PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 on a Bicycle?

marcookie
11-Apr-2020, 12:55
A short 2-minute film on local photography on a bicycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfkG4z6LPgM

The "lightweight" setup is discussed in another video (link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk6Mb_0Hqfs&feature=youtu.be)).

marcookie
11-Apr-2020, 13:03
Now that I think about it, this is the real 100% analog workflow! Haha

Roger Thoms
11-Apr-2020, 14:10
Nice video, thanks for posting.

Roger

Michael Wellman
11-Apr-2020, 14:21
That's great. I've thought about buying a trailer for my back to haul my 8x10 around for photo. Certainly allows you to get some place a lot easier

Willie
11-Apr-2020, 14:42
Check out the 7x17 work of Lois Connor in China. She photographed and traveled around the cities on a bicycle. Not all the time, but more than enough to give a ton of experience.

Roger Thoms
11-Apr-2020, 14:48
Check out the 7x17 work of Lois Connor in China. She photographed and traveled around the cities on a bicycle. Not all the time, but more than enough to give a ton of experience.

Will do, just happen to have a 7x17 too. Actually she sounds familiar.

Roger

Two23
11-Apr-2020, 15:00
I've been trying to come up with some sort of trailer that would let me pull my portable wet plate lab behind my bike for 8x10. My small city has a great paved bike trail that follows the river. Once it quits snowing and warms up I was hoping to go out on it.

Kent in SD

Jody_S
11-Apr-2020, 15:54
Having done long distance cycling in my youth on a touring bike, there are of course ways of carrying a full 8x10 kit on a bike without putting the weight on your back. But if you're essentially backpacking like he is and intermittently using a bicycle for short distances, the above makes sense.

Willie
11-Apr-2020, 16:58
Will do, just happen to have a 7x17 too. Actually she sounds familiar.

Roger

Excellent photographer and teacher. Guggenheim award and NEA fellowship along the way. Has spent a lot of time in China. Taught at Yale University, among others. Has some fine books you can check out.

Roger Thoms
11-Apr-2020, 17:09
Excellent photographer and teacher. Guggenheim award and NEA fellowship along the way. Has spent a lot of time in China. Taught at Yale University, among others. Has some fine books you can check out.

Just ordered her book, Beijing: Comtemporary and Imperial. Thanks for the heads up.

Roger

marcookie
11-Apr-2020, 17:30

Impressive work, thanks for the reference, I did not know her.

William Whitaker
11-Apr-2020, 17:31
Ah, youth!

marcookie
11-Apr-2020, 17:34
I've been trying to come up with some sort of trailer that would let me pull my portable wet plate lab behind my bike for 8x10. My small city has a great paved bike trail that follows the river. Once it quits snowing and warms up I was hoping to go out on it.

Kent in SD

Sounds like a great plan.. Be mindful of the shaking anyway. I don't have hard evidence, but since I started to take my lenses on the bike, two of them started to fail (an old dagor jammed, and perhaps also a newer Fujinon is showing some issues with the T mode). I think they were in need of a CLA and the general harsher conditions on the bike ride accelerated the process..

drewf64
11-Apr-2020, 17:34
A short 2-minute film on local photography on a bicycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfkG4z6LPgM

The "lightweight" setup is discussed in another video (link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk6Mb_0Hqfs&feature=youtu.be)).

Cool Video, Marcookie!!
Thanks for posting.

Roger Thoms
11-Apr-2020, 17:38
http://www.loisconner.net/

Roger

Vaughn
11-Apr-2020, 18:35
Sounds like a great plan.. Be mindful of the shaking anyway. I don't have hard evidence, but since I started to take my lenses on the bike, two of them started to fail (an old dagor jammed, and perhaps also a newer Fujinon is showing some issues with the T mode). I think they were in need of a CLA and the general harsher conditions on the bike ride accelerated the process..

I spent 5.5 months (1986) on a bicycle with a 4x5 and a relatively new Caltar IIN 150/5.6. About 2200 miles on the bike with the camera. Miles (days) on of gravel roads, etc. Fortunately no issues with the lens...still using it without a CLA, though not much these past years as the camera is a bit small. I spent a lot time routinely tightening all the bolts, etc on the bike, though!

These are pricey, but I'd get rid of a car...

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_easy

reddesert
11-Apr-2020, 19:02
Nice video, great editing.

I grew up there - is that the bridge across the Allegheny to Lawrenceville? I had to look at a Bridges of Pittsburgh website to research it - there are so many.

I've always hoped that carrying sensitive equipment (laptop, cameras) on my back on the bike is a little better than carrying it in panniers or a trailer, because of the extra suspension of my body.

Willie
12-Apr-2020, 07:47
Maybe a recumbent Trike? More stable than a bike and seems as if it would be easier towing a small bike trailer as well. Some look as if they are designed for rough roads and should last.

Prices for good ones seem high - more than I paid for a very good Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab(used).

36cm2
12-Apr-2020, 18:01
Great video. Awesome workflow. From pedal to print. Thank you.

Duolab123
12-Apr-2020, 19:57
Maybe you could use the seat post for a tripod column :-) I've got a 1970's vintage Campagnolo seat post that has a heck of a clamp :rolleyes:
27.2mm if I remember correctly.
Seriously, beautiful shots.

Drew Wiley
2-Nov-2020, 17:50
Get a tandem bike and you could make 8x10 stereo photos.

peter schrager
2-Nov-2020, 21:28
Nice video..thanks

otto.f
2-Nov-2020, 23:31
Very nice film, also the other one with the equipment, thanks a lot. I recently bought a titanium gravel bike to make this possible too, only Chamonix 4x5 thus far.

Vaughn
3-Nov-2020, 12:55
I did buy the Surley BigEasy...so far just 5x7.

Writingskin
22-Jan-2024, 00:27
If you're planning to use your bike for photography, it's a good idea to think about bicycle insurance. It can protect you in case something unexpected happens, like theft or damage. In the UK, there's a company called Sundays Insurance that offers coverage for cyclists. You can check them out at this link: https://sundaysinsurance.co.uk/. I know insurance isn't the most exciting topic, but it's worth considering to keep your bike and gear safe.

jnantz
22-Jan-2024, 04:16
Nicholas Nixon did that ( maybe still does ? ) .

John Layton
24-Jan-2024, 15:40
You could mount an LF camera (folded) to your handlebars, then when you arrive at your ideal spot...just pop down your kickstand, unfold the camera - and there you are! :)

Greg
24-Jan-2024, 16:15
Many years ago I adapted two hard cases to fit my 8x10 outfit and ride on the back of my bike. Both cases were very well padded inside. I do not advise anyone else to do this. Even though my equipment was very well padded, the vibrations continuously caused me problems with things coming loose and also one time inside an Ilex #5 shutter. 95% of the time I was riding on dirt and gravel side roads. Eventually switched to a f/64 backpack and all my problems were gone. With the backpack my center of gravity was higher, but I got used to that on my first long bike ride. My tripod I kept attached to the back of the bike.

Michael Jones
25-Jan-2024, 09:24
Nicholas Nixon did that ( maybe still does ? ) .

He did with an ultralight & compact Ritter.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
25-Jan-2024, 09:43
I have been biking with a 5x12 around town. I use an extended bike as mentioned above with huge rear bags. I recently upgraded to an eBike with fat tires which is really nice, but makes me feel lazy.