PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 45GX as a field camera (and a future path to 8x10)?

thicktheo
27-Apr-2020, 04:43
What's your take on the Toyo 45GX as a field camera, when no hiking/long distance walking is involved?

Moreover, I am thinking that it could be an upgrade path to 8x10, by swapping out the rear standard, although they are hard to find used.

Background: I already have a Omega/Toyo View 45D for studio and a Graflex Speed Graphic for outdoors. The Graflex is kinda getting on my nerves lately: non-revolving back, tight movements, can't mount big lenses like the Fujinon 90mm/f6.8. I like that it packs easily but I still drive out to most shooting locations, so it's not that I need the smaller footprint.

Ari
27-Apr-2020, 08:03
It's fine if you can keep the equipment to a minimum, say, one 25cm rail, two lenses. I kept one in my car trunk in a milk crate, it was never banged-up or adversely affected by the spartan packing job.
They're great cameras, very rugged and allow every kind of movement you would need.
I've also owned the Toyo 810G, and things get quite heavy from that point on.
Walking even a few hundred feet with the 810 was a chore, so yes, it's best to not hike or walk much with it.

aphcl84
27-Apr-2020, 08:05
As long as you're not walking very far it's perfectly usable, I have a 45G that I use if I'm not walking more than a km. You will want a sturdy tripod for field use though, it really likes to catch the wind. You could try using the 45D in the field a few times to get a feel for what it's like, the GX will be very similar just with geared movements and heavier.

thicktheo
27-Apr-2020, 08:43
I've also owned the Toyo 810G, and things get quite heavy from that point on.
Walking even a few hundred feet with the 810 was a chore, so yes, it's best to not hike or walk much with it.

I'm still not sure about 8x10. I've only given it a thought as a "x-ray film & portraits" style, but it's still difficult to find both a working 8x10 camera and x-ray film in the European Union... I only seem to find beat-up Russian cameras in my limited budget, and I can hardly find cheap film (okay, maybe Fomapan).

You will want a sturdy tripod for field use though, it really likes to catch the wind.

I've got a quite heavy Manfrotto #117 with the #400 geared head and a "travel" 058B with the hexagonal three-way head. The first is much heavier but it's also extremely enjoyable.

You could try using the 45D in the field a few times to get a feel for what it's like, the GX will be very similar just with geared movements and heavier.

That is exactly what I plan to do in a couple of hours, but even after I've formed a personal opinion, the LFF has a ton of experience that is worth tapping into.

Andrew Plume
27-Apr-2020, 08:52
Hi Theo

I also have the Too 810G, I love it, but..............the weight is a real killer, the rear standard alone is bad enough..........but the reason why I still own it, is simple, it's rock solid, very much for a studio and/or out the back of a vehicle, preferably parked
nearby

regards (and good luck too)

Andrew

McSnood
27-Apr-2020, 09:33
Oddly enough, I am doing something similar only converting a 45D to 11x14. I see you have a 45D, I researched the many (older) designs to find one that would be easiest to modify. The 45D has slide adjustments for all rise adjustments using extruded aluminum channel that is easy to get. I believe you should have enough rise adjustment on both front and rear standards of your GX to get you to 8X10 without replacing for longer ones. For 11x14 I was about 35mm short to fit an 11x14 front and rear standard and I would not have had any rise adjustment so I have to remake front and rear slides. Changing the width of the rear standard will take some thinking. I also picked a 45D as I will modify my Kodak 2D 8x10 to accept the 45D lensbord so I can standardize my lens/board use. Suggestion would be take measurements 3x's and think it through from start to finish. Took me 4 months to get the design. I used foam core to build a prototype of the back standard. I was about to start building when virus hit and need to save money. Total start to finish budget cost is about $500.00,....I hope. I expect my first version will need some redesigns. Bellows dimensions and width of pleats will determine your back standard inside measurements. I make my own bellows so I have designed the rear standard to be as small as possible with 3/4" (20mm) bellows pleats. Let me know if you have any questions.

McSnood
27-Apr-2020, 13:08
Sorry.. misunderstood your question. Tooooo much coffee. What the other people said take one out and use in the field. Personally I like the full swing/tilts.

Andrew Plume
27-Apr-2020, 13:47
Sorry.. misunderstood your question. Tooooo much coffee. What the other people said take one out and use in the field. Personally I like the full swing/tilts.

Yes, totally agree, personally I'm a complete whore when it comes to movements, particularly swing and shift

regards

Andrew

Two23
27-Apr-2020, 20:42
I now have a nice light Chamonix 4x5, a 5x7 Gundlach Korona, and since January a Kodak 2D 8x10. After shooting some sheets with the 2D in January through March and wet plate from March until early April, for my outings the past couple of weeks I find myself returning to the Chamonix. It nice and light and quick to use. I do shoot a lot of small down architecture and ag industrial stuff and the Chamonix field camera seems to have enough movements for that.

Kent in SD

thicktheo
29-Apr-2020, 12:29
I took the Toyo 45D outdoors, and I have to say it worked like a charm. Yes, I was lugging around a bulky camera, but it wasn't much of a weight and it was easier to handle during shooting than the Speed Graphic. The rotating back, what a miracle!

203145 203146 203147

I also got to count all the light leaks in the bellows... My two daytime photos are ruined. The nighttime photo wasn't bothered by the light leak, and it was great finally having all kinds of movements on the 90mm.

I'm definitely going for the Toyo GX, a nice upgrade on my beaten 45D.

Considering that the GX also has a shorter rail, I think I might even re-fit one of my camera bags to be able to carry it a bit further in the field.

A proper field camera (like the Chamonix) would obviously be a better choice, but I'm looking at a cost of less than $500 for the GX package.