PDA

View Full Version : Update on my office layout

Steven Ruttenberg
23-May-2020, 11:18
While we are moving into a custom home we designed in the near future. This is the layout I will be using. The only thing missing is my 10 gallon storage tank for compressed air. Will be here Wed. The other items missing are the ceiling ionizing fans and heppa filtration purpose built for the room with positive air pressure. Will do same for dark room.

Anyways you can see all the equipment.

My drum scanner will hopefully be here end of summer.

Steven Ruttenberg
23-May-2020, 11:25
Couldn't delete the blurry resized version. Ugh.

Tin Can
23-May-2020, 12:29
Looking good!

Steven Ruttenberg
23-May-2020, 15:58
Routed all the cables with standoff attached to underside of desk. Already planning ups res to design.

Thanks!

Sasquatchian
25-May-2020, 08:58
Next step to cover up those windows and get the ambient light levels low enough for serious editing.

Daniel Stone
25-May-2020, 10:31
Will this area be used solely photo editing/scanning/computer work, or also for printing?
One thing I've realized is that if printing, you want an area solely for print inspection, whether for color calibration or solely for inspection prior to display.
Having lighting that mimics your intended display area, not just for ambient brightness levels of the room/space the print will be displayed in, but color temperature of the lighting itself.

Some good light-blocking window shades can allow for "dark room" times, but also open natural lighting if/when you don't need such stringent light levels for other tasks such as surfing Large Format Forum :rolleyes:

-Dan

Drew Wiley
26-May-2020, 14:32
I see you're using one of those quiet low-RPM RolAir compressors that I specifically convinced them to provide once quiet oilless US-made models were no longer available from Thomas. Most small compressors are revved way up to compensate for an inefficient pump, and whine and squeal like a downed WWI dogfight plane; roofers use those noisy things, and the high RPM typically burns the pump or motor out within six months. The only predictable problem with the low-RPM Rol Air is a little subsidiary ball valve that sometimes clogs and might need cleaning or replacement.

Steven Ruttenberg
26-May-2020, 22:35
Next step to cover up those windows and get the ambient light levels low enough for serious editing.

I only edit at night so window coverings not needed.

Steven Ruttenberg
26-May-2020, 22:35
Will this area be used solely photo editing/scanning/computer work, or also for printing?
One thing I've realized is that if printing, you want an area solely for print inspection, whether for color calibration or solely for inspection prior to display.
Having lighting that mimics your intended display area, not just for ambient brightness levels of the room/space the print will be displayed in, but color temperature of the lighting itself.

Some good light-blocking window shades can allow for "dark room" times, but also open natural lighting if/when you don't need such stringent light levels for other tasks such as surfing Large Format Forum :rolleyes:

-Dan

I only edit at night

Steven Ruttenberg
26-May-2020, 22:38
I see you're using one of those quiet low-RPM RolAir compressors that I specifically convinced them to provide once quiet oilless US-made models were no longer available from Thomas. Most small compressors are revved way up to compensate for an inefficient pump, and whine and squeal like a downed WWI dogfight plane; roofers use those noisy things, and the high RPM typically burns the pump or motor out within six months. The only predictable problem with the low-RPM Rol Air is a little subsidiary ball valve that sometimes clogs and might need cleaning or replacement.

Yep. Just added 10 gallon tank.

Steven Ruttenberg
26-May-2020, 22:40
Here is my air compressor setup for cleaning my negatives prior to wet mounting for scanning. Currently use Epson V850. Have a drum scanner on lay away.

First image show initial water yep nd filter. Lots of water vapor which is unuque for AZ. I use a humidifier in room humidity at 41%. Outside like 12%-17%.

I use a Simco ionizing air nozzle and ionizing fan to keep dust down.

Tin Can
30-May-2021, 03:52
Good to see and read Steven

I bought another tiny compressor that is quieter than my first, which was moved to the big shed

The ultra flexible air hoses are really good, like your blue one

I am almost ready for 5X7 V700 wet mount

Here is my air compressor setup for cleaning my negatives prior to wet mounting for scanning. Currently use Epson V850. Have a drum scanner on lay away.

First image show initial water yep nd filter. Lots of water vapor which is unuque for AZ. I use a humidifier in room humidity at 41%. Outside like 12%-17%.

I use a Simco ionizing air nozzle and ionizing fan to keep dust down.

Drew Wiley
4-Jun-2021, 17:02
Yikes! That's one of the three compressor designs I commissioned them to provide. The very first of the three was prototyped in our own shop, and soon became a national model; but that was a much bigger machine oriented to construction. Rol Air doesn't actually make this particular series of small compressor themselves, but subcontract it. And probably everyone I knew in that organization has themselves retired by now. The US mfg equivalent or predecessor was a much more expensive Thomas model (which I use in my own darkrooms); but when that company relocated to Louisiana, they stopped making portable compressors. So I cajoled Rol Air (Associated Engineering) into coming up with something equivalent - dual piston, quiet, and lower RPM for sake of greater longevity. There's a weird kind of check valve in the system that sometimes clogs; but otherwise they seem pretty reliable. The correct way to collect water is to feed the hose from the compressor up into a length of slightly slanted copper pipe, allowing the air to cool and condense before reaching the separator. But a helical coil of copper can also be used, much like a distillation setup.