PDA

View Full Version : Ilex No. 3 Universal Shutter ?

JimboWalker
4-Mar-2020, 16:01
I just received this shutter , but know nothing about it. I bought it because it is a Cool thing! Anyone know what may have been intended to be used for? Note the lack of aperture markings. The shutter works fine, but have not tested yet. Crappy screen capture photo. Thanks for any history or info!

Dan Fromm
4-Mar-2020, 17:11
It is from a tachistoscope. Used to project images for a short time. Used for teaching aircraft recognition, speed reading exercises, ... The piece of glass in front is a dust cover.

Greg
4-Mar-2020, 18:20
Very, very cool... I am jealous. I'd probably display it on my bookshelf as with many other eclectic photo items that I have collected over time.

Dan Fromm
4-Mar-2020, 19:18
Um, some tachistoscopes used Alphax #3 shutters.

Mark Sampson
4-Mar-2020, 20:05
"very dim, dim, medium, bright". I like that!

Dugan
4-Mar-2020, 22:00
Perfect for my moods. :cool:

JimboWalker
5-Mar-2020, 15:09
Thanks! I knew you guys would have an answer. I sometimes even surprise MYSELF with spending money on stuff I will never use, but as they say....."They don't make these like they used to". I will sell to Greg for $1000.00.

Tin Can
5-Mar-2020, 15:38
and now I know what I got, the same thing!

no box though...

Greg
7-Mar-2020, 18:12
Thanks! I knew you guys would have an answer. I sometimes even surprise MYSELF with spending money on stuff I will never use, but as they say....."They don't make these like they used to". I will sell to Greg for $1000.00.

Ok it's a deal. But no wait... just found an esoteric other thing to spend my $$$ on.

Tin Can
7-Mar-2020, 18:18
I got mine with a pile of odd stuff

Before I woke up I bought a KALART SISTOGUN II

a flashbulb synchronizer!

JimboWalker
8-Mar-2020, 13:03
We are all sick, but as they say....."You are not a hoarder if you have cool stuff."

Dan Fromm
8-Mar-2020, 13:45
We are all sick, but as they say....."You are not a hoarder if you have cool stuff."

Hmm. Much of my stuff isn't cool.