PDA

View Full Version : Choice for new 210 lens for 4x5

PatrickMarq
29-Mar-2020, 02:18
I have following lenses: 90mm, 150mm, 300mm. A 210mm would fill the gap between 150 an 300.

Now the shop not far from where I live has following models:
210/5.6 Sironar-S
210/5.6 Nikon-W
210/5.6 Sironar-N MC

The prices of the lenses are all somehow in the same price range.
What would you recommend ?

Patrick

John Layton
29-Mar-2020, 04:30
I've stood by my trusty Sironar-N MC (for both 4x5 and 5x7) since I got it new as a "dealer's special" back in the late 1980's (from who...Art Doxer - or maybe even Bob?). At any rate, I've never truly felt the need to move to anything else, even as I've lately been printing very large (up to 40x60). Furthermore, I believe that the design of this lens is slightly more biased towards a bit closer focus distance than is the Sironar-S - which, for my uses, makes it a bit more useful overall. I also figure that atmospheric conditions could render the "S" version's small bit of extra resolution at longer distances moot. Plus, I often shoot at or near diffraction-limited apertures anyway. I also like the fact that the 67mm filter size is compatible with my 90mm and 305mm lenses (Grandagon and G-Claron).

Having said the above...if I did feel compelled to change things up, and if I could swing the $$...I would take a very serious look at the Sironar-S. From everything I've heard and read about this lens - it sounds amazing!

Edit...just noticed that you'd mentioned "all in the same price range." Is the Sironar S in as good condition as the other two? If so, it might be a bargain!

Bob Salomon
29-Mar-2020, 05:17
I've stood by my trusty Sironar-N MC (for both 4x5 and 5x7) since I got it new as a "dealer's special" back in the late 1980's (from who...Art Doxer - or maybe even Bob?). At any rate, I've never truly felt the need to move to anything else, even as I've lately been printing very large (up to 40x60). Furthermore, I believe that the design of this lens is slightly more biased towards a bit closer focus distance than is the Sironar-S - which, for my uses, makes it a bit more useful overall. I also figure that atmospheric conditions could render the "S" version's small bit of extra resolution at longer distances moot. Plus, I often shoot at or near diffraction-limited apertures anyway. I also like the fact that the 67mm filter size is compatible with my 90mm and 305mm lenses (Grandagon and G-Claron).

Having said the above...if I did feel compelled to change things up, and if I could swing the $$...I would take a very serious look at the Sironar-S. From everything I've heard and read about this lens - it sounds amazing!

Edit...just noticed that you'd mentioned "all in the same price range." Is the Sironar S in as good condition as the other two? If so, it might be a bargain!

Probably from Arthur as he was my rep in NE.

The Apo Sironar S, there has never been a Sironar S, was corrected for 1:10 giving optimal performance from 1:5 to infinity.
The Apo Sironar N was corrected for 1:20 giving optimal performance from 1:10 to infinity.

So the S performs better at closer range, as well at infinity.

All of the Apo Sironar series lenses were MC.

The Apo Sironar N MC was replaced by the APO Sironar N.

So, is the dealer selling the Sinaron S or the Apo Sironar S? Two different lenses!
Is he selling the Apo Sironar N or the Sironar N MC? Two different, but similar lenses.

John Layton
29-Mar-2020, 08:05
Bob...I stand corrected - thanks!

And FYI...I worked at the Camera Shop in Hanover, NH, from 1980-85, selling photo gear, handling repairs, and writing advertising. Decent gig during what were still the good old days!

PatrickMarq
29-Mar-2020, 08:35
Bob,
As I can see from his website, the lenses have no ‘Apo’ in the name, other lenses have it sometimes. So I gues Sironar-N MC.

210/5.6 Sironar-S -> 499Eur
210/5.6 Nikon-W -> 359Eur
210/5.6 Sironar-N MC -> 349Eur
All have the same condition.

Kiwi7475
29-Mar-2020, 08:40
At that price I’d jump on the Sironar S, all things being equal.

Oslolens
29-Mar-2020, 08:48
The Sinaron-S is a Sironar-N which had an extra quality check before shipping. Most valuable when new in my view. Check out the filter diameter. The Nikkor-w came with 77 and 67mm. 77mm is better for 8x10" when adding filters.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Bob Salomon
29-Mar-2020, 08:53
Bob...I stand corrected - thanks!

And FYI...I worked at the Camera Shop in Hanover, NH, from 1980-85, selling photo gear, handling repairs, and writing advertising. Decent gig during what were still the good old days!

You probably got it from Art and I would have signed off on an employee purchase.

Bob Salomon
29-Mar-2020, 08:56
Bob,
As I can see from his website, the lenses have no ‘Apo’ in the name, other lenses have it sometimes. So I gues Sironar-N MC.

210/5.6 Sironar-S -> 499Eur
210/5.6 Nikon-W -> 359Eur
210/5.6 Sironar-N MC -> 349Eur
All have the same condition.

Ask him to show you a picture of the lens barrel. The Apo Sironar N and the Apo Sironar S have a colored stripe around the barrel. The Apo N silver and the Apo S red.

Roberto Nania
31-Mar-2020, 08:00
Hello Patrik,

I have a Sironar-N MC 210/5.6 that I use mainly for portraits. I love it, I can say it is a very good lens.
I used it many times at full aperture on Ilford FP4 and I'm very happy with the results.

JMO
31-Mar-2020, 08:32
Patrick, The APO Sironar S that has been recommended above is excellent in my experience, but it comes with a bit of a size and weight tariff. In case size and weight might be an important consideration for you, you should consider the Nikkor M 200/f8 which is tiny (takes 52mm filters) and light (180gr). It only has a 210mm image circle (adequate for 4x5), and is a bit hard to find used and in VG/EX condition - but if you're a backpacker who needs to go small and light it should be worth consideration. In perusing some of John Sexton's books I've noticed that he has used the Nikkor M 200 for many of his featured landscape images over the years.

Bernice Loui
31-Mar-2020, 09:40
What are your print image goals?
There have been many, many, many 210mm _ 8-1/2" focal length view camera lenses designed-produced for many decades.
It is the print image goals that should determine which specific lens type might be more ideal for these needs.

Bernice

A 210mm would fill the gap between 150 an 300.

Now the shop not far from where I live has following models:
210/5.6 Sironar-S
210/5.6 Nikon-W
210/5.6 Sironar-N MC

The prices of the lenses are all somehow in the same price range.
What would you recommend ?

Patrick