PDA

View Full Version : Graflok Back of Chamonix N2?

Kevin Crisp
5-May-2020, 08:38
I recently acquired one of these and I like it. But I am disappointed or just puzzled by the claimed Graflok back.

Unlike a Graflex camera with the original graflok back, the sliders that hold the accessory are more like small round arc-shaped clips that rotate and engage either the slot (as on a grafmatic) or ride on top of a raised tab (as in the case of a Wista roll film back). Unlike the an original Graflex graflok back, however, these seem to rotate out parallel to the accessory. In other words, while the sliders on a Graflex graflok back are angled and pull the accessory tighter and tighter as you move them, the Charmonix ones just rotate out.

A grafmatic, if not pushed against the camera body by the spring back, is loose and would obviously leak light. A Wista roll film back, with the ground glass removed for clearance, is even worse and would fall off the camera when moved even with the locking tabs engaged.

Is this just the way it works? The clips provide a little extra support but the spring on the back (which is a bit on the light side compared to many other cameras) is what holds a grafmatic in place? And other "graflok" accessories such as roll film backs are not usable?

Thanks.

grat
5-May-2020, 09:05
I've tested a grafmatic on my N1, and it's held quite securely, with no light leakage.

Same with the Shen Hao style roll film adapter / ground glass assembly.

The Chamonix is pretty well engineered, and the tolerances are very good-- have you tried either accessory with it?

Kevin Crisp
5-May-2020, 09:11
Yes, I've tried both a Wista roll film back (which moves all over the place when engaged) and a couple grafmatics. If the ground glass is not holding the grafmatic on, it is quite loose and will leak light. Since the locking "arcs" on the back are not angled toward the front of the camera as the extend, they don't tighten the accessory to the back.

LabRat
5-May-2020, 09:41
When this has happened on other cameras, one solution was to get a mini roll of matte black Dymo label tape to use as a spacer to take up the slop... The adhesive is usually ok enough to hold and stay on, but some contact cement between for better bond...

You can also stack some if a thicker shim is needed...

Steve K

grat
5-May-2020, 11:11
That doesn't sound right. I've got 4 half-moon thumbwheels which lock the graflok devices on pretty tight.

203450 203449

The two at the bottom aren't as visible, but look / work just like the two at the top.

Corran
5-May-2020, 11:23
My 45N1 looks exactly as pictured by grat above. I have shot hundreds of sheets in a Grafmatic and had no light leaks. The film holder is absolutely tight up against the back.

Post photos of the back of your camera with the Grafmatic. Mine is an old camera so I don't think they changed the design ever.

Kevin Crisp
5-May-2020, 13:19
Mine has the half moon wheels as shown above.

With the graflok back in place and all 4 wheels fully extended, the back is not snug against the camera. You can rock it in and out at the top, or even shimmy it a bit clockwise and back. The slop as measured at the top is 0.024". While it does not leak light when I put a repeating strobe in the camera, if film position is important, this is not good. If the ground glass and springs are left on, it does push the graflok back into the forward position.

But with a 6x7 Wista back, it is a non-starter. With very gentle pressure on the left side of the back it easily slides out of the light trap groove and over to the right, creating an inches wide gap.

Corran
5-May-2020, 13:29
Can you tighten down those screws that mount the hardware to the back? Sounds like something is not quite right with your camera.

CatSplat
5-May-2020, 18:51
Agreed, something's not right with your Graflok mount. My 45F2 holds my 6x17 back nice and tight.

Kevin Crisp
7-May-2020, 10:50
The screws are all tight. I suppose I can use the Graflok, just with the back on so it doesn't move fore and aft. i think the Wista back is a non-starter.

Used the camera out in the field yesterday and I quite like it.

Kevin Crisp
7-May-2020, 10:50
The screws are all tight. I suppose I can use the Graflok, just with the back on so it doesn't move fore and aft. i think the Wista back is a non-starter.

Used the camera out in the field yesterday and I quite like it.