above the cylinder during the loading process for decades. First few times using these Jobo drums, did not leave the film edge out of the cylinder, caused much grief trying to figure out if a given cylinder is loaded with film or not. Not a problem at all with completely dry cylinder & drum.

Bernice

The trick (and I think it is in the instructions, too), is to leave an inch or so of film above the lip of the chamber until one is done loading -- then shove them all down before putting on the lid...

Jim Andrada
6-Jun-2020, 22:24
I'm in Arizona. Nothing takes much more than an hour ir so to dry.

Bernice Loui
7-Jun-2020, 00:15
Except those Hissing Lawns....

Bernice

I'm in Arizona. Nothing takes much more than an hour ir so to dry.