PDA

View Full Version : Ilex Paragon Anastigmat 10 inch F4.5 Info

Hap
2-Mar-2020, 21:34
I found this lens in a box at home in perfect shape mounted in a fully functional Ilex #5 synchro shutter which has writing 14 1/2in f6.3 to 45.

What is coverage of this lens? It's on a large boardabout 8x8 inches? How would I find it's value?

Hap

Hap
2-Mar-2020, 21:34
I have serial number if that helps someone identify.
Hap

John Kasaian
2-Mar-2020, 22:03
In a darkened room with light colored walls, open the lens up to f6.3 and point it at something bright---like a window or desk lamp across the room(you want to be where it's dark). Hold the lens 10 inches or so from the light colored wall and it should project an image on the wall. Try to get it in focus by moving the lens towards or away from the wall and the size of the image circle should give you an idea of the coverage.
I'd guess it'll cover an 8x10 or thereabouts.

Mark Sampson
3-Mar-2020, 10:56
It is a Tessar formula and should barely cover 8x10 focused at infinity. They were made for a long time and were replaced, I think, in the 1960s by the f/6.3 version. There's a thread here from a few days ago about the 6.3 model which might be of interest. The shutter would be from one of the 14"/6.3 lenses from the 60s-70s. So the f/stop markings may not be accurate for the 10" lens, not difficult to measure. It ought to be a fine performer on4x5 and 5x7; we don't do valuations on this forum, so I'd search eBay for completed transactions.

Hap
3-Mar-2020, 19:24
It is a Tessar formula and should barely cover 8x10 focused at infinity. They were made for a long time and were replaced, I think, in the 1960s by the f/6.3 version. There's a thread here from a few days ago about the 6.3 model which might be of interest. The shutter would be from one of the 14"/6.3 lenses from the 60s-70s. So the f/stop markings may not be accurate for the 10" lens, not difficult to measure. It ought to be a fine performer on4x5 and 5x7; we don't do valuations on this forum, so I'd search eBay for completed transactions.

thanks everybody for the words of wisdom I have a red dot Artar 24 inch in a barrel. Maybe a better investment to remount the Artar with the Ilex #5 and let the Paragon...which seems to be marginal for 8x10 find another shutter home with someone else. I don't know why I had it in the Ilex #5 and on such a large lens board, if I wasn't using it on at least 8x10. I nver had a 5x7 or a 4x5.

Hap

Chauncey Walden
5-Mar-2020, 11:18
I have one of these in perfect condition. I picked it up years ago at an extremely low price mainly for the shutter and don't think I've ever used it. I'll have to mount it for the 8x10 and show it some light just for fun.

Hap
5-Mar-2020, 18:21
I have one of these in perfect condition. I picked it up years ago at an extremely low price mainly for the shutter and don't think I've ever used it. I'll have to mount it for the 8x10 and show it some light just for fun.

Thanks for responding. I'd like to know what you find out about coverage. The shutter it's sitting in could find use of a much better lens mounted if thisone doesn't even cover 8x10 with some movements. It's a big shutter and a pretty big lens.

Hap

Hap
5-Mar-2020, 18:22
The shutter is not engraved correctly for the lens apertures. So something needs to be done anyway.
Hap