PDA

View Full Version : Ilford ULF annual film order 2020

Michael Wellman
30-Apr-2020, 18:28
Usually around this time of year we get word that we can put in our order for ULF with Ilford. However, I haven't heard anything about that this year. Did I miss the announcement? If not, has anyone heard anything?

Oren Grad
30-Apr-2020, 19:05
Nothing from Harman Technology yet. However, in light of their current production shutdown and employee furloughs because of covid-19, I think we have to expect a delay compared to prior years. When they are finally free to resume production they will need to re-do their entire plan for remainder of the year. Although they haven't said anything, it seems plausible that they might need to prioritize production of standard sizes to refill the retail supply chain before they can turn again to ULF production.

Rayt
30-Apr-2020, 19:30
I plan to get into 4x10 soon. Where do users order their ULF film? I don’t know how this works? Place a special order with B&H or from any dealer? Thanks.

Oren Grad
30-Apr-2020, 19:36
I plan to get into 4x10 soon. Where do users order their ULF film? I don’t know how this works? Place a special order with B&H or from any dealer? Thanks.

Ilford/Harman announces an order period, a list of items being offered, and a list of participating dealers. Purchasers are free to shop around and place their orders at any of the participating dealers. In general B&H has not been a participating dealer, but there have been plenty of other choices in the US, as well as several in other countries. At the end of the order period, Ilford compiles the orders and makes production plans. In prior years production has occurred over the summer, with delivery in early fall. However, what they will be able to do this year remains to be seen.

Rayt
30-Apr-2020, 19:42
Thanks Oren for the valuable info. I see on B&H right now there is a special order option for 4x10 and other sized with a minimum of 20 boxes. I guess they get it from one of the participating dealers when the time comes.

Oren Grad
30-Apr-2020, 19:52
Actually, it has been possible to place orders for special sizes at times other than the special order period, *if* you are willing to meet a large minimum order requirement as in that B&H listing. What's special about the "special" period is that during that time individuals can place small orders - even only a box or two - for any of the sizes listed, and Ilford is committed to produce those sizes even if the aggregate order for particular stock numbers is smaller than their usual minimum. The only exception has been a handful of long-roll products, where it's infeasible to cut only a handful of rolls from the master roll.

Here's hoping that Harman will be able to recover from the shutdown in good enough shape to be able to resume this special service.

Rayt
30-Apr-2020, 20:07
Oh I see. Makes perfect sense. I suppose committing to 500 sheets of fresh film that can used over 10 years won’t be a huge burden. Certainly something to think about. Thanks again!

Michael Wellman
1-May-2020, 07:34
I thought that the COVID maybe causing the delay but when you go to their web page all they say is that there may be a delay in you getting shipment. Kind of nebulous statement. I have emailed them asking about the order. If I here back from them I will post their response here.

Nodda Duma
1-May-2020, 10:52
Not just their shutdown, but covid is wreaking havoc with global shipping.

No surprise that their ULF special has been delayed

esearing
2-May-2020, 04:01
Since I ordered my new 5x12 camera I am going to need some film. Does anyone have any info on the 2020 Ilford ULF special order program? Nothing pops up in search except for 2019 which ended in May 2019. Or is there some 5x12 FP4+ out there somewhere.

Torontoamateur
2-May-2020, 05:31
We do know Ilford has stopped production due to the Covid 19 crisis. This is said to be temporary for workers protection.

Oren Grad
2-May-2020, 08:43
Threads merged.

dodphotography
4-May-2020, 09:56
What’s the scoop on 11x14? Some people tell me it’s part of the ULF order now for some vendors while some vendors have a special access , like BH. Regarding 11x14 Hp5

Tracy Storer
4-May-2020, 10:32
11"x14" FP4 and HP5 were both listed as ULF order sizes by PhotoWarehouses 2019 listings, the pages are still up. Whether some dealers (B&H, Samys, etc) periodically do their own orders of 11"x14" for stock, I don't know.

Oren Grad
4-May-2020, 10:54
What’s the scoop on 11x14? Some people tell me it’s part of the ULF order now for some vendors while some vendors have a special access , like BH. Regarding 11x14 Hp5

No special access needed. AFAIK anyone can order ULF at times other than the special order period, through an Ilford dealer, so long as you're willing to shell out for a minimum quantity somewhere in the $$$$ range. My impression, though, is that the MOQ is likely to be quite a bit less than the fairly steep amount that Kodak requires.

B&H has had 11x14 HP5 Plus as a regular stock item for years.

dodphotography
4-May-2020, 10:55
11"x14" FP4 and HP5 were both listed as ULF order sizes by PhotoWarehouses 2019 listings, the pages are still up. Whether some dealers (B&H, Samys, etc) periodically do their own orders of 11"x14" for stock, I don't know.

Oh that’s a good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Wellman
4-May-2020, 15:43
Does anyone know what the minimum order is for Ilford? I know Kodak has an obscene number and the Keith Canaham graciously organizes people looking for the same film and size to make it happen.

Mark Sampson
4-May-2020, 16:43
During the "annual special order", you could order as little as one box from Ilford. Outside that period, you'd have to ask them. Obviously with the shutdown, everything is in flux. I just hope that they can reopen at all.

Oren Grad
4-May-2020, 17:16
Does anyone know what the minimum order is for Ilford?

They have not publicized it and did not respond when I asked them about it a few years ago. It's conceivable that the amount will vary depending on competing demands on their production schedule, optimizing yield from their master rolls, etc.

FrancisF
14-Jul-2020, 17:58
My local camera store said they had been contacted by Ilford about the Special Order this year. The store asked if I was interested in the Special Order for 2020. This would suggest that it would be announced soon.

Ethan
14-Jul-2020, 18:36
I’ve never gone beyond 8x10, so I have no clue as to the truthfulness of this, or how one would go about it, but I’ve heard that the Chinese made film Shanghai GP3 can also be purchased in ulf sizes. I’ve got no clue where you would buy it, but it could be an alternative until Ilford re starts ULF sales. does anyone else here know more about that?

cp_photo
14-Jul-2020, 18:47
There is an eBay seller that offers the custom cuts of Shanghai film. If you search there you'll find it.

Andrew Plume
15-Jul-2020, 01:55
NOW CONFIRMED, IT'S HAPPENING :o

https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/unusual--ultra-large-format-sheet-film-29-c.asp

Great news for those on here :o

regards

Andrew

Tin Can
15-Jul-2020, 04:07
and there again, is the 1/2 plate price anomaly which I have been buying for some time

It is cheaper than tiny format film

This year I have camera and holders that size, previously I was cutting to tiny format

NOW CONFIRMED, IT'S HAPPENING :o

https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/unusual--ultra-large-format-sheet-film-29-c.asp

Great news for those on here :o

regards

Andrew

peter schrager
15-Jul-2020, 07:00
we need this announcement here in the USA!

Oren Grad
15-Jul-2020, 07:05
Thanks, Andrew.

Badger Graphic now has it up:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/category&path=235_292

Paul Cunningham
15-Jul-2020, 10:20
Blue Moon posted it on Facebook:Ilford ULF announcement (https://www.facebook.com/bluemooncamera/posts/3046844155431628)

we need this announcement here in the USA!

Oren Grad
15-Jul-2020, 15:50
Here's a direct link to the list of products and participating dealers:

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/ULF-2020-Items_Participants.doc

Tin Can
15-Jul-2020, 15:57
I see Central Camera is on the list!

jmdavis
15-Jul-2020, 16:19
The mpex announcement has been made. I just wish that 18x24cm was less expensive.

https://mpex.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=Ilford+Ultra+Large+Format%C2%A0

Oren Grad
15-Jul-2020, 16:54
The mpex announcement has been made. I just wish that 18x24cm was less expensive.

Look at the Ilford list of participating dealers and shop around - don't assume that the prices are the same everywhere.

Ron (Netherlands)
10-Aug-2020, 04:00
Look at the Ilford list of participating dealers and shop around - don't assume that the prices are the same everywhere.

Indeed prices may differ, but one might have to count for more times shipping costs if delivered from different countries....
Here in The Netherlands, no dealers want to take offers for the ULF program. Now I'm trying through Belgium but might give rise to more times shipping costs (UK > Belgium > Netherlands)

Michael Wellman
10-Aug-2020, 08:15
Here in the states there is a huge difference in price between stores. Some stores have prices listed on their web page (Freestyle, The View Camera) others you have to email. In my search VC had the best prices followed by Freestyle. Some of the stores I checked out midwest/east were really expensive. I don't see a reason for any of this because the price doesn't include tax or shipping.

Michael Wellman
10-Aug-2020, 08:25
I meant to add Badger to the best price list. Theirs prices are seem to be the same as the VC store.

Paul Cunningham
10-Aug-2020, 13:24
Here in the states there is a huge difference in price between stores.

Badger has a pretty good price which my local shop, Blue Moon Camera and Machine, matched on request. This is convenient for me (no shipping) and lets me support a local resource.

peter schrager
11-Aug-2020, 13:00
Badger has a pretty good price which my local shop, Blue Moon Camera and Machine, matched on request. This is convenient for me (no shipping) and lets me support a local resource.

actually wrong because the ULF order will be shipped from the distributor
Fred from the VC store told me this

Paul Cunningham
11-Aug-2020, 17:30
actually wrong because the ULF order will be shipped from the distributor
Fred from the VC store told me this

I find it fascinating that anyone else knows what arrangements my dealer has for receiving film. Is it possible that they will in fact be receiving some film themselves and that mine will be included with theirs, when shipped from the distributor?

Jim Noel
11-Aug-2020, 18:39
Fred at View Camera store is one of the best people I have ever dealt with. I always order through him.

Paul Cunningham
1-Dec-2020, 10:42
Blue Moon Camera and Machine just let me know that my 4x10" order has arrived. Well ahead of any other orders apparently, perhaps it was already in stock.

tbergphoto
1-Dec-2020, 14:22
Anyone have a source for 3.25 x 4.25 sheet film? I think Ilford only produces it once a year and my searches haven't turned up any. I did find some Chinese film in that size ASA 100 through Amazon -- but I'm open to ideas! I really don't want to start "cutting in the dark" unless I absolutely have to. LOL

Chauncey Walden
1-Dec-2020, 14:31
You can cut and load X-ray film under a red LED - assuming you can find any X-ray film now.

Oren Grad
1-Dec-2020, 15:08
Anyone have a source for 3.25 x 4.25 sheet film?

Check Freestyle:

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/category/2-Film/Black-and-White-Film?attr%5B%5D=1-51

keeds
2-Dec-2020, 02:37
My 7x17 FP4 Plus turned up a few weeks ago, but I am in the UK so that helps a lot.

Jim Noel
2-Dec-2020, 10:32
I received my 2020 order Monday, through Fred at View Camera Store.

peter schrager
2-Dec-2020, 15:49
I received my 2020 order Monday, through Fred at View Camera Store.
moi aussi...

otto.f
5-Dec-2020, 09:36
Here it is in stock:
https://www.fotoimpex.com/films/adox-adox-chs-100-ii-325x425-inch-quarter-plate-25-sheets-25-sheets.html?cache=1607186094

ghostcount
5-Dec-2020, 10:53
Anyone received theirs from Badger?

Oren Grad
5-Dec-2020, 12:54

Not yet. Will post when mine arrives.

tbergphoto
5-Dec-2020, 17:39
check freestyle:

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/category/2-film/black-and-white-film?attr%5b%5d=1-51

thank you!

Oren Grad
20-Jan-2021, 13:57

Not yet. Will post when mine arrives.

Received an email from Badger today that my order has just shipped.

ghostcount
20-Jan-2021, 14:21
Received an email from Badger today that my order has just shipped.

Thanks Oren.

Quick check with my e mail and I received my tracking number. I was a little uneasy when some received theirs from Fred last year.