PDA

View Full Version : Film availability in India?

Ulophot
13-Mar-2020, 07:14
A few company colleagues in India indicate that film and processing are hard to come by there, and my initial check seems to confirm this. And, I saw a price for a roll of 135-36 Kodak color neg just shy of $9. Film from the online giants is reportedly also expensive. It would appear that the film rebound we see in the US and Europe is yet to find its way to that part of the world.

Anyone have a reading on what films and formats may be available and where? Or, perhaps, in Australia?

B.S.Kumar
13-Mar-2020, 15:56
Which format? It is very difficult to find film in India now, though 35mm might be easier. If you indicate where you intend traveling, I can tell you which shops might have stocks. I have regular customers in India and Australia for Fuji film, so that is also an option.

Kumar

Exploring Large Format
13-Mar-2020, 16:45
Which format? It is very difficult to find film in India now, though 35mm might be easier. If you indicate where you intend traveling, I can tell you which shops might have stocks. I have regular customers in India and Australia for Fuji film, so that is also an option.

Kumar

I'd be very interested in B&W 4X5 availability in Bangalore. Our early April trip to visit my wife's folks is cancelled due to virus issues. As they are aging, it's troubling. But we will go when we can, and I'd love to capture them on 4x5! I've traveled many times there--amazing country and people!--the last couple of years carrying Instant film in my carry-on. Very challenging to prevent multiple X-Ray exposures to film I've found. Thanks!

B.S.Kumar
13-Mar-2020, 16:55
4x5 is difficult in India. But let me confirm.
I used to ship Acros regularly to India, but FP4 and TMax were available in the metros.

Kumar

Exploring Large Format
13-Mar-2020, 17:13
4x5 is difficult in India. But let me confirm.
I used to ship Acros regularly to India, but FP4 and TMax were available in the metros.

KumarGot it. and if I shipped film ahead to my inlaws, it should be ok, yes? No destructive scans?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

B.S.Kumar
13-Mar-2020, 17:27
If you ship the film, customs duty will have to be paid, so you should factor that into the cost. None of my customers have reported any issues with X-ray scanning.

If you carry the film yourself, there will be no question of duty, unless you are carrying a very large quantity. It is possible to ask for hand checking, making sure to get to the airport well in time and being polite.

Kumar

rajivk
13-Mar-2020, 20:38
Ilford film is often available in some of the big metros because India has a local distributor/dealer - https://www.srishtidigilife.co.in/ . But large format film for some reason is very expensive. Also shipping film into India has become very expensive with customs duty plus GST being over 40 percent. Best bet is to carry film if the airports you are going through are film friendly.

Rajiv

Exploring Large Format
13-Mar-2020, 20:52
If you ship the film, customs duty will have to be paid, so you should factor that into the cost. None of my customers have reported any issues with X-ray scanning.

If you carry the film yourself, there will be no question of duty, unless you are carrying a very large quantity. It is possible to ask for hand checking, making sure to get to the airport well in time and being polite.

KumarYes, courtesy translates around the world.

B.S.Kumar
13-Mar-2020, 21:35
Prabhu Photos in Bangalore sells film - not sure about brands or formats.

Kumar

rajivk
14-Mar-2020, 02:46
Prabhu Photos in Bangalore sells film - not sure about brands or formats.

Kumar

This is the online webpage for Prabhu Photos in Bangalore https://filmfotostore.com/product-category/films/

Charles S
14-Mar-2020, 08:18
Yes, courtesy translates around the world.

I had a bad experience with this with handchecking my being refused in BOM and VNS for my 4x5 kit, resulting in fogged Tmax400, while the Foma100 did not have issues.
And, yes, I was polite and patient to no avail.

More here: https://www.charles-s.com/varanasi-with-a-large-format-camera/

Exploring Large Format
14-Mar-2020, 09:16
I had a bad experience with this with handchecking my being refused in BOM and VNS for my 4x5 kit, resulting in fogged Tmax400, while the Foma100 did not have issues.
And, yes, I was polite and patient to no avail.

More here: https://www.charles-s.com/varanasi-with-a-large-format-camera/You're right, courtesy is not always enough. My experience is that some of the security personnel are low level without any independent ability to make judgements. It can be super frustrating. Also, a part of India that must be accounted for to enjoy.

Once, I got a real lesson on courtesy there. I thought I was being wrongly accused at Indian security of carrying a contraband Swiss Army knife. I grew indignant--an indignant me is not pretty!--and the agent let me have it right back. Turns out, I'd forgotten that I was carrying our child's luggage...and their knife. Guilty as charged, and now it is family lore that gets retold every time we enter security. Sheez!

Your travel with large format insights from your post are super helpful. Made my mind up then and there on the Crown Graphic. Thanks!

Fabulous portraits!! Thanks for sharing.

Exploring Large Format
14-Mar-2020, 09:21
This is the online webpage for Prabhu Photos in Bangalore https://filmfotostore.com/product-category/films/

I think I'll carry it on. I checked on Amazon.in for HP5+, and it is available for about $125 USD. I believe that price is partly due to my logging in from the U.S. Perhaps it is cheaper if I ordered once I arrived in Bangalore? Didn't see 4x5 on the Prabhu website, but I'll check around in Bangalore shops when I arrive...post Coronavirus.

In any event, I'm going with risking security and doing carry on. Thanks for the tips!

Ulophot
14-Mar-2020, 10:51
Thanks to all. I am not going to India; I was inquiring for my colleagues there and have posted some of your info for them.

Raghu Kuvempunagar
17-Mar-2020, 07:30
I'd be very interested in B&W 4X5 availability in Bangalore. Our early April trip to visit my wife's folks is cancelled due to virus issues. As they are aging, it's troubling. But we will go when we can, and I'd love to capture them on 4x5! I've traveled many times there--amazing country and people!--the last couple of years carrying Instant film in my carry-on. Very challenging to prevent multiple X-Ray exposures to film I've found. Thanks!

Arvind Kumar of Eastern Photographic Co, New Delhi can help you with Ilford 4x5 films. Alternatively, if your wife's folks have a permanent postal address in Bangalore, you can get 4x5 film shipped to them by an international seller. There are some eBay sellers from Hong Kong who ship Shanghai GP3 film and shipping is either free or nominal.

Exploring Large Format
17-Mar-2020, 08:08
Arvind Kumar of Eastern Photographic Co, New Delhi can help you with Ilford 4x5 films. Alternatively, if your wife's folks have a permanent postal address in Bangalore, you can get 4x5 film shipped to them by an international seller. There are some eBay sellers from Hong Kong who ship Shanghai GP3 film and shipping is either free or nominal.Perfect. Now to just get this virus in the rear view mirror for us all!

Exploring Large Format
17-Mar-2020, 11:14
Arvind Kumar of Eastern Photographic Co, New Delhi can help you with Ilford 4x5 films. Alternatively, if your wife's folks have a permanent postal address in Bangalore, you can get 4x5 film shipped to them by an international seller. There are some eBay sellers from Hong Kong who ship Shanghai GP3 film and shipping is either free or nominal.Thanks, Raghu!