PDA

View Full Version : Folding problem with Intrepid 4x5 MK4 camera

younghoon Kil
29-Feb-2020, 17:46

I recently purchased an Intrepid 4x5 MK4 camera.
When folding the camera, the screws on the lensboard clip press the edge of the focusing bed.
So there was a crush marks on the edges of the bed.
Has anyone experienced this problem?
And is this normal?

Exploring Large Format
29-Feb-2020, 17:52

I recently purchased an Intrepid 4x5 MK4 camera.
When folding the camera, the screws on the lensboard clip press the edge of the focusing bed.
So there was a crush marks on the edges of the bed.
Has anyone experienced this problem?
And is this normal?I experienced a little of same on one side. Since then, I haven't folded but maybe once more, just kept it open and covered since. Then I forgot about it till you sent this. I meant to check whether it was related to how everything was dialed in prior to folding. Now I'm away for a week, just me and my Crown Graphic. [emoji41] Interested in whether you can determine if it is related to how it is adjusted prior to folding. And others' input. Thanks for raising.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

younghoon Kil
29-Feb-2020, 18:24

Another picture.
I think the screws should be inside the lensboard clip like Chamonix.

Exploring Large Format
29-Feb-2020, 18:30

Another picture.
I think the screws should be inside the lensboard clip like Chamonix.Aha! Intrepid is very responsive. I wonder what they'd say. Bummer.

younghoon Kil
29-Feb-2020, 18:58

Another picture.

Bob Salomon
29-Feb-2020, 19:00

Another picture.

Have you asked Intrepid?

younghoon Kil
29-Feb-2020, 19:03
I wanted to ask other users if this was normal.

Bob Salomon
29-Feb-2020, 19:15
I wanted to ask other users if this was normal.
I can’t imagine any manufacturer designing a camera where this would be common or normal. After all, wasn’t it folded when you first received it and, if so, were there already crushed areas?

younghoon Kil
29-Feb-2020, 19:21

I don't remember exactly.
But I felt something strange when I folded the camera.

Exploring Large Format
29-Feb-2020, 19:25

But I felt something strange when I folded the camera.Yes, I agree. That's why I said earlier that I assumed I must have refolded with the settings not being adjusted properly. Then, due to a change in my short-term priorities, I got a Crown Graphic and set my Intrepid aside for the moment. But my gut says the cause was my folding steps.

Bob Salomon
29-Feb-2020, 19:40

But I felt something strange when I folded the camera.

It would have been very simple for the factory to have slightly routed out that area if they knew that the knobs would gouge their. I think you have to look at how the camera folds.

younghoon Kil
29-Feb-2020, 20:43

Another picture.

younghoon Kil
29-Feb-2020, 20:44

Another picture.

Now I will contact the Intrepid camera.
Thank you for your interest.

younghoon Kil
2-Mar-2020, 05:33
This is a quirk of the design unfortunately but it won’t get worse than a slight impression on the wood.
We are looking at a way of preventing it and will let you know when we do.

I received this e-mail from Intrepid.
I waited 15 weeks to receive this camera and I haven't used this camera yet.
And I think the damage will get worse.

I wonder what you think.

Fred L
2-Mar-2020, 06:28
Changing the wood screws should help, look for flat heads. Surprised Intrepid didn't see this problem when they were testing the camera. If you don't care about the looks, I'd not worry about it. If you do, change the screws, but make sure the top of the screws are flush with the clip.

and quirk of design is not a great answer imo...its poor parts selection on their part.

Exploring Large Format
2-Mar-2020, 13:24
I received this e-mail from Intrepid.
I waited 15 weeks to receive this camera and I haven't used this camera yet.
And I think the damage will get worse.

I wonder what you think.Thanks for birddogging this. As I said, I'm traveling and don't have my Intrepid handy. It's a real disappointment. I'd hoped it was my folding particulars that were the problem. Iwonder if this is a Mark 4 issue sir ti new design?

I'll look at swapping out screws when I return home. But, grrrr, eh? Otherwise, I do dig the Intrepid.

younghoon Kil
9-Mar-2020, 16:40
We will be sending a replacement lens board clip which is longer so will prevent the screws coming into contact with the focus bed. The base is the same design.

Today, Intrepid sent me a new base and lens board clip.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Exploring Large Format
9-Mar-2020, 18:08
That's great! Thanks for the update.

Exploring Large Format
10-Mar-2020, 10:29
After examining my Intrepid MK4 further, I discovered I only had damage on one side, and that was very slight, likely because I didn't fold it very often at all. Maybe just once.

I contacted Intrepid and told them I'd sand off that little rough edge, and asked if they would send me the newer lensboard clips. They responded in 10 minutes that they were dropping them in the mail. Awesome!

They also indicated that the problem was with that one batch only; all current models have the new clip.

Thanks for raising this issue on the Forum!