PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Silver Gelatin Paper?

LFLarry
19-May-2020, 10:03
Is freezing silver gelatin paper a good strategy for extending the shelf life?

Should I put the paper in a freezer bag or something similar?

If there is a better approach, please share.

Thank you.

jp
19-May-2020, 12:08
I've frozen mine...
I leave it in the unopened factory packaging, then place it in a freezer compatible ziplock bag for moisture/frost protection.

LFLarry
19-May-2020, 12:22
Thanks for confirming. What's the longest time you've had paper in the freezer and then pulled it out and used it? I am trying to get an idea of the limits?

I've frozen mine...
I leave it in the unopened factory packaging, then place it in a freezer compatible ziplock bag for moisture/frost protection.

Alan9940
19-May-2020, 15:39
Thanks for confirming. What's the longest time you've had paper in the freezer and then pulled it out and used it? I am trying to get an idea of the limits?

I've frozen silver gelatin paper for 40 years without issue. Probably the oldest stock was 20 or so years; still good. Like jp, I put the package into a ziplock bag.

LFLarry
19-May-2020, 20:17
Thank you. That is exactly the type of validation I was seeking.

I've frozen silver gelatin paper for 40 years without issue. Probably the oldest stock was 20 or so years; still good. Like jp, I put the package into a ziplock bag.

Steve Sherman
20-May-2020, 15:56
I agree using a zip lock or plastic sealed top container is best to freeze paper for long periods of time. You will also find that the warmer emulsions, i.e. those with a chloride component to the emulsion will keep longer, pure Bromide / Iodine emulsion papers not as long. Extended periods of time for any emulsion will tend to lose a bit of contrast prior to actually showing fog.