PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for 5x7 wet plate holder

NCAmother
2-May-2020, 21:22
I’m looking for a nice 5x7 wet plate holder, any recommendations? I’d like to use this with a relatively modern camera/back. Thank you 🙏

paulbarden
3-May-2020, 07:01
I’m looking for a nice 5x7 wet plate holder, any recommendations? I’d like to use this with a relatively modern camera/back. Thank you ��

Hi Nathan,
Chamonix makes a superb plate holder. Not only is it a nice looking piece of kit, the dark slide is effortless to move in and out. I have one in three sizes and wouldn't bother with anything else. I've tried others, including a home-made/adapted film holder, and none come close to the build quality of the Chamonix.

Two23
3-May-2020, 08:48
I have the 5x7 Chamonix holder. It's nice and well built but it takes "film" sized plates, not full cut 5x7. The plates have to be cut about 2mm shorter in each dimension. B&S will cut tin to those dimensions, but if you were planning on buying pre-cut glass you're going to have to cut your own. I know of no other 5x7 wet plate holders out there, and I've looked.

Kent in SD

NCAmother
3-May-2020, 12:00
Thank you! I’m curious if the chamonix can be slightly modded or sanded to fit a full 5x7? I’d eventually like to start shooting regular glass and plexi. Thanks again

paulbarden
3-May-2020, 13:15
Thank you! I’m curious if the chamonix can be slightly modded or sanded to fit a full 5x7? I’d eventually like to start shooting regular glass and plexi. Thanks again

Nathan,
It is my opinion that modifying the holder to gain 1/16th of an inch more size is unnecessary. Why bother?

robertraymer
3-May-2020, 13:53
I have an 8x10 Stenopeika holder and love it. When ordering you can order "true" size or "film" size. I opted for "true" 8x10 so I wouldn't have to cut plates and it works beautifully.

Two23
3-May-2020, 18:12
I have an 8x10 Stenopeika holder and love it. When ordering you can order "true" size or "film" size. I opted for "true" 8x10 so I wouldn't have to cut plates and it works beautifully.

I've been using an 8x10 Stenopeika holder since late January and have had a number of issues with it. A 5x7 is smaller and maybe would work better, I don't know.

I will add I don't see any way to modify the Chamonix.

Kent in SD

NCAmother
3-May-2020, 18:31
Thanks for the recommendations, it looks like the stenopieka (sp?) and chamonix are similarly priced but are very different in construction and materials. Kent what kind of issues did you have with the stenopieka?

Two23
3-May-2020, 18:41
Thanks for the recommendations, it looks like the stenopieka (sp?) and chamonix are similarly priced but are very different in construction and materials. Kent what kind of issues did you have with the stenopieka?

Issues:

1. Dark slide and grooves they go into were very very rough. Difficult to pull slide in/out. I needed a firm grip using two hands. I had to lightly polish and lubricate with silcone.
2. The dark slide sometimes scrapes the emulsion in a couple of places. I've been unable to fix that.
3. There is no light trap at the top of the holder. It's just flat.
4. Sometimes the plate jams the dark slide and it won't open. I have to run back to my dark box, open up the back, and try to reposition the plate. Doesn't always work & plate dries out.
5. I have another 8x10 holder on order from Anton.

Kent in SD

paulbarden
3-May-2020, 20:07
2. The dark slide sometimes scrapes the emulsion in a couple of places. I've been unable to fix that.
Kent in SD

I’ve heard reports of this from other people I know who bought one.

robertraymer
4-May-2020, 13:58
I’ve heard reports of this from other people I know who bought one.

FWIW I have not had any of these issues with mine, however I probably shoot far less often than many other people on here.

NCAmother
4-May-2020, 22:34
Issues:

1. Dark slide and grooves they go into were very very rough. Difficult to pull slide in/out. I needed a firm grip using two hands. I had to lightly polish and lubricate with silcone.
3. There is no light trap at the top of the holder. It's just flat.
4. Sometimes the plate jams the dark slide and it won't open. I have to run back to my dark box, open up the back, and try to reposition the plate. Doesn't always work & plate dries out.
5. I have another 8x10 holder on order from Anton.

Kent in SD

Thank you for the in depth reply!

Wayne Aho
5-May-2020, 18:30
I use the chamonix 4x5 and 5x7 and they are very well made. I have a small brake/shear that I use to trim the aluminum plates. I've heard from other wet platers that the 4x5 is now a true 4x5 size, but have not confirmed it, (you can contact chamonix).

Wayne