PDA

View Full Version : Filters for 8x10

jeffsweet
17-Mar-2020, 15:28
Hi there! I have no doubt this has been discussed somewhere here before, but I didn't find anything in my search.

I have a cheapo Cokin set I'd been using on my Intrepid 4x5, but recently upgraded to an Calumet C-1 8x10, and thought I might invest in a higher quality filter set that'll work on my Black Beast. Any recommendations?

An additional hurdle is that my lens is an Ilex-Calumet Caltar 375mm f/6.3, which doesn't have any filter threads. Any advice for dealing with a lens without threads? Can I just hold the filter up to the lens by hand...?

Appreciate any advice you might have!

-Jeff

Oslolens
17-Mar-2020, 15:46
Glue on a filter adapter or as I would have done, 3D-print a filter ring to be pressed on. I seldom use filter, I usually need all the light I can get.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

C. D. Keth
17-Mar-2020, 15:47
Your current filters will be fine on 8x10.

You don't really want to just hold filters by hand. If you're touching the lens barrel you will probably be moving slightly, blurring your photo and scratching your filter. If you aren't touching the lens barrel, you might get weird reflections off the rear of the filter.

My solution to a lens without threads is here: https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?157171-Cheap-press-on-filter-thread-adapter

Two23
17-Mar-2020, 15:48
I have circular glass filters. Mostly use in this order: orange, red, polarizer, yellow, green. (I only shoot b&w.) If the filter won't screw in I simply hold it front of the lens with my hand. I've been known to tape it in place too.

Kent in SD

Drew Wiley
17-Mar-2020, 20:52
slip-on threaded adapters can be either improvised or custom made. I'm a strong advocate for coated glass filters. They stay cleaner, have less flare, last longer. Might as well get high quality. You don't really need that many. What's the point of using more expensive larger film if you're compromising the image in some other manner?

Two23
17-Mar-2020, 21:18
I too only buy multicoated filters. Generally find good used ones on Ebay.

Kent in SD

Robert Opheim
17-Mar-2020, 21:28
I also have a Calumet C-1 Black Beast. I standardized on 67mm glass filters for all but one lens. I agree with Drew above. There are slip on and clamp on filter holders often for series filters that can use and adapter to metric filters - or just use series filters. I use both. Once you set up the C-1 on a good tripod it does not move.

jeffsweet
18-Mar-2020, 09:48
Thanks for all of the advice! (And thank you for relocating the thread to the correct location! :))

I'll take a look at piecing together a slip-on holder. Since I'll mainly be shooting 8x10 with x-ray film due to price, I wanted to have at least some way of taming skies/clouds just a bit. Usually when I shoot landscapes, I gravitate towards using red filters because it's a look I really enjoy, so using orthochromatic film has been quite a change.

Jim Noel
18-Mar-2020, 12:43
Thanks for all of the advice! (And thank you for relocating the thread to the correct location! :))

I'll take a look at piecing together a slip-on holder. Since I'll mainly be shooting 8x10 with x-ray film due to price, I wanted to have at least some way of taming skies/clouds just a bit. Usually when I shoot landscapes, I gravitate towards using red filters because it's a look I really enjoy, so using orthochromatic film has been quite a change.

WIth x-ray film your red and orange filters are useless. Migrate toward yellow for general use. I use wratten #8 most often.

jeffsweet
19-Mar-2020, 06:53
WIth x-ray film your red and orange filters are useless. Migrate toward yellow for general use. I use wratten #8 most often.

Yeah, I figured red certainly would be out of the question. But at least a yellow and maybe a GND might help a tad when shooting outdoors.

C. D. Keth
19-Mar-2020, 07:43
Yeah, I figured red certainly would be out of the question. But at least a yellow and maybe a GND might help a tad when shooting outdoors.

A POLA would often be helpful to reign in sky exposure.

Drew Wiley
19-Mar-2020, 09:17
If it's an ortho emulsion, a deep green filter can be used to darken blue skies, while brightening greens themselves. But exposures might be slower than usual because some ortho films are mostly blue sensitive, and only some green. I'm unfamiliar with the one in question.

jeffsweet
24-Mar-2020, 14:25
If it's an ortho emulsion, a deep green filter can be used to darken blue skies, while brightening greens themselves. But exposures might be slower than usual because some ortho films are mostly blue sensitive, and only some green. I'm unfamiliar with the one in question.

Sounds like that might do the trick! It's Fujifilm HR-U (or HR-T? The labeling seems conflicted) Medium Green. Developed in Diafine, I've gotten good results rating it at 200 in daylight.

Slowing the exposure down a bit could be useful... the shutter on my only 8x10 lens just goes up to 1/50 which has made it tricky at times to use a wider aperture in daylight. I suppose I could use a different developer, but I've grown rather fond of Diafine and will stick with it for a bit longer I think.