PDA

View Full Version : DIY Lens Board for Zone VI, type II 5x7 enlarger

denverjims
22-Mar-2020, 15:01
I recently moved to 5x7 after I got a Zone VI, Type II 5x7 enlarger (with the help of my friend Tom). But, it only came with 2 lens boards. Since I have negatives in 35mm, 6x7, 4x5 and, now 5x7; and the lenses I have for each format have different diameters, I felt I needed 2 more. After posting here for more, without avail, I decided to try to see if I could do a DIY build.

I don’t have a machine shop so was looking to do this with limited machine tools. This became possible when I found an outfit on eBay which was selling 5 1/4” circular aluminum disks of 1/16” thickness. Link:https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-0625-Aluminum-Disc-x-5-25-Diameter-5052-Aluminum-Circle-Round/202063196902. They sell almost a perfect match to the original Zone VI lens boards I had. Just slightly thicker at 1/16".

With them, all I pretty much needed was a hand drill, a small (1/2” wide) flat file; and some emery cloth (sand paper for metal); and paint.

Process related to pictures:

1. Trace needed cut outs from the original to the blank.

2. Drill larger end of mounting screw cut out with 3/8” bit; smaller end of mounting screw cutout and holes for lens adjustment with 3/16” bit. Use small flat file to connect and shape large and small mounting screw cut out holes. (Note: duct tape visible held 2 disks together so I only had to drill once.)

3. Use a bi-metal hole saw (for aluminum) of the appropriate diameter for the lens. In the example case I used a 2” for the Schneider Componon-S 180 which allowed for its 50mm diameter.

4. Sand it smooth on both sides. Mount lens ring with small screws.

5. Paint w/ flat matte metal paint (the kind for aluminum patio furniture worked great).

Done!

(Now the confession: While the barrel of the lens fit through, the lens ring had a ridge of a slightly larger diameter than I had figured so another friend, Keith, volunteered to open the center hole out some without me having to buy another hole saw (2 1/8” would have done it). He also used his circular sander instead of manual sandpaper to burnish and smooth it out. But I COULD have done it myself. :))
Best, Jim

201914 201915 201916201917

denverjims
22-Mar-2020, 15:03
Final product painted flat black next to original Zone VI board. Ready to mount lens and put on enlarger.

Tin Can
22-Mar-2020, 15:10
Very good!