PDA

View Full Version : looking for repair of a Studio Shutter

Jim Noel
5-May-2020, 14:38
The title says it all.
I have a Studio shutter which holds my favorite 12"Wolly with soft adjustment. It quit suddenly, so I believe it could be a broken spring.
I am looking for a repair person.

Bob Salomon
5-May-2020, 14:40
Bob Watkins at Precision Camera is in CA.

Jim Noel
5-May-2020, 18:07
Thanks,I'll try to contact him

Jim Noel
5-May-2020, 18:10
Thanks,I attempted to contact this company and according to their web site they deal digital repair,not shutters.
I appreciate your effort.

Bob Salomon
5-May-2020, 18:16
You found the wrong site.

https://www.precisioncameraworks.com/

Drew Bedo
8-May-2020, 07:46
Try Professional Camera Repair in Houston:

www.professionalcamerarepair.com

Jim Noel
8-May-2020, 08:30
Thank you Bob.

erian
16-Jun-2020, 08:33
Please let us know how it turned out!

Jim Andrada
17-Jun-2020, 03:52
There's Carol at Flutot's in LA. I've had a few shutters repaired and she does good work.

dap
17-Jun-2020, 12:11
My advice - open the shutter up and take a look. For years I avoided buying lenses in studio shutters because I heard how fragile and unreliable they are. In my experience any talk of their poor design has been overstated. Studio shutters are extremely simple devices - many problems will be relatively easy to troubleshoot and remedy. I have opened a couple up to do repairs (replaced broken shutter leaves, flattened warped shutter leaves, cleaned mechanisms, etc.) and I would venture to guess that most people on this forum with moderate mechanical aptitude could tackle a minor repair on one successfully.

One word of advice - take it easy when you handle the blades. They are robust enough to do their job and they will easily withstand careful handling, but a quick careless flex will cause them to shatter.

Jim Noel
17-Jun-2020, 15:49
Please let us know how it turned out!

They returned it as unrepairable.

Jim Noel
17-Jun-2020, 15:50
My advice - open the shutter up and take a look. For years I avoided buying lenses in studio shutters because I heard how fragile and unreliable they are. In my experience any talk of their poor design has been overstated. Studio shutters are extremely simple devices - many problems will be relatively easy to troubleshoot and remedy. I have opened a couple up to do repairs (replaced broken shutter leaves, flattened warped shutter leaves, cleaned mechanisms, etc.) and I would venture to guess that most people on this forum with moderate mechanical aptitude could tackle a minor repair on one successfully.

One word of advice - take it easy when you handle the blades. They are robust enough to do their job and they will easily withstand careful handling, but a quick careless flex will cause them to shatter.

It and my other studio shutters have been opened by me several times. This one was and si beyond me.

dap
17-Jun-2020, 16:59
It and my other studio shutters have been opened by me several times. This one was and si beyond me.

Did they at least tell you what the problem was?

Jim Noel
17-Jun-2020, 19:13
Did they at least tell you what the problem was?

No, only mentioned a missing retaining ring which i told them in the note i sent with it.