PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder Cameras

Wayne Crider
29-Mar-2020, 15:46
What seems like a long time ago I use to shoot a Super Graphic with a 135mm Optar. I actually became pretty efficient at handheld with it and could rattle shots off pretty quick if necessay, not they were all good, but it was fun, and I actually enjoyed the darkroom work just as much as shooting with it. Eventually I sold the Graphic for a lighter (?) MF system(s), sold out of those, and then went back to my begining with the lighter 35mm film cameras with a concurrent sojourn with a small Sony digital mirrorless. Now I'm back to wanting a 4x5 again. (Yes I'm crazy.) I still have my 4x5 darkroom equipment including many film holders, so I'm thinking of a rangefinder 4x5, no handholding pet se', no dark cloth and just one lens, and wanted ideas on the easier shooting models, meaning handholds besides tripod shooting. I'll be living up in the N. Georgia Mountains later this year and I think the 4x5 would be fun to use over a 35mm, and I could use the mirrorless for color.

Bob Salomon
29-Mar-2020, 17:33
Linhof Super Technika IV, V, Master Technika or Wista RF.

rfesk
29-Mar-2020, 17:45
What Bob said plus Crown Graphic or Busch Pressman. The Kalart side rangefinders allow you adjust them to work with any one lens from around a 90 to 210 or so.

Corran
29-Mar-2020, 22:24
Crown / Speed Graphic or other press cameras
Linhof Technika cameras
Converted Polaroid 900 / 110B (Chamonix Saber also on that platform)
Wista RF

Personally, if the one lens you wanted was usable on a Speed, that's what I'd go for. Alternatively, the Polaroid models have the only combined viewfinder/rangefinder which is pretty awesome, if you can find one spec'd how you want.

Welcome to N. GA, you are welcome to get to know some of the LF shooters up here as we meet semi-frequently to shoot, at least when there isn't a pandemic happening...

North Georgia Large Format Group (https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?146692-North-Georgia-Large-Format-Photographers-Group)

Oslolens
29-Mar-2020, 22:49
3D printed with focus for 58, 65,75 or 90mm

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

C. D. Keth
30-Mar-2020, 05:57
The Konica would be my choice. Beautifully made, excellent Hexanon lens and almost silent in operation. However for those venturing back into film, it could be an idea also to look at the non-RF quality 35mm cameras, which you zone focus. You would be surprised how few wrongly focussed shots you will get. The two that spring to mind are the Rollei 35 series and the Minox 35 series. The Minox is a bit smaller, lighter and “plasticky” but otherwise just as capable as the more sought after Rolleis, especially the expensive 35S. Compared with the rangefinders, the advantage is that these are small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, so will have them with you for that “decisive moment”.

I was unaware you could fit a sheet of 4x5 into a konica or a rollei 35 without crumpling it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew Bedo
30-Mar-2020, 07:21
Anyone have experience with one of the Polaroid 110 4x5 conversions?

Tin Can
30-Mar-2020, 07:27
Easy to do with paper cutter

I have cut sheet film to fit Hasselblad film holders

I was unaware you could fit a sheet of 4x5 into a konica or a rollei 35 without crumpling it up.

Corran
30-Mar-2020, 07:27
The Polaroid 900 I have is very similar to a 110B, with the only difference being the location of the focus knob.

Mine is equipped with a 135mm f/3.5 Xenotar lens. It's a bit short of a lens and if portraits is your thing, it's best used for full-body portraits or 3/4 with the Polaroid since it doesn't focus super close anyway.

As mentioned earlier, the RF and VF are combined which is a wonderful experience compared to the common Graphic or Linhof which has separate RF/VF, and it's even fully parallax corrected! Really a nice platform, with the only flaw being that the RF calibration, at least on mine, seems to be a bit touchy if you bang the camera around (but is easily adjusted). Note that the Polaroid 110A, in contrast, has split RF/VF so the 110B / 900 is the way to go IMO.

It's the smallest and lightest handheld 4x5 setup I have, with a few small drawbacks but a pretty fun camera. I used to shoot mine mostly with 3x4 pack film but since that died it hasn't seen a lot of use since I haven't shot handheld as much as I used to.

C. D. Keth
30-Mar-2020, 07:41
Easy to do with paper cutter

I have cut sheet film to fit Hasselblad film holders

You REALLY think somebody is going to cut sheets of film for a 35mm rangefinder? Come on.

I’m just being a smart as because somebody couldn’t be bothered to read the original post.

Tin Can
30-Mar-2020, 07:48
X-Ray film

You REALLY think somebody is going to cut sheets of film for a 35mm rangefinder? Come on.

I’m just being a smart as because somebody couldn’t be bothered to read the original post.

C. D. Keth
30-Mar-2020, 07:56
Again, are you seriously suggesting somebody cut x-ray film to be able to load a 35mm camera with a single exposure? That’s firmly in the category of “you could but why?”

Tin Can
30-Mar-2020, 08:26
Why not?

My Draft Age grandchildren could use my stock for the rest of their lives

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?157426-Time-to-get-Serious-about-DIY&p=1544438&viewfull=1#post1544438

Again, are you seriously suggesting somebody cut x-ray film to be able to load a 35mm camera with a single exposure? That’s firmly in the category of “you could but why?”

Tin Can
30-Mar-2020, 09:27
I will add, that was not my idea, but read it on Denise Ross fascinating website

http://www.thelightfarm.com/

Bill Poole
30-Mar-2020, 13:54
I use a Polaroid 900 converted by Alpenhaus, with a 150mm Fuji lens. I had to send it back once to get the RF adjusted, but since then it has worked well. The back will take Grafmatics, which I use, as opposed to holders. My assessment is that these cameras were originally set up for vertical use, portraits, with the focus knob falling naturally on the right side of the bed. Alpenhaus rigs a cable release to the left side of the camera for handholding, which kind of makes sense, but the camera was too heavy for me to use it comfortably handheld in this way, so I have jury-rigged one on the top right. I have also simply tripped the shutter by hand. That said, these are heavy cameras and I am happiest using mine on a tripod. If the primary goal is handholding (which the OP says not) then I would go with one of the Graphic or Bush cameras set up for this purpose. But if you want a strong camera with a rangefinder to use on a tripod, the 900 has worked well for me, Hope this helps.

EdSawyer
31-Mar-2020, 08:15
Chamonix Saber with 120mm apo-symmar is another option.

rdenney
31-Mar-2020, 08:41
I built a Speed Graphic with a top rangefinder that has the cam for a 127mm lens, and then modified it to add a Kalart rangefinder on the side, adjusted for an 8-1/2" Ilex Paragon. I think it might have worked, and Polaroids looked good, but when I had the opportunity to make photos using 4x5, the Sinar calls to me. Ditto the Travelwide, of which I have two (65 and 90mm), but, of course, no integrated rangefinder. I did, though, install supplemental rangefinders for those. Maybe with the lock-down, I'll pull some film out of the freezer and give it a go. With my past travel schedule, I've been very limited in what I can do.

Rick "who used a laser cat-toy to adjust the Kalart" Denney

C. D. Keth
31-Mar-2020, 11:28
Why not?

My Draft Age grandchildren could use my stock for the rest of their lives

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?157426-Time-to-get-Serious-about-DIY&p=1544438&viewfull=1#post1544438

I suppose you could if you really want to. I don't fancy spending my time cutting up film in the dark. I'll pay for that fancy new film that rolls up.

Tin Can
31-Mar-2020, 14:42
An influential book for me was a 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court' but I also like Asimov, 'Foundation Series'

I chose to be tinker a long time ago...no regrets

my real job is gadfly

ymmv

I suppose you could if you really want to. I don't fancy spending my time cutting up film in the dark. I'll pay for that fancy new film that rolls up.

PRJ
31-Mar-2020, 17:49
I built a 4x5 Polaroid conversion about 17 years ago. Made it from several different cameras. Basically it is a Polaroid 110b with a 135 Symmar and a Sinar back. I made it to have something portable and fast. And it works perfectly for that. I'd like to make another one someday and do it perfect. I built one for a friend that was perfect and I wish I had it myself. The one I have has been reworked a couple of times and even took a shot to the snout faceplanting on a windy day when it was blown over while sitting on a tripod. Still works though. I don't know why anyone would want to carry around a Linhof or a Speed Graphic. The Polaroid conversion is so much better. If you do one or get one done make sure the end is lopped off. Makes the camera waaaaay lighter.

Here is the camera-

http://www.patrickjames.net/lff/_DSC3892.JPG

Here is an image from it. No way I would have gotten this image without the Polaroid conversion. Light was disappearing.I needed to run back to the car, grab a camera then get back to the Saguaro. Just made it before the sun set. Did my best guesstimate on the exposure and shot it. Handheld... Not even a Grafmatic was fast enough to make a second exposure.

http://www.patrickjames.net/lff/Saguaro4a.jpg

Bob Salomon
31-Mar-2020, 18:15
I built a 4x5 Polaroid conversion about 17 years ago. Made it from several different cameras. Basically it is a Polaroid 110b with a 135 Symmar and a Sinar back. I made it to have something portable and fast. And it works perfectly for that. I'd like to make another one someday and do it perfect. I built one for a friend that was perfect and I wish I had it myself. The one I have has been reworked a couple of times and even took a shot to the snout faceplanting on a windy day when it was blown over while sitting on a tripod. Still works though. I don't know why anyone would want to carry around a Linhof or a Speed Graphic. The Polaroid conversion is so much better. If you do one or get one done make sure the end is lopped off. Makes the camera waaaaay lighter.

Here is the camera-

Here is an image from it. No way I would have gotten this image without the Polaroid conversion. Light was disappearing.I needed to run back to the car, grab a camera then get back to the Saguaro. Just made it before the sun set. Did my best guesstimate on the exposure and shot it. Handheld... Not even a Grafmatic was fast enough to make a second exposure.

Maybe they want to use wider and longer lenses, or do macro work, or do all of that. Maybe that want control over Scheimpflug or image shape when not hand holding.

Bob Salomon
31-Mar-2020, 18:16

Here is the camera-

Maybe they want to use wider and longer lenses, or do macro work, or do all of that. Maybe that want control over Scheimpflug or image shape when not hand holding.

And maybe they don’t want that fall off in the corners.

PRJ
31-Mar-2020, 18:54

And maybe they don’t want that fall off in the corners.

You don't read so good so much, do you Bob? The OP wants something to use in the mountains, with one lens, and wants to be able to handhold it.

You really are one of the worst wet diapers around here. Everything you post is an argument about some stupid thing or another.

Bob Salomon
31-Mar-2020, 19:02
You don't read so good so much, do you Bob? The OP wants something to use in the mountains, with one lens, and wants to be able to handhold it.

You really are one of the worst wet diapers around here. Everything you post is an argument about some stupid thing or another.

You ever look at Arizona Highways?

You ever see all those handheld sports pictures like Ty Cobb slinging into third or Jackie Robinson stealing home or new photos like Weegee’s? All hand held large format.

And, if you look at the corner fall off in your shot you really don’t have a useable 45 image even though your lens more then covers 45.

Drew Bedo
1-Apr-2020, 06:25
So then, Does a Polaroid 4x5 conversion fill the needs of the zOP?

PRJ
1-Apr-2020, 10:00
You ever look at Arizona Highways?

You ever see all those handheld sports pictures like Ty Cobb slinging into third or Jackie Robinson stealing home or new photos like Weegee’s? All hand held large format.

And, if you look at the corner fall off in your shot you really don’t have a useable 45 image even though your lens more then covers 45.

You still don't read so good so much, do you Bob? Or maybe it is just comprehension.

What people did 50 years ago is irrelevant if there are better ways today. Maybe you just don't get it.

The camera doesn't vignette. When I first started using it I had a hood that just nipped the corners. Here is an image that I took years later with the same camera.

Like I said, you are just a wet diaper around here. Can't accept anything that you don't know and you just continue to argue about mundane garbage.

http://www.patrickjames.net/lff/2016-018-02_ps_cc3.jpg

Bob Salomon
1-Apr-2020, 10:39
You still don't read so good so much, do you Bob? Or maybe it is just comprehension.

What people did 50 years ago is irrelevant if there are better ways today. Maybe you just don't get it.

The camera doesn't vignette. When I first started using it I had a hood that just nipped the corners. Here is an image that I took years later with the same camera.

Like I said, you are just a wet diaper around here. Can't accept anything that you don't know and you just continue to argue about mundane garbage.

http://www.patrickjames.net/lff/2016-018-02_ps_cc3.jpg

So, why did you post a vignette image as an example?

Did you read and understand what the op wrote?

“ Now I'm back to wanting a 4x5 again. (Yes I'm crazy.) I still have my 4x5 darkroom equipment including many film holders, so I'm thinking of a rangefinder 4x5, no handholding pet se'”

“No handholding”

So why even suggest your choice?

How do you know that he doesn’t want a 150 or 180 or 210 rather then a short normal?
How do you know that he might prefer a wide lens rather then a short normal?

It’s great that you like your conversion. But the vast majority of 45 users and the vast majority of serious hand held shooters don’t prefer your choice. Primarily because it is a very limited type of camera with a quickly diminishing parts supply that is usually put together by a limited group of builders at an astonishingly high price for what it doesn’t offer.
But if it fits your needs then enjoy it.

There are far more versatile choices available.

jnantz
1-Apr-2020, 16:21
Hi Wayne

Years ago Bostick and Sullivan made something called a HOBO, you could hand hold it if you wanted or throw it on a tripod.
I think it came with 1 lens, was pretty bare-bonz.... [both 5x4 and 8x10] its not a RF but still, maybe it is similar to what you want? unless you need a technical field camera
and a speeder or polo-conversion doesn't work.

Good luck with your quest !
John

Corran
1-Apr-2020, 17:01
[...] at an astonishingly high price for what it doesn’t offer.

LOL

http://www.esearing.com/Bryan/AV/photosharing/linhofmtprice2020.jpg

I see the MT has gone up in price about $3K.

OP has disappeared, but if you come back, I suggest you take a look at the Polaroid conversions closely. Listen to those that actually use the camera (and are active LF shooters), not ex-dealers. It may not work for you, but it may be just what you need.

The combined VF/RF is a better experience than my Linhof MT...

Bob Salomon
1-Apr-2020, 17:15
LOL

OP has disappeared, but if you come back, I suggest you take a look at the Polaroid conversions closely. Listen to those that actually use the camera (and are active LF shooters), not ex-dealers. It may not work for you, but it may be just what you need.

Then try the Wista RF.

It’s whatever suits ones needs.

Willie
2-Apr-2020, 07:01
What seems like a long time ago I use to shoot a Super Graphic with a 135mm Optar. I actually became pretty efficient at handheld with it and could rattle shots off pretty quick if necessay, not they were all good, but it was fun, and I actually enjoyed the darkroom work just as much as shooting with it. Eventually I sold the Graphic for a lighter (?) MF system(s), sold out of those, and then went back to my begining with the lighter 35mm film cameras with a concurrent sojourn with a small Sony digital mirrorless. Now I'm back to wanting a 4x5 again. (Yes I'm crazy.) I still have my 4x5 darkroom equipment including many film holders, so I'm thinking of a rangefinder 4x5, no handholding pet se', no dark cloth and just one lens, and wanted ideas on the easier shooting models, meaning handholds besides tripod shooting. I'll be living up in the N. Georgia Mountains later this year and I think the 4x5 would be fun to use over a 35mm, and I could use the mirrorless for color.

The Technikas and such are Mirrorless...

Jody_S
2-Apr-2020, 19:23
The absolute nicest rangefinder camera I've ever used, any format, was the Kalart Press camera with the built-in focuspot. Unfortunately it only came in 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 (?). I would take one of those over the Leica M2 I used for a couple of years.

Wayne Crider
10-Apr-2020, 03:03
Beautiful! I've got to look into this idea some more.

Wayne Crider
10-Apr-2020, 03:05
Hi Wayne

Years ago Bostick and Sullivan made something called a HOBO, you could hand hold it if you wanted or throw it on a tripod.
I think it came with 1 lens, was pretty bare-bonz.... [both 5x4 and 8x10] its not a RF but still, maybe it is similar to what you want? unless you need a technical field camera
and a speeder or polo-conversion doesn't work.

Good luck with your quest !
John

Yeah I remember that now.. Another to look into. Thanks

Wayne Crider
10-Apr-2020, 03:13

Here is the camera-

J
Beautiful! I roamed all over AZ with my Super G and am going to look into these conversions.

Wayne Crider
10-Apr-2020, 03:30
The absolute nicest rangefinder camera I've ever used, any format, was the Kalart Press camera with the built-in focuspot. Unfortunately it only came in 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 (?). I would take one of those over the Leica M2 I used for a couple of years.

I shot a 3x4 for awhile as well as a 2-1/4 x 3-1/4. I actually still have film holders for both. I also shot a RB IN 3X4 which was a nice camera but the low angle was not my style. I was lucky to get one with good speeds tho. Fun cameras all but I love the bigger neg, even tho that Poloroid conversion is tempting if I could make one.

slerman
10-Apr-2020, 06:05
PRJ, I did several conversions of Polaroid 110s following "Option8's" guide, https://www.instantoptions.com/how-to/. My cameras are set up to shoot pack film, but assume the process is similar for a 4x5 film back. These cameras and their images are simply stunning!
202453 202455

Keytarjunkie
17-Apr-2020, 13:54
I built a Polaroid conversion about eight years ago, but ultimately did not enjoy using it. I believe the medium format competition is better - what they lack in image size, they make up for in handling and operational speed. Mamiya 7, Makina 67, Fuji GF670 and GW series are much better cameras for this style of shooting, in my opinion. I have never used a Chamonix Saber but would really like to.

I got rid of the anatomical grip for my Linhof Tech V, but added a hand strap and kept the rangefinder and viewfinder. I usually want to be more meticulous in composition with this camera but it's nice to have the option of handheld shooting.

PRJ
17-Apr-2020, 16:43
LOL

I am just seeing this thread again after these couple of weeks and this cracks me up...

I spent around $300 to do my friends conversion. Mine was far less since I used parts from a few cheap cameras, so maybe a hundred bucks?

Bob just has no clue....

PRJ
17-Apr-2020, 17:02
PRJ, I did several conversions of Polaroid 110s following "Option8's" guide, https://www.instantoptions.com/how-to/. My cameras are set up to shoot pack film, but assume the process is similar for a 4x5 film back. These cameras and their images are simply stunning!
202453 202455

Looks like you did a heck of a good job on that!

I built my cameras at the worst times. The first one I built was a Polaroid 250 with a Schneider lens to shoot 665. Then 665 was discontinued. So I upsized. Then 55 disappeared too...

If you've made one with a Polaroid back, all you have to do is attach a 4x5 back (centered of course) to the Polaroid back and adjust the lens backwards. It is pretty simple to do but takes a lot of time to get it all right. I'd encourage you to do it. You can still shoot Polaroid peel apart film with a Polaroid back. The camera looks kind of funny with a second Polaroid back on it though. I used a Sinar back on the ones I built but they have to be machined so you probably wouldn't want to go that route. I think a Horseman back would work.

Put a Grafmatic back on it and go to town. Easy peasy!

Bob Salomon
17-Apr-2020, 17:14
I am just seeing this thread again after these couple of weeks and this cracks me up...

I spent around $300 to do my friends conversion. Mine was far less since I used parts from a few cheap cameras, so maybe a hundred bucks?

Bob just has no clue....

Maybe I do have a clue. I sold the 110a and b and the 180 when they were new.

Sal Santamaura
18-Apr-2020, 07:47
...What people did 50 years ago is irrelevant if there are better ways today...

"Better ways" like using digital cameras rather than large format film? I hadn't previously looked at this thread. It was worth doing so today just to savor the irony deficiency embodied in that quote. :)

rmdorman
12-May-2020, 19:20
The beseler c6 has a great rangefinder with multiple built in cams (90, 135, 250) and a focal plane shutter to boot. https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/American/beseler%201.html