PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Microtek i800?

David Honey
17-Dec-2005, 11:17
Just wondered if there's any feedback out there yet...

Thanks.

Jack Flesher
17-Dec-2005, 18:57
Already mentioned this in an earlier thread so sorry for the repeat if you read it...

I compared one to the Epson 4990 at my dealer, scanning a 4x5 Astia tranny. Bottom line was the following:

1) The new film holder is way over-rated -- it buckled the film on insertion about half the time;

2) The i800 appeared *slightly* sharper than the E 4990;

3) D-max appeared essentially the same with perhaps a very slight edge to the Epson;

4) The deal killer for me: The i800 took about 3x as long to scan as the Epson.

5) I came home with the Epson, but respect yours and others mileages may vary...

Cheers,

David Honey
17-Dec-2005, 19:12
Hi Jack -- yeah I think I read your other post, but was wondering if anyone else had one yet.

Is there another way to use the film holder?

How long exactly did it take for a 4x5 scan?

(You can see I'm stalling! I was hoping for better news.)

To go by your impression, I guess you'd have to choose the Epson... too bad, I like the look of the MT better.

Thanks!

Jack Flesher
17-Dec-2005, 22:32
Well somebody needs to be the guinea-pig, so it might as well be you :D

Just buy the darn thing, test it and report back!

>evil grin<

David Honey
17-Dec-2005, 23:06
Ha! Maybe I'll email Santa and get one for Christmas...

Jack Flesher
18-Dec-2005, 10:22
>> Ha! Maybe I'll email Santa and get one for Christmas... <<

I order so much stuff from B&H my wife is convinced Santa is jewish.

;),

Linas Kudzma
18-Dec-2005, 17:52
Rumor has it Santa is bringing one for me as well. I sure hope we all like it.....

David Honey
18-Dec-2005, 18:23
I've never bought photographic equipment from Santa Claus before... how's his return policy?!

David F
28-Dec-2005, 20:56
I'm wondering if when you use a 4x5 film holder on either the Epson or Microtek, if you can get the film edges with distinctive holes and so forth, or do these get cut off?

David.

John N
29-Dec-2005, 09:00
I am considering the i800 to replace an Epson 1640SI . I looked at the 4990 but like the lower cost of the i800 and the 3 inch larger scan length. There are a number of early reviews that rave about the i800 output, and Microtek has won numerous awards for their other lines (i900 and 1800f) and suspect the i800 will carry this reputation forward. My local dealer tells me the i900 is discontinued and the i800 is its replacement.

One advantage to the i800 over the 4990 is the 14 inch scan area. As I see it the only down side to the i800 is the scan time. You mentioned a 3X longer scan time. Can you provide some added details, actual times and set up. For example were the scans of prints or film, ICE on or off, full length scans or cropped scans (the i800 has a 14" bed and would expect added scan time to cover the added 3 inches of bed length).

I think the 4990 has a much improved scan time from former scanners. I can live with some longer scan times but if it is excessive e.g. hours vs minutes... it could make a difference in my decision.

Personally I don't think one could go wrong with either product.

Thanks