PDA

View Full Version : Couple Agfa-Ansco 5x7 Universal questions

mooresean68
27-May-2020, 18:45
Hi All,

I was lucky enough to nab a Agfa-Ansco 5x7 Universal with a packard shutter even on ebay and am in the process of restoring it. Being fairly new I guess I have a pretty dumb question. I have no idea what to call these little tags, circled in red, at the top of the front standard: So what are they called and what/how are they used?

The second question is around serial numbers, from the research I've done I'm under the working knowledge that these were made between 1926 and 1935 and in the process of restoring and disassembly I have found the number 912 stamped on several parts of the rails and bed. Are there any known serial numbers out there for these Agfa's that would indicate a closer year of manufacture?

Appreciate any help!

Thanks
-Sean

mdarnton
27-May-2020, 20:14
I'm going with calling them "something that didn't originally come on the camera". No idea what they could be for.

Two23
27-May-2020, 21:14
Are the screws not the same color as the others? If not I'll guess it's part of a DIY lens hood.

Kent in SD

mooresean68
28-May-2020, 08:28
The screws, tabs and washers are brass but the screws and tabs have a blackened look to them. Not the normal discolored varnish like on the bar above but maybe painted or a black varnish over the brass is there is such a thing. I'm debating leaving them off altogether or keeping them on and leaving the blackened look or trying to clean them up. Undecided as yet on that.

-Sean

mdarnton
28-May-2020, 09:53
Well, they don't belong, so I'd fill the holes while you have the chance, and finish over them.

Scyg
28-May-2020, 11:16
The second question is around serial numbers, from the research I've done I'm under the working knowledge that these were made between 1926 and 1935 and in the process of restoring and disassembly I have found the number 912 stamped on several parts of the rails and bed. Are there any known serial numbers out there for these Agfa's that would indicate a closer year of manufacture?

Can't help you with the vintage, but my very early no-front-focus no-front-tilt 8x10 Agfa-Ansco Universal View (https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?157934-Restoring-my-quot-new-quot-Agfa-Ansco-8x10) is stamped as 1454. My 1950s gray Ansco 5x7 is 715 (no mistake - just a three-digit number, lower than yours). Probably means this isn't strictly speaking a serial number. Could have just been a matched part identifier in the factory, which would roll over whenever it reached the limit, but that's just a guess.

The screws, tabs and washers are brass but the screws and tabs have a blackened look to them. Not the normal discolored varnish like on the bar above but maybe painted or a black varnish over the brass is there is such a thing. I'm debating leaving them off altogether or keeping them on and leaving the blackened look or trying to clean them up. Undecided as yet on that.
Since they're not original and you don't seem to have a good use for them, I'd get rid of them.

LabRat
28-May-2020, 14:49
Well, they don't belong, so I'd fill the holes while you have the chance, and finish over them.

Keeping 'em answers the question that if something like a filter holder or lens shade system has to be added later, that you don't have to ponder drilling holes later...

Sink some brass screws into them, or add some clamp knobs to secure something to them later...

Steve K