PDA

View Full Version : Covid-19: Ilford factory in Mobberley shutting down for now

Oren Grad
30-Mar-2020, 14:08
Announcement on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/IlfordPhoto/posts/10158319565888734

Coronavirus Pandemic: HARMAN technology Update

As the Coronavirus continues to wreak havoc around the world, HARMAN is frequently reviewing its approach to the pandemic, incorporating the latest guidance issued by the UK Government into our actions.

As we stated last week, our principle concern remains the health and safety of our employees, although we are also looking at how we can protect the business through this difficult time.

As the situation escalates, we have had to take the difficult decision to temporarily cease production at our Mobberley site from Wednesday 1st April 2020 until further notice.
While the UK government advice indicates that manufacturing businesses can still operate, with the country in lockdown we feel now is the time to act in order to protect our employees and our National Health Service (NHS) by minimising the spread of the virus.

What does this mean for you, our customers?

Naturally, buying behaviours have changed significantly as people prioritise the essentials, shops have been forced to shut and people are being asked to stay indoors. However, we do hope where possible you will keep buying our film, paper and chemicals to get you through this period of lockdown / self-isolation.

With that in mind:

• Our warehouse will remain open (for as long as possible) in order to despatch products to distributors, online retailers and direct to customers via ilfordphoto.com (UK & USA only). Please be assured that social distancing measures are being adhered to and personal protective equipment is in use.

• Over recent weeks, in anticipation of this, we increased manufacture of our most popular products, so our warehouse is well stocked in order to meet demand.

• Where possible we have moved other essential staff to working from home, so we are still able to service the market to the best of our ability.

Please be aware that many of our stockists are still operating (albeit online only) although we anticipate that the shipping of product could become more difficult over the coming weeks. Therefore, if you are running short of our products and looking to replenish them, we recommend you purchase them soon.

What does this mean for the future?

For over 140 years the ILFORD name has been synonymous with film photography and we intend to continue this well into the future. In stopping production, we are simply taking the necessary short-term measures to safeguard the long-term future of our business and our most valuable assets, our employees.

Most of our employees have been ‘furloughed’ under a UK government job retention scheme and are all eager to pick up where they off as quickly and efficiently as possible. At that point the world may still be facing economic challenges and further uncertainly but with your continued support and passion we are determined to come back stronger than ever.

Until then please stay safe, stay at home, shoot some film, make some prints and remember to wash your hands. As always stay in touch with us on our @ilfordphoto social channels and website: www.ilfordphoto.com

Tin Can
30-Mar-2020, 14:38
Good news

I am glad they are protecting staff and did run a bit more product

The whole world is watching and holding our breath

May this tragedy pass

Two23
30-Mar-2020, 20:38
Stocks will likely last through the shut down. I expect them to be back up again by mid June. I have enough FP4 to last into autumn I think. For the past 8 months I've mostly been doing wet plate. With the coming shipment of Jason's plate holders I'll be shooting some of those again too. With my portable dark lab I can now easily reload and even field process those if I want.

Kent in SD

Duolab123
30-Mar-2020, 22:06
I've got plenty of film and paper. I will be saving my meager earnings to buy more Ilford products. I do think I will send a short order for some sheet film. No panic purchases.

Kiwi7475
31-Mar-2020, 21:51
I’m just now seeing B&H has increased all LF Ilford prices, not sure when but I got some FP4+ 4x5 100-sheets for 149 and now its 179. Same for 8x10 I paid 129 3 weeks ago and now it’s 149. They’re now one of the most expensive stores for Ilford film.

Sal Santamaura
1-Apr-2020, 14:33
I’m just now seeing B&H has increased all LF Ilford prices, not sure when but I got some FP4+ 4x5 100-sheets for 149 and now its 179. Same for 8x10 I paid 129 3 weeks ago and now it’s 149. They’re now one of the most expensive stores for Ilford film.

That just means B&H moves more than any other retailer and is selling stock received since HARMAN raised its wholesale prices. Other retailers will catch up.

jtomasella
1-Apr-2020, 15:04
Didn't know where to stick this. Saw a news article that Ilford was stopping film production for the foreseeable future. Of course I ordered some. I'm sure it will be out of stock pretty quick.

Threads merged --Oren

Kiwi7475
1-Apr-2020, 15:27
Didn't know where to stick this. Saw a news article that Ilford was stopping film production for the foreseeable future. Of course I ordered some. I'm sure it will be out of stock pretty quick.

Threads merged --Oren

Let’s see, I may close for 2 months, let me increase production to stock those 2 months, I tell everyone that I’m stopping production but I push all that stock out, and when I come back I haven’t lost anything because people will be panic-buying it.... sounds like a good strategy. Oh, and I increase the price while I’m at it.

paulbarden
1-Apr-2020, 15:44
It puzzles me how often people encounter news like this and the first thing they think is that the company is acting purely out of greed. WTF?

Tin Can
1-Apr-2020, 15:51
Supply and Demand

Is the way of any business

B&H ships free

I prefer B&H as seller, they have never screwed me and they beat Amazon almost every time

If you don't want to pay the price, make your own film

It is possible, I posted a link to how to make emulsions this week

Right now most of us are far more worried about life itself

Kiwi7475
1-Apr-2020, 16:51
Supply and Demand

Is the way of any business

B&H ships free

I prefer B&H as seller, they have never screwed me and they beat Amazon almost every time

If you don't want to pay the price, make your own film

It is possible, I posted a link to how to make emulsions this week

Right now most of us are far more worried about life itself

Supply and demand is currently broken though

There’s other ways of running businesses

Who knows what changes we are yet to see

They may not be small

Mark Sampson
1-Apr-2020, 17:52
Well, I certainly hope that Ilford can survive, whatever it may take. I fear for all the film manufacturers these days.

Drew Wiley
1-Apr-2020, 19:48
We film photographers and darkroom workers are a pretty stubborn bunch. I was planning on ordering more Ilford products right now if I wasn't suspicious of every box that lands on the porch.

jtomasella
2-Apr-2020, 02:21
We film photographers and darkroom workers are a pretty stubborn bunch. I was planning on ordering more Ilford products right now if I wasn't suspicious of every box that lands on the porch.
Yeah I know what you mean. The box I'm getting comes from the hottest spot in the country atm. Gonna pick it up with gloves and go set it somewhere safe for a week or so.

PatrickMarq
2-Apr-2020, 03:38
Yeah I know what you mean. The box I'm getting comes from the hottest spot in the country atm. Gonna pick it up with gloves and go set it somewhere safe for a week or so.

Indeed, I just have ordered some Delta and HP5 and when the delivery arrives I’ll do the same

John Layton
2-Apr-2020, 12:11
As above...I just put in an order for 5x7 fp4 - will let things sit for awhile before opening.

Please do what you can to keep yourself and your families safe!

C. D. Keth
2-Apr-2020, 12:41
They'll be fine. I've seen many versions lately of "I'm bored stuck at home and shot through my usual month worth of film in 4 days."

Drew Wiley
2-Apr-2020, 12:44
I know what to do with the pkg, but the parcel carrier might pick up a bug on his hands or otherwise and spread it to the next stop, where they're not as careful. This is one case where the usual quickie shipping method has a distinct disadvantage.

Paul Cunningham
4-Apr-2020, 09:14
Let us hope that they continue with the special order sale of unusual sizes for many years to come. At the moment, I would guess that to at least be delayed this year.

Duolab123
4-Apr-2020, 17:13
I ordered some 8x10 and 4x5. I needed to restock. I shoot a lot of Kodak in 120, for sheets it's all Ilford. I love every film and paper they make. Bromophen is my paper developer of choice, I use Hypam fixer.

Monty McCutchen
4-Apr-2020, 17:40
It puzzles me how often people encounter news like this and the first thing they think is that the company is acting purely out of greed. WTF?

So true. Said about a company that goes out of its way to serve this community with an annual run of no minimum odd sizes that I’m sure is much more problematic to produce than its worth. And yet year after year there they are for us. Ilford has been there for us and I hope they continue to be. If they are I’ll be sure to be there when they return increase or not.

Duolab123
4-Apr-2020, 19:15
My, if it was about greed they would be issue credit cards. Hmmn??

MartinP
5-Apr-2020, 09:03
Was there ever any conclusive result about negotiations on the Mobberley site lease, which was due to finish this year or 2021?? I recall the local authority not allowing any updates and modernisation of the site (because 'chemicals = nasty' apparently) but then it all went quiet again. This was a couple of years ago.

Two23
5-Apr-2020, 11:53
Was there ever any conclusive result about negotiations on the Mobberley site lease, which was due to finish this year or 2021?? I recall the local authority not allowing any updates and modernisation of the site (because 'chemicals = nasty' apparently) but then it all went quiet again. This was a couple of years ago.

I would guess that might change now as so many people will be demanding jobs.

Kent in SD

Eric Woodbury
5-Apr-2020, 12:57
I bought a bunch from Samys. Same price and less than BH. Freestyle has it too. BH has dropped back a bit, but still high.

Kiwi7475
5-Apr-2020, 14:39
I bought a bunch from Samys. Same price and less than BH. Freestyle has it too. BH has dropped back a bit, but still high.

Sammy's doesn't seem to carry 8x10. Freestyle charges $16 for shipping. B&H shipping is free and 2-day. With their card you don't pay taxes. They're still the cheapest option overall for 8x10....

Eric Woodbury
5-Apr-2020, 15:19
More importantly, Samy's doesn't carry 5x7. All true. Last week, BH was $175 for 8x10. They dropped 25 bucks. 120 still much cheaper from Sam. And paper. Samy has free shipping, too, and given where I live, it shows up the next day.

Kiwi7475
5-Apr-2020, 16:42
More importantly, Samy's doesn't carry 5x7. All true. Last week, BH was $175 for 8x10. They dropped 25 bucks. 120 still much cheaper from Sam. And paper. Samy has free shipping, too, and given where I live, it shows up the next day.

Yup. 3-4 weeks ago the same FP4 8x10 at B&H was 130, then like you say 175, and now 150. I have both from the first and the latter, and the one I just received last Friday has the same "expiration date" as the one I bought 4 weeks ago. This makes me think that it's the same “batch” from B&H (although it's not for sure, as don't really know how deep is their stock, and how frequently Ilford actually creates new runs where they update the date). But this fluctuation is very weird. Freestyle has had the same price since at least January.

Duolab123
5-Apr-2020, 17:24
I just watched the short film Behind the Scenes at Ilford again. I just think it's a wonderful little film. I hope everyone stays safe and rests up. I'm going to be needed Harmon products (God willing) for a long time to come.

Drew Wiley
5-Apr-2020, 17:28
The batch number has nothing to do with the price B&H paid unless they somehow bought that entire batch, which is unlikely. It's determined by the manufacturer's distribution arrangement. None of us know the actual costs or profit margins unless we work for one of the above. But supply and demand no doubt factors in.

jp
5-Apr-2020, 18:30
The batch number has nothing to do with the price B&H paid unless they somehow bought that entire batch, which is unlikely. It's determined by the manufacturer's distribution arrangement. None of us know the actual costs or profit margins unless we work for one of the above. But supply and demand no doubt factors in.

If we must speculate... Could well be that a batch had to be imported while the dollar was down: https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GBPUSD%3DX/?p=GBPUSD%3DX

Bob Salomon
5-Apr-2020, 19:06
If we must speculate... Could well be that a batch had to be imported while the dollar was down: https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GBPUSD%3DX/?p=GBPUSD%3DX

Importers usually buy futures when the exchange rate is in their favor and pay for purchases from those futures. It evens out exchange rate fluctuations so costs of purchases remain stable in their favor. The larger the importer the more in futures they can buy.

Duolab123
5-Apr-2020, 20:58
Could be that B&H isn't the only place to buy film.

Drew Wiley
6-Apr-2020, 18:00
I was about to note the same thing, Bob. The imported German machinery lines I sold were currency buffered for three years at a time. The notable exception, in this case Japanese, was the line of Nikon survey instruments. Unlike their cameras, this constituted a separate US division run differently, with no regard for currency fluctuations. It was an utter bellyflop despite the high product quality. Nobody was going to pay double just for the brand name; there we other excellent choices.

Roger Thoms
7-Apr-2020, 13:58
I own a Nikon builders level, don’t recall what I paid for it but it must have been reasonable at the time. Must have caught it when currency fluctuations were favorable. I am very pleased with the quality, it’s always a pleasure to use the instrument.

Roger