PDA

View Full Version : John Nesbitt view camera

C.A
22-Dec-2005, 04:06
I once saw a John Nesbitt camera which I really liked, but can't find anything on him or his cameras. His he still alive and kicking and does anyone out there have a Nesbitt camera they want to part with.

paul owen
22-Dec-2005, 05:24
Hi "C". A few years ago (1980's era I think) John Nesbitt made wooden cameras here in (rainy) Wales, UK. He now (apparently) lives in France and no longer makes cameras. I have always wondered why people find his cameras so desirable? In my opinion they are heavy, cumbersome and are not great "users" - more suited for a display case? There is a "request" for one of his cameras on Ebay Uk at the moment.

evan clarke
22-Dec-2005, 06:35
Hi,
If you are interested in a really nice folder, made in the UK, contact Mike Walker. I have his 5x4 Titan FS and it is wonderful. Most importantly the film plane is perfectly on which goes far for crisp, sharp images. I have no affiliation..Evan Clarke

C.A
22-Dec-2005, 07:50
Hi Paul,
With all their problems I still can't help but like them. They're quite heavy but substancial, I do like a large solid view camera. I'm currantly using a Wisner which really suits me, I like layout, size and it's pleasing to the eye. The Nesbitt camera is one of those things which I saw and always wanted, it's becoming like searching for the holy grail.

C.A
22-Dec-2005, 08:15
Hi Evan, I looked at the Walker cameras some time ago and they had a similar look to a Wista. My problem with Walker cameras is they're constructed from plastic, a material which I really can't stand. I remember my early days in photography when a Nikon was a Nikon rapped in a full metal jacket, and then they turned to plastic. I never looked at Nikon the same way again. Someone once told me Walkers early cameras were actually wood, but then production was switch to plastic for it's resistance to climate changes. I'm just really old fashioned and like traditional materials.

Tony McLean
22-Dec-2005, 09:41
Hi C, I used to own one and certainly recognise its charms. More arts and crafts than designer. If you are after an 8x10 Mr Cad has one advertised for a few months now. Be quick, I may re-consider and buy it myself. Only kidding!

Vui Shin Chong
22-Dec-2005, 11:34
Hi,
I have a 8x10 wooden field John Nesbitt that I am very pleased with and has given me plenty of joy in using it. I have some great 8x10 trannies and black and white produced using the camera. It may be cumbersome and heavy but it is certainly a great joy to use. There may be lighter and more precise 8x10 like the Ebony, but they have a price tag of a small family car. JN cameras were all hand built and Mr Nesbitt changed his design slightly from one camera to the other. So the 8x10 that I have is basically one-off and that is indeed very special to me.

Regards

Chong

Barry Wilkinson
22-Dec-2005, 12:11
Hi,

Mr CAD in the UK is currently adverstising a 8x10 Nesbitt. I have not seen it though.

Barry

Barry Wilkinson
22-Dec-2005, 12:13
Sorry Tony, I missed your post!

Barry

C.A
22-Dec-2005, 13:00
Thanks for the info on the 10x8 Nesbitt camera Tony and Barry, I'll contact Mr CAD for more info, I've never seen a Nesbitt 10x8 before.

Matt L
2-Jan-2006, 11:28
I have a Nesbitt 8x10 - doesn't compare to a Wista or an Ebony in terms of finish - but works with no problems and has a character and presence all of its own. I've never been clear on value - I'd say that the Mr Cad price is a bit steep, but as the man says, you get something near unique for your money.

carlcreux
3-Nov-2011, 14:36
John Nesbitt is my neighbour, in France, I can relay any questions when I visit him.

thuillier43
7-Feb-2012, 08:48
Hi Carcreux,
If you are speaking to John, please send him my regards. I interviewed him for a documentary I made on my brother Harry in 2000/2001. I am going to embark on a photographic journey with the 10x8 camnera he made for Harry in Dublin many years ago. Actually I'm trying to source film holders for the 10x8 also. Maybe John might be able to point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Ian