PDA

View Full Version : What lens? Or lenses?

Capocheny
15-Dec-2005, 22:53
Greetings,

Details:

Deardorff 4x5/5x7 Field camera
Bellows Length: 21 - 22 inches

Question: What lense(s) would you use with this camera out of a choice of the following? Why and why not?

1. 210 f5.6
2. 240 f5.6 Symmar-S
3. 360 f6.8 Symmar-S

Bear in mind that the 240 and the 360 are mounted in Copal 3 shutters. For the time being, please ignore the idea of weight wrt to the 360. :)

Types of photography: Landscapes, Still-lifes (up to 1:1)

Thanks in advance for any comments...

Cheers

John Kasaian
15-Dec-2005, 23:35
I think the 210 would be the most useful. You'd probably have the bellows for 1:1 and a lighter lens is always appreciated if any hiking is involved. In 4x5 it might be all the lens you'll ever need unless you contract eBay-itis or something. The other lenses you mentioned could certainly be used---you might even prefer them when shooting 5x7 film. A healthy 'dorff 's front standards can certainly handle the wieght but I'd be concerned about having enough bellows extension for 1:1

Cheers!

lee\c
16-Dec-2005, 07:49
I own a Deardorff like the one mentioned. The 240 Sironar lens I use with it is great but I have to be careful with the front rise and tilt because it is on the same threads. The heavier lens tends to make the lens droop a bit downward but I am careful to lock the front standard down. I am aware of this and watch for it. I would prefer a g claron 210 in a copal #1 rather than the 240 which I use on my 8x10.

leec

yo soy horsedooty!

Capocheny
16-Dec-2005, 15:11
Hi John, Lee,

Thank you both for your input... so, it seems the 210 is the preferred lens for this camera. And, at the end of the day, the slight difference in working distance between the two isn't all that significant.

However, there is a bit more coverage for 5x7 with the Symmar-S 240 (337) versus the Sironar-N 210 (286). But, the weight is quite a bit different between the two lenses.

[Unfortunately, I can't do a comparison of the 2 since the 240 is mounted on a Sinar board and I don't have a Copal 3 Technika board on hand at the moment.]

As for the 360, it has the most coverage but it's a mighty big beast! So, if Lee is experiencing droop with the 240... that kills off the idea of using the 360! And, I would think the bellows length would severely hamper the capapbility of this lens for table-top shooting (at 1:1.)

Lee,

Do you do much shooting with regards to close-ups (approx 1:1) with your 240? Do you find the bellows length a bit restrictive under such conditions?

I believe the 210 G-Claron is an f9.0, isn't it? And, if I'm not mistaken... doesn't it have a little less coverage than the 210 Sironar-S?

I'll keep in mind your experience with the 240 droop on this camera... in some ways, I wish the Dorff had similar controls to the Ebony. It would make things a bit easier but I suppose it's just "a learning curve issue in getting use to working with the single lock-down" system. :)

Thanks again.

Cheers

John Kasaian
16-Dec-2005, 16:46
Henry,

I'd suggest taking a look at a 240mm G Claron. It has plenty of coverage for an 8x10 so 5x7 is no sweat. It also fits into a #1 shutter and seems to be the least expensive of the G-Clarons---maybe they made more of that focal length? I don't know. If you have 24" of bellows I think it should give you 1:1.

Good Luck!

Capocheny
17-Dec-2005, 05:19
Hi John,

Thanks for the recommendation... I'll look for one of those 240 G-Clarons then.

Having just gotten the 4x5/5x7 Dorff recently and trying it out this evening for the first time (shooting still lifes of a single orchid)... I must say it works entirely different than the Sinar X system that I've been shooting with over the past few years. I think it'll take me a little while to get use to using the Dorff. :)

As a long time Dorff user, John, any beginner's hints? :)

Cheers

Victor Samou Wong
17-Dec-2005, 14:28
ebay-itis..... ohhh... the mere thought gives me shivers in my wallet.

You know the lens overviews on this site really are excellent, they'll probably be able to point you in the right direction. However, I bet that a positive review here means a price jump on epay. The other thing that you might want to do is to figure out what focal lengths that you used in your previous format. Then convert them to 8x10 focal lengths.

I just did this for my little 4x5 camera, so now I have a

100mm f6.3 wf ektar (coming) which is my wide, not super cheesy wide I guess... sigh...
127mm f4,5 graflex yellow dot optar, which is my 'normal' even though really, it isn't that normal.
240mm f9 rodenstock apo-ronar. (coming), tele.

Theoretically after this I'll never have to buy lenses ever again (crosses fingers). Lies I know....

Cheers