PDA

View Full Version : Mailing exposed 4x5 film to lab for developing

Alan Klein
27-Mar-2020, 12:24
Has anyone Used the Delta Paper Safe-T Bags to mail their film to be processed? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/15808-REG/Delta_13510_Light_Tight_Safe_T_Bags_with.html/reviews

How do you package if you don't have a full box and just want to mail out a few 4x5 sheets to get developed? What tape will seal it? Any other recommendations?

Kiwi7475
27-Mar-2020, 13:04
Use a film box, taping around the edges or with a rubber band so that it doesn’t open. You should get the box back (ask them to).
If you don’t have an empty box maybe you can consolidate the remaining of one into a new box while the other one comes back.

It’s not just light right but also gives some structural strength to the package.

LabRat
27-Mar-2020, 13:06
Film boxes... Leaves no question for the lab on how to handle it...

Ask the lab if they have some they can send you (they usually have them)... And ask the lab if there is any other way they prefer that the film is sent to them (but boxes are standard)...

Some films now come in an outer box with a bag inside, but the boxes with the inner lid are preferred, as one sheet can be removed without disturbing the light seal when re-closed...

Steve K

Two23
27-Mar-2020, 13:59
Agree with Steve above.

Kent in SD

Roger Thoms
27-Mar-2020, 14:06
Film box, and if you don't have any empty film boxes pm my and I can send you a couple.

Roger

Alan Klein
27-Mar-2020, 20:25
Thanks everyone. Thanks Roger for the offer. I should be OK with the original box I have.

Two23
27-Mar-2020, 20:44
Thanks everyone. Thanks Roger for the offer. I should be OK with the original box I have.

Stick a note on the box, "OPEN DARK, unprocessed film."

Kent in SD

jtomasella
28-Mar-2020, 09:21
Use a film box, taping around the edges or with a rubber band so that it doesn’t open. You should get the box back (ask them to).
If you don’t have an empty box maybe you can consolidate the remaining of one into a new box while the other one comes back.

It’s not just light right but also gives some structural strength to the package.

This is what I did when I sent some Ektar to the Darkroom. I put a note on the box that I wanted it back, I got the box and the note back.

Roger Thoms
28-Mar-2020, 10:01
Yes definitely tell them you want your box back. I also put my name on the box. Finally make sure you secure the box. I use tape and rubber bands.

Roger

Alan Klein
28-Mar-2020, 20:24
A kind of morbid question. With coronavirus going around, how would you handle that with package and handling going on at the developer and thru the shipping services? How do you disinfect processed film?

LabRat
28-Mar-2020, 20:50
A kind of morbid question. With coronavirus going around, how would you handle that with package and handling going on at the developer and thru the shipping services? How do you disinfect processed film?

Let it sit for a week or so if you are worried... It dies, usually sooner...

Steve K