PDA

View Full Version : Starting Dev Time For New Bergger Print Film?

LFLarry
14-Apr-2020, 04:46
Hi, I just received a new package of the Bergger Print Film and I read the spec sheet which does not supply any information on a starting development time for the film. The spec sheet only shows a CI curve which has a range of 1.0 to 2.0 and dev times ranging from 4 min to 16 min using D76 stock at 22C. This is confusing to me because I thought a normal CI for making silver gelatin prints was in the .5 range and .7 range for platinum for example. I am sure I probably just don't fully understand the chart I am looking at.

I am looking for help on how I can properly test and establish a standard development time with this print film.

Can someone here outline the steps I need to take in order to do this properly?

I have included a photo of the CI curve mentioned above.

Thank you,

Larry

ic-racer
14-Apr-2020, 06:21
The graph shows the important data. If you make your internegatives or interpositives with such low CI as you mention in your post, you will likely be lacking contrast in the final prints.

LFLarry
14-Apr-2020, 06:24
Hi, I appreciate the reply but I still don’t have any info to help me proceed. Like I said either I don’t understand the chart that was provided to help me establish a standard dev time to make silver prints or there is some other process that I need to learn? Looking for guidance from the group here.

Thank you.

RichardRitter
14-Apr-2020, 08:21
I would take a sheet and cut it into strips and expose then all to the same part of an image. Then develop , at 4 minutes pull one, at 6 min pull one, at 8 pull one and at 10 pull one. then print and find the time that is giving you the contrast you want or is close to what you want. Once you find a time that is close to what you want do the same test with shorter time between pulling from the developer in that time range.

LFLarry
14-Apr-2020, 08:23
Hi Richard that is very helpful. Thank you very much.