PDA

View Full Version : Macro setup possible

PatrickMarq
3-Apr-2020, 01:36
To keep myself busy, I would like to take some macro images of my great-grandfather’s gasoline lighters.
What do I have:
Chamonix 4x5-F2 standard bellows
lenses: 90mm,150mm and 300mm

Thinking of getting a 210mm if needed.

Thx
Patrick

blue4130
3-Apr-2020, 02:59
To keep myself busy, I would like to take some macro images of my great-grandfather’s gasoline lighters.
What do I have:
Chamonix 4x5-F2 standard bellows
lenses: 90mm,150mm and 300mm

Thinking of getting a 210mm if needed.

Thx
Patrick

I did this with a Chamonix and a fuji 135mm. It's slightly larger than 1:1, probably closer to 2:1

PatrickMarq
3-Apr-2020, 03:35
Ok, I’m going to try today.
Lovely picture

Willie
3-Apr-2020, 05:40
If you are thinking of a 210 - check out a 210 Macro or a 180 Macro lens. The Rodenstock Macro-Sironar-N in 210, Schneider's Macro-Symmar HM in 120 and 180 and Nikon made a few but I don't remember the focal lengths.

The macro lenses will do a better job than a normal lens for your close work. Check carefully the optimum magnification range to match what you are photographing. Check more carefully the bellows draw needed to work with close and macro images. A lot of cameras can't handle the bellows needed for lifesize images at 1:1 and if you go larger than lifesize on film - good luck. Then - distance from the lens to the subject you are photographing. 120 close up lenses sound fine til you realize you are often so close to the small subject that the camera interferes with your lighting.

The closer you get the more important your Tripod and technique become. Any errors are magnified.

Bob Solomon can probably give a lot more information on them - if he chimes in his information is always welcome as he knows his stuff.

alexmuir
3-Apr-2020, 06:05
You can use the screw-in Close-up lenses which come in +1,+2,+3 etc diopters. They fit on the lens like a filter, and remove the need for extra bellows draw. They are inexpensive, and quality is surprisingly good, as long as you work around f22-32. The View Camera Manual (?) by Leslie Stroebel makes reference to them as ‘positive supplementary lenses’. I have tried this technique, and found it be less hassle than using a normal lens on its own, and less expensive than a dedicated macro lens (which would, obviously, give the best results). A lot depends on how much close-up work you envisage doing.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Greg
3-Apr-2020, 06:36
Attached (cropped) image shot with a 4x5 Sinar Norma, lots of bellows extension, and a barrel 120mm Micro-Nikkor. Natural lighting. Lens actually substantially stopped down. Exposure was around 1 minute if I recall correctly. Medium weight tripod with a Bogen/Manfrotto extension arm clamped to one of the tripod's bottom legs and duct taped to the front of the camera's rail. The whole set-up looked like it would never work and the exposure was a guess. Best thing to do is to just get out there and use whatever equipment you have. In this case shooting with a 35mm or even a 6x6 camera would have been the sane thing to do, but then what's the challenge...

Drew Bedo
3-Apr-2020, 06:37
I have used screw-in plus diopters in the past, and it can work out. I have a little Wista made Zone VI with ~12" of extension.

For these small set-ups, I rack the bellows to estsblish reproduction ratio and slide the composition around(on a cloth doily to place subject in the plane of focus. I am sure that there are more sophisticsted ways to do this.

Peter De Smidt
3-Apr-2020, 06:39
Something like a 150mm G-claron makes a terrific lens for shooting at about 1x magnification on 4x5. They're cheap.

Drew Wiley
3-Apr-2020, 15:12
A lens designed for close-up work is going to do a better job than a an add-on close-up filter. If you're looking for a focal length intermediate to what you already have, a 180 Fuji A or 210 G-Claron would provide exceptional performance from quite close up clear to infinity.

PatrickMarq
4-Apr-2020, 03:34
I thing I’m going with the screw-in filters if I can order them. Macro is not my thing but it will keeps me occupied for now.

alexmuir
4-Apr-2020, 04:00
I thing I’m going with the screw-in filters if I can order them. Macro is not my thing but it will keeps me occupied for now.

I have sets made by Nikon and Hoya. They are good quality. You can pick them up fairly easily on the used market. They are less expensive that way, and the ones I have acquired have all been in good condition. All you need to know is the filter thread sizes. Adapter rings can be used to try them on all your lenses, if filter thread sizes vary.
Alex

Drew Bedo
4-Apr-2020, 05:37
I have sets made by Nikon and Hoya. They are good quality. You can pick them up fairly easily on the used market. They are less expensive that way, and the ones I have acquired have all been in good condition. All you need to know is the filter thread sizes. Adapter rings can be used to try them on all your lenses, if filter thread sizes vary.
Alex

I got my set years ago at a camera show. The set came in an F64 filter wallet and they are all 72mm. At that tine this was a relatively unusually large size, and the price was a batgan (edont remember exactly how much) Next went to the bargan bin/junk drawer at Houston's Camera Co-Op to find step-up rings to fit my lenses and presto. Later on, I found a few 72mm B&W filters in 72mm too.

The argument can be made that only a dedicated macro designed lens will do the job. I f I had a big assignment documenting a valuable stamp collection I might get one . . . but for now, the screw-in plus diopters will do just fine.

C. D. Keth
6-Apr-2020, 09:53
You can use the screw-in Close-up lenses which come in +1,+2,+3 etc diopters.

I've used those fairly often on cine cameras. With a view camera they should save fussing with huge bellows extensions. It's also nice that you can predict your camera position and extension ahead of time a little better. With your camera bellows at infinity focus, a plus diopter will focus at (1/diopter #) meters from the film plane.

Tom Monego
6-Apr-2020, 10:22
I have done quite a bit of macro work on 4x5, using a Cambo/Calumet monorail and a 120 f5.6 Apo Macro Nikkor. I would light directly over a shiny object, use camera movements to get the correct image. This is a pen sized surgical instrument the tip is 1mm across.

LabRat
6-Apr-2020, 17:43
Remember that for 1:1, the extension needed is 2X the FL between lens and film, so (for example) with a 210mm lens, you will need 420mm between them to cover a 4X5 shooting area (with 4X5 format)...

Steve K

marcookie
10-Apr-2020, 13:55
I made a spreadsheet to calculate bellows draw and camera position for macrophotography. You may find it helpful to select your setup. Please see at this link in the forum: https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?157592-Macro-Photography-Setup-Calculator