PDA

View Full Version : 105mm f/5.6 Nikkor-W coverage

Emre Yildirim
15-Dec-2005, 14:35
I just ordered this lens from KEH yesterday, and today noticed that its image circle is only 155mm. Will it cover 4x5? Anyone using this particular lens? I doubt I will need much movements. What's the minimum coverage for 4x5? is it 150mm or 155mm? There are several websites out there that say both.

Michael Gudzinowicz
15-Dec-2005, 15:07
It will probably just cover when stopped down providing there isn't mechanical vignetting from the cells. I do have old 105 Tessars and Kodak lenses that cover, however, I never paid more than $5 for one. If you want a general purpose lens in that focal length, consider asking KEH to exchange it for the Fujinon 105 SW listed on their site. It has a circle of 250 mm and good movements on 5x7. The $125 difference in price is reasonable since you'll get a full range of movement and not be limited to a box camera with rear tilts.

Joseph O'Neil
15-Dec-2005, 15:17
I've always gone with 155 to 160mm to be safe for 4x5 coverage, sans movements. As suggest in the message above, might just cover 4x5 when stopped down, but little to no movments.

Also, a second vote for exchanging for a Fujinon 105mm. however, in my case, I vote for the CMW 105mm as opposed to the SW version. I just bought this lens this past summer and am very happy with it.

The CMW is less money than the SW version, physically smaller in size (great for backpacking), and is a F5.6 as opposed to a F8. It's main drawback is the image circle is not large enough for 5x7. but covers 4x5 with room for movements. Web sites say it has a circle of 175mm, but I find stopped down, that estimate is a wee bit conservative.

See if you can change it. I think you'll be very happy with the Fujinon 105mm. I've loved Nikon gear in all formats, but nothing wrong with Fujinon either. :)

joe

Emre Yildirim
15-Dec-2005, 16:21
I will definitely be using this lens in the f/16 - 22 range. Would that cover 4x5? I guess I'll have to test it out when it gets here.

I was considering the f/8's, however I find those hard to focus with. The Fujinons listed on KEH's site are all in "Bargain" condition, and I usually try to stay away from that.

By the way, is there a site that has technical specs/information for LF Nikkor lenses?

Nick_3536
15-Dec-2005, 16:43
Nikon Europe is the only place I know of with Nikon LF specs. At least offical specs.

KEH bargain is equal to Ebay mint. Maybe a little better-)

Emre Yildirim
15-Dec-2005, 16:54
Thanks! I found the info I need at

http://www.europe-nikon.com/specifications.aspx?countryid=20&languageid=22&prodId=508&catId=149

Looks like this lens is useless at wide open. I might have to start shooting at f/32 :(

Wayne Crider
15-Dec-2005, 18:06
You can return it. Just tell them the problem and see if there is another lens that would suit your purpose.

Emre Yildirim
15-Dec-2005, 18:13
Ah...another question.

So if the coverage is 121mm at wide open, does that mean that there will be a lot of light fall off on the edges? I could use that for artistic purposes maybe...

Wilbur Wong
16-Dec-2005, 07:46
In my 1989 Nikon catalog the 105 is the smallest coverage of all of their lf lens lines. It is 6 elements 4 groups - covers 60 degrees or 121 mm circle at 5.6. At f 22, it is 73 degrees with a 155mm image circle which is just a mm or 2 short of 4 x 5 film corners, but presumeably within the image area of a film holder. In other words, there would be virtually no movement available for 4 x 5, probably excellent for a roll film back.