PDA

View Full Version : Petzval in shutter

Ethan
11-May-2020, 08:26
Hey guys,

Do any of you know if there are any petzval lenses that can easily be mounted on a shutter (something large like a shanel 5a maybe)? I do large format stuff, and could get a packard/sinar shutter to use one with for that, but for this I was actually thinking of finding a way to mount it on my RB67 for some hand held stuff, since I think the petzval look goes more in line with what I shoot hand held.

Thanks!

Steven Tribe
12-May-2020, 02:59
There are plenty of Thornton-pickard (T-P) curtain front mounted shutters available which would (and did!) work well with smaller Petzvals.
The mechanism is simple, robust and suited to DIY repairs. Indicated speeds relate to the springs performance in 1900, so Speeds at the various settings will need some adjustment.

Ethan
12-May-2020, 10:32
There are plenty of Thornton-pickard (T-P) curtain front mounted shutters available which would (and did!) work well with smaller Petzvals.
The mechanism is simple, robust and suited to DIY repairs. Indicated speeds relate to the springs performance in 1900, so Speeds at the various settings will need some adjustment.

Thanks! I think I’ve seen those before, but I’ve never looked into them, and one of those will be simpler than trying to mount a lens in a leaf shutter

Darren Kruger
12-May-2020, 11:59
Do any of you know if there are any petzval lenses that can easily be mounted on a shutter (something large like a shanel 5a maybe)? I do large format stuff, and could get a packard/sinar shutter to use one with for that, but for this I was actually thinking of finding a way to mount it on my RB67 for some hand held stuff, since I think the petzval look goes more in line with what I shoot hand held.

What size lens are you thinking? Would it be something you could use the shutter out of an existing RB lens? If you go with an external shutter, what where your plans on mounting it to the RB?

I know it is not LF or even MF but have you looked at the Lomo Petzvals for DSLR cameras?

-Darren

Ethan
15-May-2020, 21:00
What size lens are you thinking? Would it be something you could use the shutter out of an existing RB lens? If you go with an external shutter, what where your plans on mounting it to the RB?

I know it is not LF or even MF but have you looked at the Lomo Petzvals for DSLR cameras?

-Darren

I have looked at those, but the RB needs at least 5 inches from the rear lens element to the film plane, and the lomo lenses are all meant for much smaller cameras. I’m thinking if I get a 5 or 6 inch petzval, I can attach the locking ring from a copal 3 onto a disassembled RB extension tube, and then put a petzval on the front of the copal 3. The RB shutters are much smaller in diameter as they are meant to be at the focal point of the lens. A copal 3 should be large enough to fit behind the lens and leave a large enough opening to cover the 7x7 image plane. That’s the idea anyway, I still need to acquire the lens

Darren Kruger
16-May-2020, 10:30
The Lomo suggestion was more along the lines using it with a small format camera (handhold) over an RB.

I had the same idea about using a Petzval on a RB; a while ago I acquired a 6" Darlot lens which I am pretty sure is a Petzval. It is mounted in a Seneca Duo shutter which has an max aperture labeled as 6.3 which sounds off. The outside diameter of the lens barrel is 2". I just checked and it fits inside the front threads of a spare Copal 3 I have so that would be an option if you could find a similar lens. Not sure how much vignetting it would cause being rear mounted like that.

I have not shot with the lens so I don't know how it performs. But something to consider.

How were you planning on taking the picture? You would need to close the shutter, get the mirror up, and then fire the shutter on the lens. That seems like a lot of manual actions while trying to keep the subject framed how you want..

-Darren

-Darren

Ethan
16-May-2020, 13:42
If the rear element is smaller than the copal 3 opening, I don’t think it would cause much vignetting, and almost certainly not enough to be visible on 7x7cm. I’m still thinking about how to actuate it. I would probably have a cable release going from the lens to a position near the mirror release, and maybe I could rig up a winding lever contraption to there too

Darren Kruger
16-May-2020, 15:31
actually, the Mamiya dual cable release would allow you to lift the mirror and then fire the shutter. You would just need to figure out the best way to go from the open shutter to close before you took the shot.

Post some pics of what you get setup. It will be interesting to see.

-Darren

Ethan
17-May-2020, 09:39
Do you know how the Mamiya dual cable release works? for this, it would have to actuate the mirror slightly before actuating the shutter.

If that is the case, Once I get a light meter reading and set the shutter speed, I could wind the shutter, use the manual shutter actuator to open the lens, compose my shot, close the shutter, and then fire the mirror and shutter.

Does your 6" Darlot Petzval have any indication of a model number of name? Most of the ones I have found have seen online have larger rear elements than the copal 3 opening.

alex from holland
17-May-2020, 21:53
This might be an option. Surely for a relatively short petzval.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZVT3RNu7HA