PDA

View Full Version : How to swing open Linhof focusing hood?

June L
22-Apr-2020, 06:10
Hello,
I've just received the Linhof Kardan Bi whicih I'm really impressed with. It also came with a focusing hood covering the ground glass.
The problem is that I can't swing it open when I want to reveal the whole ground glass. I can pop the hood open using the little button just fine.
I think the silver protruding part on the right side is to be used, but it is just stuck even when I apply moderate amount of pressure.
I've seen a photo where the hood is swung open, so there has to be a way. But how? I'm confused and in need of advice.

Bob Salomon
22-Apr-2020, 06:33
You lift up on that protrusion and swing it away.
If it is stuck you should have it checked by service. There is a small stud that it locks onto and there have to be the correct number of shim washers under that stud for it to latch and unlatch properly. Someone may have resorted to an adhesive.

June L
22-Apr-2020, 06:59
Thank you very much Bob,
I've managed open it by putting more pressure on the protrusion. Maybe I was being too cautious.
I also found that there is a crack on the plastic ring. Perhaps this is the washer you've mentioned?
If so, should I take extra care not to break it totally and prevent it from falling off, since it can affect the latching/unlatching function of the hood?

+ Oh you said 'under the stud', so this must not be the washer. Sorry for misreading. But I suppose the plastic ring is important as well?

Bob Salomon
22-Apr-2020, 07:06
Thank you very much Bob,
I've managed open it by putting more pressure on the protrusion. Maybe I was being too cautious.
I also found that there is a crack on the plastic ring. Perhaps this is the washer you've mentioned?
If so, should I take extra care not to break it totally and prevent it from falling off, since it can affect the latching/unlatching function of the hood?

+ Oh you said 'under the stud', so this must not be the washer. Sorry for misreading. But I suppose the plastic ring is important as well?

No, the shim washers are under the stud that the hood latches on to. You may need to have that ring replaced if the crack gets worse.

June L
22-Apr-2020, 07:19
Thank you Bob. Since I may have problem getting a replacement from where I live, I think I have to be extra cautious when opening and closing the latch.
Anyways, your advice was very helpful on not only this specific problem, but also on numerous times I searched the internet to get information on Linhofs and large format photography.
I was helped greatly from your comments, so it is nice to finally communicate with you here.
Thanks again for your time, and have a great day.

Bob Salomon
22-Apr-2020, 11:46
Thank you Bob. Since I may have problem getting a replacement from where I live, I think I have to be extra cautious when opening and closing the latch.
Anyways, your advice was very helpful on not only this specific problem, but also on numerous times I searched the internet to get information on Linhofs and large format photography.
I was helped greatly from your comments, so it is nice to finally communicate with you here.
Thanks again for your time, and have a great day.

Thanks and good luck.

Emailing the factory or a service center should get shims to you.