PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a camera to hike 2000+ miles

superman9
26-May-2020, 09:43
Hi all. I'm pretty new to large format photography but very quickly falling in love am looking to explore options for a camera to bring with me backpacking and need some guidance. The hike I'm planning is going to be a couple thousand miles and I want to try to bring a large format camera (or medium, i would also take recommendations on that front but I'm primarily interested in learning about LF options right now) so I'll need it to be pretty durable. On my last hike of this kind I saw sand, rain, and severe winter storms in the mountains, so I'm expecting to see more of the same—the camera needs to be durable if not bombproof. Weight is not a huge concern of mine as my pack's baseweight is ultralight in order to accommodate camera equipment. Durability is a primary concern. I'd like to find something that could be shot handheld if I choose but I'll also have a tripod with me. Thanks in advance folks.

-Josh

Bob Salomon
26-May-2020, 09:50
Hi all. I'm pretty new to large format photography but very quickly falling in love am looking to explore options for a camera to bring with me backpacking and need some guidance. The hike I'm planning is going to be a couple thousand miles and I want to try to bring a large format camera (or medium, i would also take recommendations on that front but I'm primarily interested in learning about LF options right now) so I'll need it to be pretty durable. On my last hike of this kind I saw sand, rain, and severe winter storms in the mountains, so I'm expecting to see more of the same—the camera needs to be durable if not bombproof. Weight is not a huge concern of mine as my pack's baseweight is ultralight in order to accommodate camera equipment. Durability is a primary concern. I'd like to find something that could be shot handheld if I choose but I'll also have a tripod with me. Thanks in advance folks.

-Josh

You just described the Linhof Master Technika.

Hugo Zhang
26-May-2020, 09:55
I remembered a young man freshly graduated from Yale walked from east coast to west cost and then back with our Chamonix 45N2 camera. He took plenty of pictures and kept his vow of silence during his entire walk. He had a pull/push cart loaded with his stuff. It was a few years ago and some members in this forum met him during his long journey.

Corran
26-May-2020, 09:57
You might not consider weight, but you should.

Linhof Master Technika is too heavy. Full stop. I've hiked with it. Don't even consider it, there's no benefit to it in this situation.

Intrepid ultralight "Black" model is the lightest I have used at 2.5 pounds, recently purchased, but durability in to physical damage may not be stellar. I would imagine a good shock will destroy the plastic parts, but rain shouldn't be a problem as it is all plastic and metal.

The Chamonix 45n1 is about 3 pounds (newer models are heavier) and very durable - I've had mine in rain, knocked it over multiple times, and it just keeps going. I've had some issues after years and years of shooting, but nothing is impervious to damage.

I would highly recommend the Chamonix, or the Intrepid if you don't mind some slight risk of physical damage (buy two and have one ready to send by a friend? Still cheaper than the others even if you replace it once or twice!).

archphotofisher
26-May-2020, 10:03
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/greg-hindy-yale-student-photography-cross-country-walking-silence-project-art/1949441/

Greg Hindy
In silence. After a full year of walking, he made it coast to coast. This week marked the final stretch of a journey that started July 9, 2013. Greg Hindy grew up in Nashua, New Hampshire, where he was high school valedictorian and went on to enter the pre-med program at Yale

Bob Salomon
26-May-2020, 10:15

Linhof Master Technika is too heavy. Full stop. I've hiked with it. Don't even consider it, there's no benefit to it in this situation.

Intrepid ultralight "Black" model is the lightest I have used at 2.5 pounds, recently purchased, but durability in to physical damage may not be stellar. I would imagine a good shock will destroy the plastic parts, but rain shouldn't be a problem as it is all plastic and metal.

The Chamonix 45n1 is about 3 pounds (newer models are heavier) and very durable - I've had mine in rain, knocked it over multiple times, and it just keeps going. I've had some issues after years and years of shooting, but nothing is impervious to damage.

I would highly recommend the Chamonix, or the Intrepid if you don't mind some slight risk of physical damage (buy two and have one ready to send by a friend? Still cheaper than the others even if you replace it once or twice!).
Did you see that he said “hand held”?

superman9
26-May-2020, 10:22

Thanks for the reply Corran. A couple things about the cameras you recommended is that those seem quite challenging to shoot handheld where as the Linhof master technika has the rangefinder. I do like the idea of the Intrepid, I have one that I really enjoy but I can't imagine trying to shoot it handheld. Do you have any recommendations for cameras that could be shot in situations where i cant set up a tripod? The second thing about weight is that my baseweight is a little under 10lbs so I can afford to carry a heavier camera.

superman9
26-May-2020, 10:24
Thanks for the recommendation Bob! It's going on the list of potential cameras!

d.s.
26-May-2020, 10:28
Speed Graphic, or Crown Graphic. I'd personally lean towards a rangefinder medium format because the film would be lighter, enabling you to carry more of it and you wouldn't have deal with film holders.

Ari
26-May-2020, 10:34
Wista RF, but you would need to use 135mm, 150mm or 180mm lenses, all Nikon btw, for the optimal experience.
If you don't need movements, maybe the Chroma Snapshot or something like this:https://film.kolve.org/darkroomdiy/will-travel-friendly-cameras/

Oslolens
26-May-2020, 10:51
Will travel 4x5" 65mm ;) But you need someone to 3D print it. Bring two ;)

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Bob Salomon
26-May-2020, 11:13
Wista RF, but you would need to use 135mm, 150mm or 180mm lenses, all Nikon btw, for the optimal experience.
If you don't need movements, maybe the Chroma Snapshot or something like this:https://film.kolve.org/darkroomdiy/will-travel-friendly-cameras/

This answer is a bit confusing. The RF was cammed for those 3 Nikon lenses but service can adjust it for other brands as the flange focal lengths are different.
The MT can be cammed for lenses from 65 to 360mm and all will have full movement with the MT’s bellows.
The RF can also use very short lenses but not with the rangefinder and they would need the wide angle bellows. So it is not nearly as versatile as the MT. Neither are Graflexs or other press cameras.

abruzzi
26-May-2020, 11:13
I’d look at any press camera (or technical camera) that can be folded up with a lens inside.

I was surprised that my Master Technika is actually lighter than my Shen Hao field camera. It’s certainly not light, but my experience backpacking we’d usually have 50-60 pound packs, if photography is a big part of trip, sacrifice other items to account for the weight, and get a bunch of 1gallon ziploc bags to protect things from the elements.

To me (a newb in LF land) the biggest issue with LF over 2000 miles, is film holders. They take quite a lot of space, and I don’t think I’d want to take more than 6-8 holders (even 8 seems like it would take up too much space.) so that 16 shots at best, so you’ll need a changing bag, and a storage plan for the film you’ve shot. To me, on a long backpacking trip, that’s too much to go wrong. A bunch rolls of 120 seems like it would be much more manageable.

popdoc
26-May-2020, 11:16
For durability, ease of repair, access to parts, and “hot swappable” if required, consider a Speed Graphic with a rangefinder.
Less expensive, battlefield proven, can find them by the dozen on the internet if something happens to the one you’re carrying and need to replace it. Has enough movements for the hike (assume that you’re not going on an architectural highlights tour).

Also, grab a 120 roll film back and a viewfinder mask to match for added flexibility.

I toss my anniversary model Speed Graphic with a towel around it into my rucksack when I go skiing without worry, leaving my Linhof Super T and Wista behind.

Have a blast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

popdoc
26-May-2020, 11:18
Forgot to mention the value of a really clean grafmatic back or two. I carry those exclusively when hiking...

Corran
26-May-2020, 11:19
I missed handholdable.

What are you shooting?

Insisting on handheld cameras, for the purposes of landscape which was my assumption, I think is a very bad idea. Even with 400-speed film I would constantly be unable to shoot faster than 1/4 to 1/15 second exposures at typical apertures. Are you going to risk those shutter speeds with 4x5 film?

My Chamonix and CF tripod still weigh less than just the Linhof...

If that is mission-critical then get a 120 folder like the Makina.

Corran
26-May-2020, 11:25
Alternatively if you can live without movements and can deal with limited lens choices, one of the 3D-printed handheld cameras like the Mercury would work. I use one with a 47mm XL handheld occasionally. That is not a typical everyday lens though. A 90mm of some variety would work easily enough. Anything longer gets messy. Basically hyperfocal focusing.

Ari
26-May-2020, 11:35
Insisting on handheld cameras, for the purposes of landscape which was my assumption, I think is a very bad idea. Even with 400-speed film I would constantly be unable to shoot faster than 1/4 second exposures at typical apertures.

Gotta agree here.
For a minimal amount of IQ improvement (mostly due to slow shutter speeds), you're carrying a lot more weight with the 4x5 kit.
A Pentax 67, two lenses, wide/normal, and a ton of 120 film would be my choice. Or a Mamiya 7 if you like RF cameras.
I'd even consider a Fuji GX680. My modest set-up, with two lenses, two backs and two viewfinders weighs just under 21 pounds including backpack, and that kit can do anything.

interneg
26-May-2020, 11:51

Or a Fuji 6x9 - but yes, I'd agree that if handholdability & weight matter, a good medium format RF will often provide a better compromise of quality and ease of use than dragging an LF camera along. The Linhof is less of a monster than many appear to be suggesting, but it's far too much camera for straightforward handheld work where weight is a principle consideration.

superman9
26-May-2020, 11:57
I missed handholdable.

What are you shooting?

Insisting on handheld cameras, for the purposes of landscape which was my assumption, I think is a very bad idea. Even with 400-speed film I would constantly be unable to shoot faster than 1/4 to 1/15 second exposures at typical apertures. Are you going to risk those shutter speeds with 4x5 film?

My Chamonix and CF tripod still weigh less than just the Linhof...

Corran,
my plan is to attempt to document the experience of thruhiking one of america's scenic trails—not so much create a work of landscape photographs though of course I'll make some along the way—but moreso to try and capture the human experience of the trail. Lot's of portraits, environmental and otherwise.

Bob Salomon
26-May-2020, 11:58
Or a Fuji 6x9 - but yes, I'd agree that if handholdability & weight matter, a good medium format RF will often provide a better compromise of quality and ease of use than dragging an LF camera along. The Linhof is less of a monster than many appear to be suggesting, but it's far too much camera for straightforward handheld work where weight is a principle consideration.

Did you ever meet Mary Ellen Mark? She was quite small, but used the MT hand held with no problem.

Vaughn
26-May-2020, 11:58
I hope you get a chance to make lots of images with a 4x5 camera before your trip. That experience will tell you what you need for your adventure. It may be with experience, you'll find hand-holding is not as important -- or perhaps still super important.

For me, one of the major advantages of LF over roll film is image management (the camera movements and how they affect the image)...and that weighs heavy on the camera design I use in the field. For backpacking I use a Gowland PocketView 4x5...2.5 lbs with lens and most movements (except rear shift and rear rise/fall), but not designed to be hand-held.

If hand-held is still important for you, I'll second a Crown Graphic (lighter than the Speed) and it does have a usable front tilt. But look at the Busch Press Cameras, also, as their front tilt is a little more straight forward.

superman9
26-May-2020, 12:03
Thanks Ari,
If I go the Pentax route—how concerned do I need to be about using the camera in rain and snow?

Two23
26-May-2020, 12:03
Fuji gs690w.

Kent in SD

superman9
26-May-2020, 12:06
consider a Speed Graphic with a rangefinder.
Less expensive, battlefield proven

Looking at them right now and I think that might be a great choice! Thanks popdoc.

Corran
26-May-2020, 12:06
I'll not reiterate what Vaughn said, but it's def spot on!

Which trail are you looking at? Just curious, as I live about 10 miles as the crow flies from the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.

I've seen a lot of portraits from the AT. It's not something I find super interesting, but if it were me, I'd probably either go with a small and lightweight TLR to capture more "instantaneous" moments, or if insisting on 4x5 with the option of handheld use, a Crown or Speed Graphic cherry-picked to have a good lens with accurate RF. Lens choice will be a bit personal and depend on your sensibilities, but the 135mm Xenar will be common and easy to find with hopefully that RF working properly, or the Kodak Ektar 152mm f/4.5 is another option I've seen on Graphics.

CreationBear
26-May-2020, 12:08
Lot's of portraits, environmental and otherwise.

That sounds like a great adventure!:) Any time "portraits" are on the agenda, I think I'd automatically second Ari's recommendation of a Pentax 67, with either the classic 105/2.4 (or, if you're a bit shy:)) the 165/2.8. Either would work as a nice "normal" to short tele landscape option as well. (NB, you'd probably want to pick up a couple of extension tubes--about the only problem with the old Pentax 67 lens designs was that the MFD leaves something to be desired.)

I will say, however, that for myself at least packing a film camera isn't so much about the weight as it is the cubes: as someone who's primarily looking to shoot landscapes, I've found that my Horseman "technical" camera with a roll film back packs away a lot smaller than my P67 kit, even if the weight is somewhat comparable.

superman9
26-May-2020, 12:23
I'll not reiterate what Vaughn said, but it's def spot on!

Which trail are you looking at? Just curious, as I live about 10 miles as the crow flies from the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.

I've seen a lot of portraits from the AT. It's not something I find super interesting, but if it were me, I'd probably either go with a small and lightweight TLR to capture more "instantaneous" moments, or if insisting on 4x5 with the option of handheld use, a Crown or Speed Graphic cherry-picked to have a good lens with accurate RF. Lens choice will be a bit personal and depend on your sensibilities, but the 135mm Xenar will be common and easy to find with hopefully that RF working properly, or the Kodak Ektar 152mm f/4.5 is another option I've seen on Graphics.

I'm planning a second hike of the PCT though the AT is definitely on my list! I also see a lot of mediocre portraiture from the trail which I'm not super interested in—I'm more inspired by the early press photographers and would like to try and document the trail in a similar style. The speed graphic seems like it definitely would be a good options.

Do you have any TLR's you'd recommend? I have a Mamiya C330 and she's definitely a beast but boy do I love her.

Corran
26-May-2020, 12:28
Yeah those Mamiyas are big, way bigger than more simple TLRs. I have a few different Rolleis, so probably would choose one of those based on weight, condition, and lens (I am quite partial to a very early model Rolleicord with a Triplet lens, which is also the lightest I think). Get it serviced before you go.

interneg
26-May-2020, 12:34
Did you ever meet Mary Ellen Mark? She was quite small, but used the MT hand held with no problem.

I know folk of the same build who use Arri IIC's and 235's handheld, but they don't try trekking across the country with them in a backpack! The MT is fine to use handheld, but what I was getting at was my wish that Linhof had made something more like the Linhof Technika Press in 4x5...

Vaughn
26-May-2020, 14:45
TLR -- a well maintained (or freshly CLAed) Rolleicord...light, good lens, don't drop it, but it is made to be used. I do not know how many images you are going to be making while it is significantly snowing or raining. That's when I have a waterproof stuff sack over the camera.

PS - Bryan...thanks for the compliment...I particularly liked my, "their front tilt is a little more straight forward"...;)

Gary Beasley
26-May-2020, 14:49
For a long hike I know weight is important. Seems to me a good folding medium format camera and a brick of film would be perfect. Ive seen the older ones that fold flat enough to slip into your coat pocket or the pocket of some baggy pants!

GG12
26-May-2020, 14:55
Agreed. Personally, I'd start with 120 format, and "add features" as you think you need them. If movements are key, then look at what is available. A Cambo or other pancake tech cameras are pretty small stuff, although a bit pricey. Maybe a 2x3 view camera?

Ari
26-May-2020, 14:59
Thanks Ari,
If I go the Pentax route—how concerned do I need to be about using the camera in rain and snow?

Superman, the Pentax 67 is pretty rugged, and I've used it in the winter as much as the summer, rain, snow or shine. Of course I didn't spend hours and hours everyday outdoors in winter, as you're planning to do.
It might be possible to have it weather-sealed as well; can't think of anyone offhand, but the service may still exist.

I find 67, 68 and 69 to be somewhat close in quality to 4x5. With careful technique, it can rival 4x5.
But again, if camera movements are a deciding factor, it's 4x5 (or the pork-o-matic GX680) with a tripod.

Bob Salomon
26-May-2020, 15:32
Superman, the Pentax 67 is pretty rugged, and I've used it in the winter as much as the summer, rain, snow or shine. Of course I didn't spend hours and hours everyday outdoors in winter, as you're planning to do.
It might be possible to have it weather-sealed as well; can't think of anyone offhand, but the service may still exist.

I find 67, 68 and 69 to be somewhat close in quality to 4x5. With careful technique, it can rival 4x5.
But again, if camera movements are a deciding factor, it's 4x5 (or the pork-o-matic GX680) with a tripod.

Maybe you should consider this about the Pentax if you are going on a 2000 mile hike:

“... The camera is completely battery dependent. Power is provided by a 6 volt PX28 (originally Mercury-specified 1968, and Silver Oxide 1971), but equal substitutes PX28S/4SR44.”

Rollei SL66 and Hasselblad 500C, and variants, don’t use a battery, except for the SL66 versions with a built in meter.

Of course, 45 technical cameras don’t use batteries either.

Chester McCheeserton
26-May-2020, 15:34
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1316682-REG/sony_cyber_shot_rx1r_ii_digital.html

Ironage
26-May-2020, 15:44
If you want to use film, I would recommend an old folder like a rangefinder Welta or Zeiss Ikon. Large negative, and less weight and space when folded. You will want one in top condition though.

Tin Can
26-May-2020, 16:16
We had a hiker here once, I even put him up for 3 days

He hiked America East to West and back, then did it North and South

He shot so much 4X5 film it was a huge problem for him to process it all

He sent packets of film home to a bank vault

Boston_Matt
26-May-2020, 16:32
I would go w/ a Mamiya 7 and 2 lenses, a few batteries, and lots of film. No tight head shots or camera movements, but great IQ, and (IMO) durable / pack-able enough for such a hike. If you are on the AT, you could also ship a 4x5 & tripod to a post office near a good location, then ship forward up the trail or back home when you get tired of carrying it.
Else a Mercury plastic 4x5 or 5x7 w/ the shift module. Very light but not sure how it would hold up over 2k miles.

Dugan
26-May-2020, 16:58
Back in the early 1990's, I was planning on hiking the Appalachian Trail with a camera. I got as far as buying a Fuji G645S rangefinder..the one with the "roll bar" around the lens. Sharp as heck! I was going to shoot Fujichrome 50 or Velvia. Then life intervened, and the AT hike never happened. Good luck, have fun, and safe travels!

LabRat
26-May-2020, 18:02
Olympus XA... ;-)

Steve K

Peter De Smidt
26-May-2020, 18:03
I'd use two fuji rangefinders, one with a normal and one with a wide lens.

uphereinmytree
26-May-2020, 18:23
I would shove a holga in the pack as well

angusparker
26-May-2020, 19:21
For 4x5, the lightest Chamonix which folds, which I think is the N2, but you could ask if they would make you a N1. For medium format I’d go with the Fuji GF670 as it has a built in light meter meaning one less thing to carry.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
26-May-2020, 23:34
Hi, there are so many useful recommendations here!

I'd prefer Graflex, Fujica 690 and - Horsemans: what about a Horseman FA or a Horseman VH?

The FA essentially has the same functionality as a Linhof technika, but weights only 1,9 kg, it is affordable and has smaller lensboards.

I wouldn't recommend the Intrepid concept - you would have to store your lens separately and it is crappy.

Also useful: a Horseman VH (as a smaller FA), with Ilford Pan F+ or Kodak T-Max 100 in 6x9 ... A Horseman 985 is even more affordable (200 USD) and offers a range finder ... They're also lighter than a Mamiya RB or a Zenza Bronica with its set of lenses.

Lighter than Horsemans? Graflex Crown Century 4x5 without RF etc. and Graflex Century Graphic 6x9 - but: there aren't much movements ...

Jim Jones
27-May-2020, 11:24
After many decades of using Leica and Nikon 35mm cameras and a variety of press and view cameras, it seems to me that digital equipment has overwhelming advantages for a 2000 mile hike like the OP proposes. Sometimes we have to sacrifice a little image quality for practical reasons.

superman9
27-May-2020, 13:24
After many decades of using Leica and Nikon 35mm cameras and a variety of press and view cameras, it seems to me that digital equipment has overwhelming advantages for a 2000 mile hike like the OP proposes. Sometimes we have to sacrifice a little image quality for practical reasons.

I did carry a digital camera the first time but found myself yearning for film. You’re right that digital is far more practical but since I have an idea what I’m getting into I think I can pull it off.

Vaughn
27-May-2020, 15:35
I did not find a post referring to it; the Crown and Speed Graphics are about the same camera, but the Speed is heavier due to the extra shutter (roll type) in the back. The advantage of the Speed is that you can use lenses that are not in shutters. I have used the rear shutter and they work fine...and the word "Speed" comes from the fast shutter speed the back shutter can reach (1/1000 sec)...faster than lens shutters (max can be 1/125). Just more info to think about!

These cameras came with a big flash that bolted onto the side. Might be advantageous to rig up a way to attach a very small umbrella onto the side -- protect it during the rain and snow images!:cool:

superman9
27-May-2020, 16:12
These cameras came with a big flash that bolted onto the side. Might be advantageous to rig up a way to attach a very small umbrella onto the side -- protect it during the rain and snow images!:cool:

That’s a great idea! I’ll certainly see if there’s a way I can manage that!

Bob Salomon
27-May-2020, 16:38
Novoflex makes an umbrella that attaches directly to a backpack strap. It is also an adjustable length hiking stick and easily converts into a shooting blind with an accessory kit. Since it is silver on one side it can be used as a reflector.

Vaughn
27-May-2020, 17:27
Don't know why they do not have an accessory to turn the silver side into a solar oven!

John Layton
27-May-2020, 18:45
Would it be possible for you to do a "dry run" of perhaps a few days to vet out possible logistical hassles with LF gear? Just saying...that multiple days out on the trail with LF gear in variable weather conditions...rain, wind, moisture issues, etc. - plus time conflicts of needing to get to a certain place by dark vs. spending possibly significant amounts of time which LF demands, etc. Keeping film and film holders clean, dry, and relatively dust-free over multiple days can also be a problem. Needing to stay on the move, but open to sudden points of inspiration...needing to respond as fully as possible to quickly changing light conditions while shouldering a backpack, possibly in addition to awkward footing at an otherwise ideal location, etc. etc. Lighting conditions which are so marginal that they would make adequate shutter speeds and/or depth of focus impossible with LF (assuming hand held), problems exacerbated by exhaustion induced shakiness. Situations such as these can add up to compositional/technical compromises which can result in less than satisfying results (while shouldering needless extra weight) when compared to, say a medium format rangefinder camera (such as a Fuji/Voigtlander GF or Mamiya 7) which can always be at the ready to shoot handheld, and give stellar results in otherwise marginal conditions.

Tough decisions to be made for sure, and no matter what you end up with there will be compromises. Good luck!

cjbecker
27-May-2020, 18:47
It has not been brought up yet, but have a look at the busch pressman D, its bulletproof, will fold up with the lens attached. Which I think is a big deal for hiking with a 4x5. I would go down the road of press style camera either way. Even if it does not a rangefinder, its pretty easy to focus using the gg and then slide a holder in and compose with the wire finder.

Bob Salomon
27-May-2020, 18:55
Don't know why they do not have an accessory to turn the silver side into a solar oven!

They don’t. Look for Novoflex Patron to see what it is.

Peter Lewin
27-May-2020, 19:32
... the biggest issue with LF over 2000 miles, is film holders. They take quite a lot of space, and I don’t think I’d want to take more than 6-8 holders (even 8 seems like it would take up too much space.) so that 16 shots at best, so you’ll need a changing bag, and a storage plan for the film you’ve shot. To me, on a long backpacking trip, that’s too much to go wrong. A bunch rolls of 120 seems like it would be much more manageable.
Without getting into recommendations for specific cameras, I second the above concerns. While I love 4x5 for a variety of reasons, for long hikes the logistics become problematic. Aside from the bulk and weight of the holders, loading and unloading film becomes an issue, as does carrying boxes of 4x5 film. (You will also have to decide on a "management technique" for exposed negatives. You can simply keep them in the same boxes as unexposed negatives in their own plastic sleeve, but you run the risk of mixing things up, as well as having no way to segregate negatives either in terms of Normal processing versus + our - variations or even keeping multiple exposures separate if you take the same image twice and want to have a spare negative if there are problems processing the first one. Otherwise you are carrying extra empty poxes to fill up as you go). Roll film will be much more practical.

superman9
27-May-2020, 19:46
Would it be possible for you to do a "dry run" of perhaps a few days to vet out possible logistical hassles with LF gear? Just saying...that multiple days out on the trail with LF gear in variable weather conditions...rain, wind, moisture issues, etc. - plus time conflicts of needing to get to a certain place by dark vs. spending possibly significant amounts of time which LF demands, etc. Keeping film and film holders clean, dry, and relatively dust-free over multiple days can also be a problem. Needing to stay on the move, but open to sudden points of inspiration...needing to respond as fully as possible to quickly changing light conditions while shouldering a backpack, possibly in addition to awkward footing at an otherwise ideal location, etc. etc. Lighting conditions which are so marginal that they would make adequate shutter speeds and/or depth of focus impossible with LF (assuming hand held), problems exacerbated by exhaustion induced shakiness

Thanks for the well wishes! You raise a lot of good issues and these are all things I’m still trying to weigh. I’ve mentioned before this isn’t my first hike of this kind so I do have somewhat of an idea how hard things can be especially the pressure to stay moving which you note. With all my gear I’ll test it out before I trust it to stay with me for months on end. I’m still in the exploratory phase of this and have not committed to this yet but I really want to give this due consideration—if I were to bring a LF kit what would be the best way? Your answer really does help succinctly put together the issues I’ll need to consider.

superman9
27-May-2020, 19:47
Without getting into recommendations for specific cameras, I second the above concerns. While I love 4x5 for a variety of reasons, for long hikes the logistics become problematic. Aside from the bulk and weight of the holders, loading and unloading film becomes an issue, as does carrying boxes of 4x5 film. (You will also have to decide on a "management technique" for exposed negatives. You can simply keep them in the same boxes as unexposed negatives in their own plastic sleeve, but you run the risk of mixing things up, as well as having no way to segregate negatives either in terms of Normal processing versus + our - variations or even keeping multiple exposures separate if you take the same image twice and want to have a spare negative if there are problems processing the first one. Otherwise you are carrying extra empty poxes to fill up as you go). Roll film will be much more practical.

Any specific medium format recommendations that are pretty bulletproof and could stand up to some serious conditions?

6x6TLL
27-May-2020, 19:57
I would suggest as many others have, that 4x5 is not the format that makes the most sense for an extended hike. If you were going away for a weekend or even a week, I could see it being an option, but for 2000 miles it doesn't really fit with what you want to do. Beyond the fiddlyness and having to set up and break down the camera for each shot (the Graphic's probably being among the easier to deploy), you want to document life on the trail, which says spontaneity and being prepared for taking a shot as it happens. As soon as you break out the camera and start setting it up (or unfolding it), you change the dynamic between you and your subject. It would be a nightmare carrying/changing/storing film and holders, also already pointed out.

As has already been stated, a lightweight roll film camera would be the perfect companion and tool for this kind of project. Either an RF, something like the Fuji's (G/GA/GS/GX/GW/GF,etc) or my own favorite for lightweight photography when trekking or traveling, a Rollei TLR. The former will give you a slightly larger negative (and possibly interchangeable lenses), the latter portability, rugged reliability in a compact and light package. Filters (for close ups, B&W photography) are tiny and readily available, image quality is great, even compared to modern lenses.

I also use a Rollei 6008, something I would not recommend to go backpacking with (or the SL66 which weighs a ton, or the Hassy with multiple lenses, the Pentax 67 is a beast, etc).

For what you describe, I would suggest cutting down and limiting yourself to keep things simple, that will allow you to explore and get creative within the constraints of your chosen kit and really capture the moments by actually being in them, rather than focused on the gear, loading film, setting up the camera, and so on.

My 2 cents.

Jody_S
27-May-2020, 20:08
to try and capture the human experience of the trail. Lot's of portraits, environmental and otherwise.

If all you were looking for were convenience, you could just use your phone. If you're looking for portability and excellent image quality, use a mirrorless Sony or whatever. If you want to put on a performance and start conversations with people, then absolutely go the 4x5 route. There's nothing like seeing a wooden camera on a tripod to get people to stop for a chat. If you must shoot handheld on occasion, then the Crown Graphic is made for you. Folds up into a convenient and very durable aluminum box with the lens inside. If you want to put on more of a show, then go the wooden folder route and find a decent brass lens in shutter, but there's a much greater chance of that setup needing repairs along the way. You can fold up the Graphic and it won't be damaged by normal drops, dust or rain, but you might want to keep some ziplocks on hand to protect the shutter/lens and your film holders. I've never used a Grafmatic but they seem ideal, however I don't imagine they tolerate water, sand and dirt very well.

If you do decide to go with medium format, I second the Rolleicord, or the 1930s-type folding camera (without a rangefinder, you don't really need it and it adds a lot of weight and expense). It's a lot easier to manage a couple bricks of 120 film than to deal with film holders and boxes of 4x5. But personally I would go the 4x5 route, for the human element. I would find a 1920s-30s folding wooden camera of the Japanese style, and make a foam compartment in my backpack for it. And bring some gaffer's tape and wood glue in case something breaks. I might even go the vintage wooden tripod route if I had one that fit the camera, they're a lot cheaper than a carbon fiber thingy of similar weight and they add a lot of style to the setup.

Gary Beasley
27-May-2020, 20:18
I would think along the lines of this if it were fully mechanical and find a Weston or similar selenium cell meter so the need for batteries is nonexistent. The 645 format gives you 15 shots on a roll, optimizing film use but still big enough for really good quality.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283887644775

Vaughn
27-May-2020, 21:27
I hitch-hiked/backpacked around NZ with a heavy 4x5 for 3 months, and bicycled around the same for 5 months with a lighter 4x5. Five or six holders and a standard changing bag...easily doable. Success is not determined by the number of sheets exposed, or how easy it is, or even how many negs one ends up worth printing. It is the experience of seeing in a different way, in a different place, under different circumstances, and loving it. I certainly did...even when on the 3-month trip my 4x5 had a massive light leak (a learning opportunity that made the 6-month trip incredible).

You can't say "I'll never do that again" if you never give it a try. Exciting!

Tripod. Perhaps concentrate on hand-holding, and occasionally use a bag to fill with dirt/sand to use as a camera support for longer exposures...or a heavy-duty form of a small table-top tripod? Hiking stick with a threaded top to use as a monopod for a little extra support for hand-held shots (or the monopole lashed to a tree)?

Two23
27-May-2020, 21:31
I would really take a look at Fuji GSW690iii. Takes 6x9 on 120 film, quick to use, compact, rugged, works without batteries. Has either a semi wide 65mm or normal 90mm lens. I just don't see 4x5 working for what you want. The 120 roll film is perfect.

Kent in SD

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
27-May-2020, 23:52
I would think along the lines of this if it were fully mechanical and find a Weston or similar selenium cell meter so the need for batteries is nonexistent. The 645 format gives you 15 shots on a roll, optimizing film use but still big enough for really good quality.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283887644775

Yes, a Sekonic L28c2 or L398 (incident light, selenium) with a Graflex Century Graphic or a Mamiya 23 with back movement and two rollfilm backs, and also a light weight Gitzo Sport Performance: that would be a reliable combination for hiking, IMHO.

GoodOldNorm
28-May-2020, 02:12
Fuji gsw6x7iii (more shots per roll than 6x9) yellow/green filter and a polariser, lots of asa 400 film a light tripod or even a Gorilla pod and a Sekonic L308 light meter. Carry it in a chest pack except when you need to place your feet on tricky terrain.

Drew Bedo
28-May-2020, 04:49
I haven't read the whole thread so this may be redundant.

Inmy youth I did some long-trek backpacking. On that kind of trip weight is a paramount consideration. Shaving ounces everywhere is the rule. LF gear is by nature heavy as everything is big.

In terms of a 4x5 camera, look for a Gowland "Pocket View". This is a minimalist 4x5 rail camera. It is very light (don't have a figure) and collapses down to a small package. For lenses that are ultra light, think about the Schneider 90m f/6.8 Angulon. Another might be the little 127mm f/4.7 Yashinon lenses from the Polaroid 110 cameras. There are other, optically r "better" lenses, but these are pretty good and are relative featherweights.

I no longer backpack. My 4x5 kit is built around a little Wista made Zone VI. I carry a 90mm Nikkor, a 150 Fujinon and a 210mm Caltar IIN alontg with 6-8 film holders, meter, loupe, hood etc. The tripos is an older Velbon CF tripod with a magnesium alloy ball head. Altogether, this kit is packed into a LowePro Magnum 35 shoulder bag and it weigh TWENTY-FOUR POUNDS. I work out of the trunk of our ar and move it all around on a set of luggage .

mmerig
28-May-2020, 06:40

-Josh

After reading every post here, and after hiking hundreds of miles with a 4 by 5 in remote areas, my suggestion is DO NOT bring a 4 by 5 on the trip you are planning, given your objectives (stated elsewhere). As many have said here, keep it simple and light. Roll film is the way to go, and if you want an "interesting" camera that people may warm up to, anything that is not a cellphone will work, and anything with a bellows will make you look like Indiana Jones.

One of the 2 by 3 press cameras is a good option - simple, light, rugged, compact, not too expensive. Bring a normal lens and use scale focusing, or a cammed rangefinder. Maybe bring a wide angle for scenics and use the ground glass for that if you need to. And you won't really need a tripod, just focus it, then put the roll film back on again (look for a camera with a graflok back). A bit awkward and slow, but saves the weight and hassle of a tripod. You could put a tiny ball head on the top of a hiking pole and use it as a mono-pod for the slow-shutter-speed shots -- this is marginal of course. A small exposure meter will come in handy. Add in a bunch of film, a filter or two, and your good to go for good going.

Unless you really think you'll be making huge enlargements, or need the advantages of individual sheets, movements, etc. of LF cameras, don't bring one. An LF camera is a great tool, until you have to use it, especially when it's the wrong tool for the job.

As an aside, I have been printing 620-format Panatomic-X negatives taken 80 years ago in the Teton Range, on Chicago Mountaineering Club trips (my friend's dad, who took the pictures, was a notable pioneer mountaineer). Many are people pictures and environmental portraits. They are amazing images, and I never wished he had used a 4 by 5. For many of his images, there would not be an image if he had a 4 by 5.

People often regret what they did not do, and if you do this trip with a smaller camera, you may be regretting not bringing a 4 by 5. To avoid this, borrow a 4 by 5 kit, go on a ten-day backpack in rugged county, and get it out of your system. Better than taking a 4 by 5 for 2000 miles and regretting not taking a smaller, simpler system.

Maybe I am wrong, and you'll relish plodding along with a huge pack, and fiddling around with a clunky, complicated camera system. If that is so, then really go for it and bring an 8 by 10.

Good luck and have fun!!

Alan Klein
28-May-2020, 06:51
Corran,
my plan is to attempt to document the experience of thruhiking one of america's scenic trails—not so much create a work of landscape photographs though of course I'll make some along the way—but moreso to try and capture the human experience of the trail. Lot's of portraits, environmental and otherwise.
A large format is the wrong camera for your needs especially since you're hiking 2000 miles.

grat
28-May-2020, 07:49
The Maymiya C series TLR cameras might be an option for you. They're 120 film, 6x6, solidly built, with interchangeable lenses available, and they're still relatively inexpensive, as they've never been "collectible".

LabRat
28-May-2020, 11:00
To pull back from gear, what's important is how the individual hiking and carrying "life support" interfaces with what they envision, and how well the photog can "translate" through a process to create meaningful results... This will determine what "gear" is used...

At one time, early photographers had little choice but to bring a caravan of stuff just to be able to shoot the medium of the day, but there's so many choices now, so the "best" would be what is most practical...

What are you using now that translates your vision??? This comes down to what you prefer to shoot now, and remember you will be also carrying everything needed to support continued shooting along your trek...

The more involved it is to grab shots upon demand, the less you will ultimately shoot and successfully bring home...

Meanwhile the weight will be on your shoulders...

Be smart...

Steve K

Drew Wiley
28-May-2020, 17:16
Filmholders etc are going to be appreciable weight by themselves. If you want to take 4x5, trimming the weight of the camera itself down will allow you to take a decent tripod for no more cumulative weight than a something metal handheld. I can't imagine being without a tripod and expecting to get many good shots. But if you step down to MF, the Fuji 6x9 and 6x7 rangefinders are wonderful and affordable, and handhold exceptionally well, but have a fixed non-interchangeable lens. I personally prefer the 6x9 version with the 90mm lens, not the 65mm superwide. Frankly, last minute decisions are not a great idea. One needs to be already comfortable with their equipment and use it intuitively in harsh or stormy conditions, and hopefully, not get it promptly ruined. Being unfamiliar with gear or getting blemished shots can be quite a disappointment after a lot of strenuous effort. Keeping sheet film and filmholders clean in wilderness conditions is an acquired skill too. Roll film cameras are easier. Gosh, I've sure done it all. I have no idea of how many thousands of miles I've traveled in harsh terrain with view cameras. I passed 10,000 miles about 30 years ago, but now over 70, find myself using medium format gear more often than before when it is appropriate.

Greg Y
28-May-2020, 21:30
Corran,

Superman, you've had lots of great advice here. Your statement here really does point more in the direction of a medium rather than large format camera. With LF, besides the extra weight and technical problems you'd lose much of the spontaneity involved in photographing the "human experience of the trail." As far as cameras themselves, a Pentax 67 would be like carrying a kettlebell. They're big and unwieldy and depend on batteries. The Mamiya 6 & 7 also are electronic and battery dependent. I think your best choice is one of the mechanical cameras Rolleiflex, Plaubel Makina, or Fuji GW67,8,9. Your choice. Stunning large prints can be made from any 6x6, 6x7,6x8,6x9 neqatives.

Andrew Plume
29-May-2020, 04:51
I've read all of the posts (with interest) and agree, 4 x 5 should be disregarded, roll film the only way to go

If it was me, I'd take two Cameras. The first a light weight TLR (not one of the Mamiya series), the second a Horseman VH (and a few lenses). With the TLR you have 'the hand held option' and with the VH, plenty of movements. All in all, imo a good marriage

Good luck and regards

Andrew

Drew Bedo
29-May-2020, 06:00
And now an alternative thought on backpacking with LF:

Packing-in all the gear for LF work for a long trek in the deep-wild may not be practical without pack animals . . .OK.

But on a 2,00 mile trek the trekkie will have to do the trips in legs with regular resupply and probably outside support of some sort. If shooting MF along the way there will be a need to exchange exposed rolls of film for fresh, maybe batteries too. Why not plan on picking up a 4x5 kit with loaded film holders at one of these supply points and doing a few limited day hikes or bare-bones overnights to special places. Return to the supply point , drop off the 4x5 kit, pick up the full trail pack and move out.

Whoever is doing the supply/.support can see to it that the film holders are reloaded and the shot film processed, then bring it all to the next planned photo drom.

A lot of planning has to go into a walking trip of this sort. If phot5ography is to be a major part of the experience then factoring in a 4x5 drop and resupply should be workable a addition.

HMG
29-May-2020, 06:29
I may have missed it, but I did not see much discussion about accessibility. LF takes time to set up and I could imagine many cases where you wouldn't be able to get the shot you wanted because of that. Then there's the issue of managing sheet film. I assume you're not going to carry all your unexposed and exposed film through the entire through hike. So now you have multiple boxes to deal with and all the attendant handling. Much easier to do this with roll film.

As to reliability, simpler is better. The more features, the more that could go wrong. I think a recently CLAd 6x9 folder (perhaps with new bellows) might be best. You could even bring 2 - 1 for a backup. Have a 3rd with someone who could mail it to a resupply point. A tiny meter, like the Sekonic Twin Mate, will be fine when you can't rely on sunny 16. The biggest drawback is that they all have "normal" lenses and you might prefer a more wide lens.

Alternatively, with a camera that has a removable lens and shutter, you can carry a spare lens/shutter (assuming that the lens/shutter is the weakest link). For example, with a Mamiya C220 (lighter and simpler than your C330) you can easily carry both a 65mm lens and a 80mm lens.

There's the Horseman 2x3 cameras, but I think by the time you add a roll film back you've increased the bulk significantly.

CreationBear
29-May-2020, 06:42
As far as cameras themselves, a Pentax 67 would be like carrying a kettlebell

One of the best descriptions of the P67 yet...I called mine the "Beast of the Southern Wilds."

angusparker
29-May-2020, 07:47
Fuji gsw6x7iii (more shots per roll than 6x9) yellow/green filter and a polariser, lots of asa 400 film a light tripod or even a Gorilla pod and a Sekonic L308 light meter. Carry it in a chest pack except when you need to place your feet on tricky terrain.

The Fuji GF670 is the modern version of this camera with built in light meter. It’s a folding camera so it takes up less space. Can be used handheld with iso 400 film.

John Layton
29-May-2020, 11:36
I have both versions of the GF670 - Wide and Normal...wonderful cameras for hiking, great "access logistics," in terms of readiness and minimal interruption of other workflow (like walking). Great viewfinder (clear, sharp - very close to that on my Leica M-6) allows for quick and decisive arrival at compositions, and the extremely smooth shutter release translates well to slow(ish) speed hand-holdability. Also nice to pair with a lightweight tripod (Feisol tall traveler in my case). Decent metering although I sometimes bring along my Pentax digital spot meter.

Regarding the "normal" (folding) version...some might point out (with partial correctness) that the bellows and strut mechanisms might be vulnerable when the camera is unfolded, and I might add to this that a repeated, days on end hiking experience...possibly accompanied by an equally days on end wet weather event - might add up to some type of mechanical failure and/or fatal ingress of moisture. Thing is, this camera is compact enough when folded to be placed quickly into a small, padded dry-pack, or simply slid beneath an outer water-resistant shell layer of clothing...whereas such quickly accessed protection might be untenable, logistics-wise, with a bulkier camera.

The wide version (GF-670W) is inherently better protected as it lacks a bellows mechanism, and is likely better sealed than an interchangeable lens camera. I've done multi-day hikes in NH's White Mountains with just this camera by itself, and find the combo of the 55mm focal length with the 6x7 format to be extremely versatile.

John Layton
29-May-2020, 11:48
ps...a hint about hiking with LF if you insist - something light (and metal) like a Gowland 4x5, or perhaps something cheaply cobbled together with plywood and sealed with a penetrating finish (my own "minimalist" 5x7 for example - see photos) - and keep the camera (with a compact, wide or semi-wide lens) mounted on a light tripod, place a plastic bag or waterproof stuff sack over either just the camera or the camera plus tripod, and keep the whole thing secured to the outside of your pack (ready to grab and set up quickly), for the duration of your hike. Again...do a shakedown hike first to get things worked out. 204261 204262 204263 204264

Alan Gales
29-May-2020, 14:01
Hmmm! Hiking 2,000+ miles with a 4x5? You really must be Superman! Good luck on your journey and watch out for kryptonite. :cool:

Maris Rusis
29-May-2020, 18:41
I went to New Zealand a couple of years ago and covered about 2000 kilometres in the North and South Islands. Drove nearly every day, hiked nearly every day, covered some rough terrain, and went out in good weather and nasty weather, photographed every day.
Technical solution: Camera Fuji GSW680, Film Ilford Delta 3200, red filter for clouds if needed, everything hand-held - no tripod needed. All the 300 or so negatives came out fine. The "big" negative size meant no intrusive grain, no loss of sharpness, and useful opportunities for creative cropping.
The high speed Delta 3200 film (rated EI 1000 by me) enabled fast shutter speeds even on dark and stormy days so no camera shake. This was the first hand-held camera work I had done since 1977. I normally specialise in 8x10 and 4x5 camera work but for this kind of hard going travel the sheer photographic productivity of a big range-finder focussed roll-film camera puts it way out in front.

Vaughn
29-May-2020, 19:15
Whereas I rode a bicycle for 2000 miles in NZ with a 4x5...exposed 70 sheets of film...Royal Pan (mostly) and Super XX. But it sounds like you worked a lot harder than I did Maris! And certainly covered a much wider range of images than I could have with the 4x5. Sounds like an incredible trip!

And at first I was thinking of the Fuji GX680...we had one donated to the college while I was working there...probably heavier than most 8x10s...

The river after appearing from under Franz Josef Glacier, NZ, 1987. I imagine that the glacier is now a kilometer further up the valley now...at least:

trekkin
29-May-2020, 21:05
I once put together a 4x5 kit for backpacking on the Appalachian Trail SOBO in Virginia. I had a very light Nagaoka 4x5 camera, a minimal lens, minimal tripod, Grafmatics, a changing bag, and a light meter. I think this gear weighed about 6 pounds, and fit in the top of my ultralite backpack. So total weight was manageable, in the mid to upper 20's with food, etc.

The problem was that I didn't use it much. I think in a week I shot about 5 sheets. I was hiking with somebody else and miles were a priority. None of the photos came out well, light tended to be marginal (the AT is the long green tunnel)... I sent it home at Waynesboro and hiked without a camera all the way to Damascus, VA. On later AT hikes I carried a Hassy SWC and actually got photos that now hang on the wall.

If you are hiking alone and not on a rigid schedule a light 4x5 kit might work. But otherwise I would go medium format. Just my opinion! Best of luck.

popdoc
30-May-2020, 04:47
Trekkin is spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popdoc
30-May-2020, 06:05
Also, if you wanted to be a minimalist with medium format for the combination of “green tunnel”/ near-macro/vistas, consider the Hasselblad SWC.

superman9
30-May-2020, 07:30
Also, if you wanted to be a minimalist with medium format for the combination of “green tunnel”/ near-macro/vistas, consider the Hasselblad SWC.

I once put together a 4x5 kit for backpacking on the Appalachian Trail SOBO in Virginia. I had a very light Nagaoka 4x5 camera, a minimal lens, minimal tripod, Grafmatics, a changing bag, and a light meter. I think this gear weighed about 6 pounds, and fit in the top of my ultralite backpack. So total weight was manageable, in the mid to upper 20's with food, etc.

The problem was that I didn't use it much. I think in a week I shot about 5 sheets. I was hiking with somebody else and miles were a priority. None of the photos came out well, light tended to be marginal (the AT is the long green tunnel)... I sent it home at Waynesboro and hiked without a camera all the way to Damascus, VA. On later AT hikes I carried a Hassy SWC and actually got photos that now hang on the wall.

If you are hiking alone and not on a rigid schedule a light 4x5 kit might work. But otherwise I would go medium format. Just my opinion! Best of luck.

Trekkin, when did you hike the AT? Is there somewhere you've posted your work from the trail that I could check out?

Two things that make me think it might be feasible: I'll be hiking with my partner, a first time thruhiker; One of my big regrets from my last hike (also PCT) was moving too fast. I think something that slows me down could be a good thing for me but I really haven't decided yet—at this point I'm really just trying to fully flesh out all my options.

I'll definitely check out the SWC—thanks for the help!

Drew Bedo
30-May-2020, 13:21
I did a week on the AT during spring break in the early 1970s when in collage. Worked a summer at a resort in the Rockies around then too. Climbed Long's Peak twice that summer. Then life happened and not much since then.

My Collège roommate went off to Oregon and built a different life. Over the years he has through trekked the Pacific Crest trail twice. Now 70, he has had both knees replaced and he is doing it agsin in stages,

My hat is off to all who have done and can still do an extended trail hike.

Dugan
30-May-2020, 14:14
4x5 on a 2000 mi. hike will be hard...if it's a challenge you're looking for, why not do wet plate? It's kinda the in thing these days. :)

Vaughn
30-May-2020, 15:18
An interesting way to approach 4x5 and thru-hiking would be a one-photo-a-day scheme. Four holders a week, with one 'extra'. A photo taken at every lunch stop, for example. Most of my backpacking has been solo with little contact with others, so I never thought of portrait work while out there.

How do thru-hikers keep their digital cameras going for a couple weeks without recharging? More batteries, Solar cell recharging of batteries?

Dan O'Farrell
30-May-2020, 16:27
You just described the Linhof Master Technika.

++1

superman9
30-May-2020, 16:38
How do thru-hikers keep their digital cameras going for a couple weeks without recharging? More batteries, Solar cell recharging of batteries?

Most I know don't use solar cells as they're bulky, less reliable, and kind of a hassle. I carried an anker 20000 (https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powercore-20100/A1271012?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=anker_google_pla_us_1_a1271012-20&utm_term=anker_google_pla_us_1_a1271012-20&gclid=CjwKCAjwiMj2BRBFEiwAYfTbChMGXlBvQbanC80GMNgKlG9AbcITqutRyJcGQfSllj7kRBson0nAiBoCwosQAvD_BwE) then the 10000 then back to the 20000 when the 10000 stopped and I carried a small battery charger (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7SHCGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that could be plugged into a micro usb. To Canon's credit, batteries honestly lasted weeks, even in the sierra where we hiked in freezing conditions, i never had a battery die on my though I routinely went weeks without charging.

Vaughn
30-May-2020, 16:46
Makes sense -- I have a little Sony RX100 that seems to eat batteries -- but it is so small that the batteries are also very small. I spent a month camping in southern Chile and my son with a full-size Canon digital had better battery luck than I did. Fortunately I had my 5x7 as a back-up...:cool:

Greg Y
30-May-2020, 18:45
Vaughn Beautiful diptych! That's definitely worth bringing a 5"x7" for.

Vaughn
30-May-2020, 21:18
Thanks...too bad you don't have any nice mountains by you...:cool:

Drew Wiley
31-May-2020, 14:22
I figured that if a place was really hard to get to, and I might not ever get to go there again, one more reason to take large format and do it right while I still can. And for the first 20 years of that, it was a relatively heavy Sinar system. After I turned 50, I acquired the option of a lighter Ebony folder for long treks , yet at the same time was increasingly reliant on 8x10 for day use. Now that I'm over 70, med format comes into play quite a bit, but is still supplemental to LF work and not a replacement.

Mark Sampson
31-May-2020, 16:08
As a long-time 4x5 location shooter, my idea would be to look into a 120-size technical camera, a la the Horseman VH-R or a 2x3 Linhof Technika. If those turned out to be too heavy, I'd get two Rolleiflexes- a standard type and a Tele-Rollei. I know those are rare and spendy but I would want a lens with a bit of 'reach'. If that was too much, I'd take just the 'normal' Rollei. Rugged, compact, simple, lovely lens quality.
Best of luck- it will be a great adventure in any case!

abruzzi
1-Jun-2020, 11:29
Makes sense -- I have a little Sony RX100 that seems to eat batteries -- but it is so small that the batteries are also very small. I spent a month camping in southern Chile and my son with a full-size Canon digital had better battery luck than I did. Fortunately I had my 5x7 as a back-up...:cool:

Any mirror less digital is likely to consume batteries at a high rate. DSLRs are much more economical on batteries because most of the time they’re just waiting. My Pentax K3ii can get 7-800 shots on a freshly charged battery as long as the built in flash or live mode aren’t used.

angusparker
1-Jun-2020, 11:53
I have both versions of the GF670 - Wide and Normal...wonderful cameras for hiking, great "access logistics," in terms of readiness and minimal interruption of other workflow (like walking). Great viewfinder (clear, sharp - very close to that on my Leica M-6) allows for quick and decisive arrival at compositions, and the extremely smooth shutter release translates well to slow(ish) speed hand-holdability. Also nice to pair with a lightweight tripod (Feisol tall traveler in my case). Decent metering although I sometimes bring along my Pentax digital spot meter.

Regarding the "normal" (folding) version...some might point out (with partial correctness) that the bellows and strut mechanisms might be vulnerable when the camera is unfolded, and I might add to this that a repeated, days on end hiking experience...possibly accompanied by an equally days on end wet weather event - might add up to some type of mechanical failure and/or fatal ingress of moisture. Thing is, this camera is compact enough when folded to be placed quickly into a small, padded dry-pack, or simply slid beneath an outer water-resistant shell layer of clothing...whereas such quickly accessed protection might be untenable, logistics-wise, with a bulkier camera.

The wide version (GF-670W) is inherently better protected as it lacks a bellows mechanism, and is likely better sealed than an interchangeable lens camera. I've done multi-day hikes in NH's White Mountains with just this camera by itself, and find the combo of the 55mm focal length with the 6x7 format to be extremely versatile.

I have both. 90% of my shots on the GF670 versus 10% on GF670W. Nice to have both though. The W is quite a bit rarer and more expensive that the regular one. It has a killer lens and is quite robust. Some padding is a good idea, the only weakness of both cameras is the viewfinder which can get out of alignment if you are violent! The bellows are fine on the regular camera but I wouldn’t want them out in the rain a lot. Also there are actually four versions of this camera the Fuji ones and the Voitlander ones. The Voitlander ones are more expensive and in black. I like their looks more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Greg Y
1-Jun-2020, 14:51
Thanks...too bad you don't have any nice mountains by you...:cool:

Yes Vaughn it's a real hardship....

Two23
1-Jun-2020, 22:35
I figured that if a place was really hard to get to, and I might not ever get to go there again, one more reason to take large format and do it right while I still can. And for the first 20 years of that, it was a relatively heavy Sinar system. After I turned 50, I acquired the option of a lighter Ebony folder for long treks , yet at the same time was increasingly reliant on 8x10 for day use. Now that I'm over 70, med format comes into play quite a bit, but is still supplemental to LF work and not a replacement.

What MF are you using, and lens selection?

Kent in SD

goamules
2-Jun-2020, 07:01
I don't know about yall, but when I hike I often carry two cameras, one digital, one film. I took a Leica up into the Tetons, and my Fuji XE-1. Got lots of good shots from both, and they didn't weigh me down.

Greg
2-Jun-2020, 16:11
First camera for backpacking was a Nikon Photomic FTN with 28mm f/2.5 Vivitar and 85mm f/1.8 Nikkor. Add in a PB-3 bellows and a small Leica tripod. This was used when I was a student at RIT in the 1970s and would backpack with in the Adirondacks on weekends. The equipment got soaked many times but never failed me. After that got into ultra-light backpacking. Affa Isolette, Olympus XA-4 Macro, and a Gossen Pilot meter. 2 cameras and an exposure meter for going ultralight!!! Sounds a bit crazy but the Isolette was for shooting 120 B&W, the XA-4 for shooting 35mm color, and the Gossen meter was their very small Pilot. The whole outfit took up less cubic inches than the film I carried with me. Everything double bagged mainly for for protection from rain, moisture was never a problem. Next camera used forwhen rock climbing and backpacking was a Nikon FM2 Titan (later replaced by a F3) with MF 20mm f/2.8 and MF 35-105mm. Once backpacked with a Pentax 67II with 45mm and 55-100mm Zoom lenses and a Slik tripod.The Slik Insta-Lok 500 G-FL tripod was a very cheap model (lot of plastic) but also very light. Never failed me and still have it today. Backpacked with the Pentax 67 twice. Second (and last) time I carried the Pentax equipment was an overnighter bushwhacking up a peak in the Massachusetts. Lot of 4th class hiking and the relatively heavy Pentax equipment on my back kept putting me off balance. Presently don't backpack any more, but for hiking carry a FUJI GSW690III and that same old cheap Slik Insta-Lok 500 G-FL tripod.

giganova
3-Jun-2020, 19:24
I'd take a Plaubel Makina 67.

Drew Wiley
3-Jun-2020, 19:50
2000 miles can equate to a lot of grit and weather that I wouldn't personally want a scissor-style RF like a Makina or GF670 subjected to. Nice camera. But I glad I got a 6X9 Texas Leica "beater" that won't make me jump off a bridge if something happens to it. I got one with reasonably low mileage, yet with an immaculate primary lens, for a fraction of the price of a Makina or GF or Mamiya 67 rangefinder.

John Layton
4-Jun-2020, 08:22
Another quite rugged MF rangefinder camera with decent interchangeable lenses would be one of the Koni-Omega series (100 or 200 series as I remember). Have not seen one of these in awhile though - and I imagine that by now parts and repair could be an issue for needed fixes.

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2020, 09:18
Another quite rugged MF rangefinder camera with decent interchangeable lenses would be one of the Koni-Omega series (100 or 200 series as I remember). Have not seen one of these in awhile though - and I imagine that by now parts and repair could be an issue for needed fixes.

Rugged? No. The ratchet film advance is noisy and can easily be bent. The pin on the back of the lens is also easily bent and then the lens won’t fire.
I used the Koni for weddings and it was no where near as reliable as my Rolleis or Hasselblads.

gcoates
4-Jun-2020, 12:03
How about a lightweight, handheld 3-D printed camera like the Cameradactyl OG (https://www.cameradactyl.com/buttergrip/cameradactyl-og-4x5-hand-camera) (4x5) or the Cameradactyl Homonculus (https://www.cameradactyl.com/buttergrip/homonculus69) (6x9 roll film)?

6x6TLL
4-Jun-2020, 18:40
I wonder where the OP went? Don't recall seeing a post from him since around the first or second page (of 11...)

You did ask! ;)

HMG
4-Jun-2020, 18:58

I think the Mamiya press cameras would be less failure prone.

John Layton
5-Jun-2020, 04:28
My apologies to the OP...its been years since I've even held a Koni-Omega - and I'd forgotten about its specific weaknesses.

Bill Burk
5-Jun-2020, 19:49
Here’s what I did...

A Polaroid conversion weighs 3 pounds. I went with Littman.
A Grafmatic weighs 1. Buy 3 but bring only 2 of them plus a few extra septums because you will bend some.
That’s 5 pounds.
Add a very lightweight tripod, so you can use some other shutter speed than 300.
Add a changing bag.
You will need a few boxes of film and some empty boxes to put the sheets in.

Remember your partner is carrying half of this weight (not literally but like .. the two of you have a specific amount of weight you can carry between you).

Learn to sew. Get some 1.1 nylon and make bags and wind shirts and other miscellaneous things because anything you buy off the shelf will weigh more.

Sorry it’s upside down but this is from the John Muir Trail. Fish Creek.

http://beefalobill.com/imgs/_MG_4692.JPG

Greg Y
5-Jun-2020, 20:15
I'd take a Plaubel Makina 67.

What giganova said !