PDA

View Full Version : Pen for Signing Photographs

Doug Meek
23-Dec-2005, 14:16
I usually sign the mats, but I just sold 2 very large prints which cannot be matted so my client would like me to sign right on the photograph. I have a couple of Sharpie pens. Can I use these to sign on the print? If not, can someone please recommend a pen that I can use and tell me where to buy it? Thanks!

jhogan
23-Dec-2005, 14:35
Graphite pencil or this (http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?DSP=50000&PCR=30000:120000:123000:123400&IID=20405)

jhogan
23-Dec-2005, 14:39
PS: Nein Sharpie, unless it is on a label pasted to the backside of your Non-Paper archival mount, ie: plexi, sintra, aluminum, etc.

Bruce Watson
23-Dec-2005, 14:46
No. Not Sharpies. Not archival. Will fade.

What you want is an acid-free, lead-free, archival (light fast) pigment pen. Solvent based is probably better for most surfaces - you don't want to use a water-based paint on a gelatin surface as it will probably swell the gelatin and mar the finish.

I use one called "DecoColor" made by Uchida of America Corp. out of Torrance CA USA. Most hobby/craft/art supply type stores carry them:

http://www.uchida.com/what/deco/deco.htm#300

QT Luong
23-Dec-2005, 15:51
I use Pigma micron pens from Sakura color products. The ink is pigmented and archival. I get mine at Michael's, a chain craft store.

David Crossley
23-Dec-2005, 17:14
I also use "Pigma Microns" for signing my prints. Other times i use silver or gold depending on the print background tonality using "dip pens".

Speedball is a major player in archival inks and there is french manufacturer that produces high quality inks also ( can't recall their name ).

David Crossley/Crossley Photography....

Bob._3483
24-Dec-2005, 20:10
India Ink with a calligraphy pen.

BuckLovell
11-Feb-2008, 15:56
Sakura Gelly Roll pens are excellent for photo signing. They are pigmented acrylic, and dry almost instantly.

Buck Lovell

lenser
11-Feb-2008, 16:33
Not ink or pigment, but Veach Development used to market a heated pen with either silver or gold foil for signing prints. Still have mine after thirty some years and it works fine. You might try Googling them for info on this and their gold stamp machines.

Dave Moeller
12-Feb-2008, 08:29
Not ink or pigment, but Veach Development used to market a heated pen with either silver or gold foil for signing prints. Still have mine after thirty some years and it works fine. You might try Googling them for info on this and their gold stamp machines.

I believe this is the current version of your pen:

http://www.veachco.com/goldriter_pen.htm

ericantonio
12-Feb-2008, 22:52
I used (been using) a Rapidograph .30 pen. Used the koh-i-noor ink. I just looked at a print that is 18 years old. Still looks nice and dark ink. No fade, no bleed. Its on Portriga glossy paper.

lenser
13-Feb-2008, 05:14
That's it exactly , Dave. May not be what is needed here, but it is an alternative way to sign.

Thanks.

Tim