PDA

View Full Version : Infinity stop on MT Classic

Brian_6142
21-Dec-2005, 05:12
I just purchased a 150mm Symmar L for the MT Classic but there is no instructions on how to install the infinity stops and the cams. Will someone be kind enough to let me know the proper way to install these items as well as the distance scale.

Many thanks,

Brian

Bob Salomon
21-Dec-2005, 07:34
Marflex@aol.com can tell you the proper method to install the stops.

Be aware that the screws used to mount the stops have sharpened points that grip into the chrome rails on the Technika. If you tighten a screw and then find that the stop was not in the proper position the screw will leave a pit mark in the rail that can not be removed. So if you want to eliminate your camera rails from looking like they had a case of Chicken pox you must use the proper instructions for installing the stops.

As an aside the main use for the stops is to place the lens at the proper point on the rail so that the rangefinder focusing is accurate. If you don't use the rangefinder you really don't need the stops or the focusing scale.

As for the cam the instructions are in the instruction book. You simply extend the rails with the lens standard in the body and push the cam into the cam holder under the rails.

There are three positions on the sliding scale holder for the focusing scale. The scale for the 150 is usually positioned on the middle slot on the sliding scale holder.

Brian_6142
21-Dec-2005, 07:50
Thanks, Bob. There is one problem and that is I cannot fit the stops onto the rail. I tried to force and slide one of them in but it can only slide in 1 or 2mm before getting stuck on the rail. Does anyone have a better way of slipping these stops in? Does anyone have to file them down so that they will fit properly?

Brian

David A. Goldfarb
21-Dec-2005, 08:32
Have you loosened the screw on the stop? It should slip on easily without modification or any pressure at all.

Brian_6142
21-Dec-2005, 08:38
David,

Yes, I have lossen the screw on the stops so that it does not protrude at the bottom, but it still does not fit in. Any idea?Is it easier to slip it in from the side of the top board with the "Linhof " mark or should it be equally easy from either side?

Brian_6142
21-Dec-2005, 08:42
Another question is that the APO Symmar L 150mm is fitted on a recessed kind of board and I notice that there is an offset where the lens is mounted. Everything is genuine Linhof. Is this normal?

David A. Goldfarb
21-Dec-2005, 08:43
No, they should slide on just as easily from either side. You've got them oriented the right way?

In any case, don't force anything. It should be simple. Call Marflex, if you don't figure it out.

David A. Goldfarb
21-Dec-2005, 08:45
Yes, the lens mount is normal. Offsets and shims make it possible to do things like set a 150mm lens and a 90mm lens to use the same infinity stops with the rail in the retracted position for the 90mm.

Brian_6142
21-Dec-2005, 08:52
If I look at the MT manual, the screw on the stops should be further away from the camera than the "hinged" tab. Am I right?

Bob Salomon
21-Dec-2005, 09:07
There are more then one type of infinity stop for Linhof cameras.

At this point, assuming you don't have a gray market Linhof, you should get in touch with Marflex and have them guide you.

Brian_6142
21-Dec-2005, 09:12
I am located in Hong Kong and I bought the lens from the Hong Kong official importer and I will try to contact them tomorow.

Bob Salomon
21-Dec-2005, 09:48
SHRIRO Pacific Ltd.
Suites 2507-16, CITIC Tower
1 Tim Mei Avenue
Central
Hong Kong
(Admiralty MTR Station Exit E1)
Tel. +852 / 25 24 50 31
Fax +852 / 28 10 65 86
info@shriro.com.hk

This is the Linhof distributor for Hong Kong. They should be able to get you up and running.

Brian_6142
21-Dec-2005, 10:12
I know their address but thanks anyway, Bob. I was just trying to resolve the problem before tomorrow (just like most of us who got a new toy but does not know how to make it work) but I've given up already (for tonight I mean).