PDA

View Full Version : Lee Filter Hood With Linhof Master Technika?

LFLarry
25-May-2020, 16:40
Hi, I have a Lee Filter Hood system and I would like to be able to use this with my Linhof Master Technika, but it appears it won't work because the hood system hits the bed of the camera.

I typically use the 150mm standard lens the vast majority of the time.

I may be overlooking an approach or method to get this to work, so I am hopeful someone here in the group can help.

This is important because I frequently use GND filters for landscapes.

Thank you.

Larry

Bob Salomon
25-May-2020, 16:43
Hi, I have a Lee Filter Hood system and I would like to be able to use this with my Linhof Master Technika, but it appears it won't work because the hood system hits the bed of the camera.

I typically use the 150mm standard lens the vast majority of the time.

I may be overlooking an approach or method to get this to work, so I am hopeful someone here in the group can help.

This is important because I frequently use GND filters for landscapes.

Thank you.

Larry

Have you asked them?

https://www.leefilters.com/

Corran
25-May-2020, 18:22
I highly doubt the folks at Lee are that well versed on their filters on uncommon 4x5 cameras!

That said, I can tell you that 4x6 filters are a bear to use on the Linhof for this very reason (and any camera that has a bed). The filters bottom-out on the bed and so you can only put them so low. The only way to make it work is to drop the bed and sometimes that doesn't work either depending on your GND placement.

I don't use Lee's hood personally (just use a darkslide or your hand) so this is is reference to the normal filter holder, but the placement of the filters won't change relative to the lens/bed.

LFLarry
25-May-2020, 18:38
Thanks Corran. I agree, Lee Filters would look at my like I was lost in space asking if their filter hood/holders would work with a Linhof Master Technika!

I really love this camera, but I would really like to be able to use some type of GND filter system on it for my landscapes. I will have to see if a 4x4 GND filter will even physically work, and then to see if a 4x4 2 stop Soft GND is even available.

Can you elaborate a little more on your alternative approach you mentioned (using the dark slide or hand)? I have found that I typically use a 2 stop GND for the sunrise/sunset type landscapes.

Thank you

Larry

I highly doubt the folks at Lee are that well versed on their filters on uncommon 4x5 cameras!

That said, I can tell you that 4x6 filters are a bear to use on the Linhof for this very reason (and any camera that has a bed). The filters bottom-out on the bed and so you can only put them so low. The only way to make it work is to drop the bed and sometimes that doesn't work either depending on your GND placement.

I don't use Lee's hood personally (just use a darkslide or your hand) so this is is reference to the normal filter holder, but the placement of the filters won't change relative to the lens/bed.

Corran
25-May-2020, 19:02
You mentioned the hood specifically, so I wasn't sure if you are using the hood to control flare from extraneous light as well or just as a filter holder. I don't use a Lee hood - if I have oblique light hitting the filter/lens, I use my hand or the darkslide to physically shield the lens/filter from light. And assuming the sun isn't in your shot, which precludes the use of a hood anyway, you can be relatively certain your hand/DS isn't in the photo because neither is the sun, if that makes sense.

However, I also have many times used my darkslide as a makeshift GND filter - if you need a 2-stop GND for a 4-second exposure, just put the DS in front of the lens roughly where the edge of the filter should be, and shoot for 3 seconds with the DS waving slightly (to soften the edge) and then pull it away for the last second. It's a little janky but it's worked great for me many times. If you are doing shorter exposures then it does get somewhat impossible though. Since I tend to use 100-speed film and wind isn't usually a massive issue, it works for me if I don't have a GND with me (or, occasionally, I have done it because the light was about to change and I needed to get the shot fast).

LFLarry
25-May-2020, 19:30
Thanks Corran. I will keep that technique in mind for sure. I am going to keep pushing forward to see if I can find a filter solution that will work with this camera. The combo Lee hood and filter holder is a really combo solution, so I am hopeful I can find something that will work for this camera.

You mentioned the hood specifically, so I wasn't sure if you are using the hood to control flare from extraneous light as well or just as a filter holder. I don't use a Lee hood - if I have oblique light hitting the filter/lens, I use my hand or the darkslide to physically shield the lens/filter from light. And assuming the sun isn't in your shot, which precludes the use of a hood anyway, you can be relatively certain your hand/DS isn't in the photo because neither is the sun, if that makes sense.

However, I also have many times used my darkslide as a makeshift GND filter - if you need a 2-stop GND for a 4-second exposure, just put the DS in front of the lens roughly where the edge of the filter should be, and shoot for 3 seconds with the DS waving slightly (to soften the edge) and then pull it away for the last second. It's a little janky but it's worked great for me many times. If you are doing shorter exposures then it does get somewhat impossible though. Since I tend to use 100-speed film and wind isn't usually a massive issue, it works for me if I don't have a GND with me (or, occasionally, I have done it because the light was about to change and I needed to get the shot fast).

Eric Leppanen
25-May-2020, 21:28
Lee Filters would look at me like I was lost in space asking if their filter hood/holders would work with a Linhof Master Technika!

Believe it or not, there used to be a gentleman at Lee USA named John Adler who actually was pretty knowledgeable about large format cameras. I haven't spoken with him for years but if he is still there he might be able to help.

LFLarry
26-May-2020, 10:35
Good to know Eric, thank you.

Believe it or not, there used to be a gentleman at Lee USA named John Adler who actually was pretty knowledgeable about large format cameras. I haven't spoken with him for years but if he is still there he might be able to help.

abruzzi
26-May-2020, 11:18
What about the (slightly annoying) approach of turning the camera on it’s side? I don’t know if the bed's arms might still get in the way. That’s already a factory listed way to deal with ultrawides with the bed in frame.

Corran
26-May-2020, 11:27
One nice thing about Crown / Speed Graphics is the extra tripod mount on the side. Would be nice to have one on the Linhof but instead it has a handle mount. Of course you could hack it to have that, and maybe some of the newest models have that since they aren't made for handheld use anymore.

90-degree sideways camera = weight distribution problem. Be careful to not knock it over or let the wind take it. Ask me how I know!

Bob Salomon
26-May-2020, 12:03
One nice thing about Crown / Speed Graphics is the extra tripod mount on the side. Would be nice to have one on the Linhof but instead it has a handle mount. Of course you could hack it to have that, and maybe some of the newest models have that since they aren't made for handheld use anymore.

90-degree sideways camera = weight distribution problem. Be careful to not knock it over or let the wind take it. Ask me how I know!

Instead Linhof has a second one on top under the accessory shoe.

Corran
26-May-2020, 12:16
Yes but it's not really all that helpful in this situation is it?

Bob Salomon
26-May-2020, 12:20
Yes but it's not really all that helpful in this situation is it?

Never needed to on a Technika, a Wista, a Graflex or a Deardorff.
I did it with the proper tripod head. Much faster and safer then removing and switching the camera over.

Corran
26-May-2020, 12:27
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I flip the camera to use fall. When using fall, with a GND, usually the filter needs to be higher on the lens to be on the horizon. Bam, same issue initially reported, filter impacting the bed from the other direction. A side tripod mount would make it easier and simpler for using GNDs.

Bob Salomon
26-May-2020, 13:05
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I flip the camera to use fall. When using fall, with a GND, usually the filter needs to be higher on the lens to be on the horizon. Bam, same issue initially reported, filter impacting the bed from the other direction. A side tripod mount would make it easier and simpler for using GNDs.
Then instead of expounding on it here why don’t you take 10 minutes and tell the factory?

Corran
26-May-2020, 13:20
Merely answering the question with real-life shooting experience, Bob.

Bob Salomon
26-May-2020, 13:30
Merely answering the question with real-life shooting experience, Bob.

Then the factory should welcome your answer.
But as the Linhof Product and Sales Manager from 1970 till 2014 no one ever complained about not having a side tripod socket.

But then why would John Sexton or Bruce Barnbaum or Kenny Rogers or any of the 1000s of other Technika owners over those years feel they would need one?

Corran
26-May-2020, 13:33
That's nice.

JMO
26-May-2020, 19:34
I have used my Master Technikas (Classic and now also a 2000) for several years and have encountered this problem with my Lee filter system NDGs a handful of times when using a lens shorter than 180 or 210mm. Some times I've tilted my MT camera over on its side while using a RRS B55 ballhead, and gotten by with that after a fair amount of finagling to get the NDG and my intended composition in the right places (and properly focused with lens movements). The RRS B55 ballheads are really sturdy, but this maneuver with the MT is taxing for the ballhead. Sometimes, especially if I have needed to use a 75 or 90mm lens on my Master Technika, I was able to drop the bed on my Classic or 2000 enough to allow me to effectively use those Master Technikas without resorting to laying them over on their sides on top of the tripod, as you can drop the bed enough to allow the Lee NDG filters to be adjusted as needed without interfering with the bed of the Technika. However, if you're using a 135 or 150mm lens on the Technika with the Lee filter system, I think you'll need to be prepared to lay the camera over on its side, or (as Bob Salomon suggests) be able to use the tripod mount that is available on the top of the camera under the accessory shoe.

Finally, I also have a Linhof Technikarden 45S camera that I typically take along on my extended LF photography road trips, and it allows one to easily use the Lee filter system without the aforementioned issues for the Master Technika design. There are other threads on this Forum that regale the strongpoints of Linhof's Technikarden 45S design.

LFLarry
26-May-2020, 20:19
This issue is really the last stumbling block for me regarding this camera. When I do landscapes, I typically need soft or hard stop GND filters to balance the foreground and background light appropriately. I have considered just using a screw-on type GND filter to resolve this issue, but that is a compromise and really isn't a 100% solution because you can't control the horizon line like you can with 4x6 filters. I am hopeful a solution will present itself soon.

Thanks

LFLarry
26-May-2020, 20:23
Hi, thanks for your thoughts and ideas. I agree the TechniKardan is a wonderful camera. However, I bring my Master Technika (2000) with me everywhere along with my 3 lenses (75, 150, 300) and I have everything I need for my style of photography. I love this camera in every area except for this one major challenge. I am still searching for a solution that works for me and I am hopeful that something will present itself.

I have used my Master Technikas (Classic and now also a 2000) for several years and have encountered this problem with my Lee filter system NDGs a handful of times when using a lens shorter than 180 or 210mm. Some times I've tilted my MT camera over on its side while using a RRS B55 ballhead, and gotten by with that after a fair amount of finagling to get the NDG and my intended composition in the right places (and properly focused with lens movements). The RRS B55 ballheads are really sturdy, but this maneuver with the MT is taxing for the ballhead. Sometimes, especially if I have needed to use a 75 or 90mm lens on my Master Technika, I was able to drop the bed on my Classic or 2000 enough to allow me to effectively use those Master Technikas without resorting to laying them over on their sides on top of the tripod, as you can drop the bed enough to allow the Lee NDG filters to be adjusted as needed without interfering with the bed of the Technika. However, if you're using a 135 or 150mm lens on the Technika with the Lee filter system, I think you'll need to be prepared to lay the camera over on its side, or (as Bob Salomon suggests) be able to use the tripod mount that is available on the top of the camera under the accessory shoe.

Finally, I also have a Linhof Technikarden 45S camera that I typically take along on my extended LF photography road trips, and it allows one to easily use the Lee filter system without the aforementioned issues for the Master Technika design. There are other threads on this Forum that regale the strongpoints of Linhof's Technikarden 45S design.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
26-May-2020, 23:48
Hi, is it possible to cut a Lee filter to the smaller Cokin A size? Then you could use the Cokin A holder on the Technika ... I have the same Technika problem, but in Cokin P size, with Elite filter holders.

LFLarry
27-May-2020, 05:16
Good idea Daniel. I am in the process of trying to figure out if the smaller Cokin A size will fit my needs and then compare the dimensions to the Lee system. I am thinking it may work, but I will circle back and confirm one way or the other. I would be willing to get a Cokin A holder and a couple of the GND filters and dedicate them to this camera if the dimensions work out. I have historically used the Lee Hood and Flter Holder system on all my camreras (8x10, 4x10, 5x7, and my other 4x5), so it has been a really good universal solution up until the Master Technikardan. More to follow soon.

Hi, is it possible to cut a Lee filter to the smaller Cokin A size? Then you could use the Cokin A holder on the Technika ... I have the same Technika problem, but in Cokin P size, with Elite filter holders.

JMO
27-May-2020, 08:14
Hi, thanks for your thoughts and ideas. I agree the TechniKardan is a wonderful camera. However, I bring my Master Technika (2000) with me everywhere along with my 3 lenses (75, 150, 300) and I have everything I need for my style of photography. I love this camera in every area except for this one major challenge. I am still searching for a solution that works for me and I am hopeful that something will present itself.

LFLarry, I acquired my MT 2000 only in January of this year, in excellent condition, and it has become my new favorite as I probably have taken 95+% of my 4x5 images with my MT Classic over the years. I would sell off my MT Classic, but I like to have a back-up along in my car just in case something happens to sideline my main go-to camera (which incidents I have nearly suffered on past road trips). I like the additional steps of the MT 2000 for dropping the bed when using wide angle lenses, and the improved focusing feature for those WA lenses. I do most of my LF photographing fairly near to my car when I am on extended road trips out to Nat. Parks (etc), or even when I'm around my home town area, so if I encounter a situation where the TK 45S is a better option it is not too difficult to fetch it (and it's in a nice and compact ballistic case). One of the reasons I haven't needed to use the Lee GND filters too much is that I don't often use color film, and so with B&W one can usually compensate with film development. I bought the TK 45S primarily to use in table top still life and interior architectural situations, but haven't started the table top work (in my basement) until just recently as I've had more time around home due to the pandemic. It's all fun, however. 'Enjoy your MT 2000, I wish I could have offered a better suggestion for this frustration with the WA lenses.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
27-May-2020, 10:51
Good idea Daniel. I am in the process of trying to figure out if the smaller Cokin A size will fit my needs and then compare the dimensions to the Lee system. I am thinking it may work, but I will circle back and confirm one way or the other. I would be willing to get a Cokin A holder and a couple of the GND filters and dedicate them to this camera if the dimensions work out. I have historically used the Lee Hood and Flter Holder system on all my camreras (8x10, 4x10, 5x7, and my other 4x5), so it has been a really good universal solution up until the Master Technikardan. More to follow soon.

To be honest: I probably couldn't distinguish a Lee filter from a Cokin filter if I was presented with two prints ... How about some cheaper Cokin A filters, which you can buy new? I'm flirting with a CNC cut in the original Linhof slide-in lolly-pop filter shape (with handle!) for the "Universal" sun shade.