PDA

View Full Version : Best enlarger you have used

shutterboy
28-Feb-2020, 23:57
Out of all the enlargers you have used for 4x5, which is the top of the list in your opinion in terms of ease of use, features and functionality? I am new to LF photography and looking for my first enlarger to print B/W for now and RA4 in the near future.

I have some experience using the LPL 4550 while in school but that enlarger had some light leaks around the head. I wanted to understand if there is anything that is better.

Thanks

Peter Lewin
29-Feb-2020, 06:16
Your question has to be divided into two parts: the enlarger chassis, and the enlarger head, since most enlargers will take a variety of heads (light sources). For a chassis, I would put my DeVere 504 in the top tier, since I don't know if there is one definitive best. The DeVere is built like a tank, and I find the baseboard controls very convenient, other designs occasionally need extension arms or motors to avoid the need for very long arms to reach the controls for larger enlargements. I use a ZoneVI VC head along with the matching Compensating Timer which I like, but would not argue is the best. From what I have read, the German-made Heiland head and timer, which is a modern design using LEDs and comes in versions to fit most chassis, might win the "head contest," but they are also very expensive.

Peter De Smidt
29-Feb-2020, 06:20
I agree with Peter. A De Vere 504 is an excellent chassis.

Renato Tonelli
29-Feb-2020, 06:24
My order of preference for reliability, ease of use, quality-build (from personal use):

1. Durst
2. LPL
3. Beseler

I have never worked with a DeVere, which has a great reputation. I have worked with a very old Omega D2 and was not enthused by spending so much time trying to align it - to be fair, it was in a school darkroom where students cranked the thing to near death.

The light leaks on the LPL can be dealt with - my guess is that the one you used at school has been handled/abused by inexperienced hands.

Tin Can
29-Feb-2020, 06:31
Yes, most heads leak light, maybe that is part of the cooling system, when all heads were hot lamps. Most still are. DON'T SEAL THEM UP!

LED heads run cool. cool enough when I was testing DIY LED heads several years ago, I found I could eliminate all light leaks with a cover and gaff tape.

Which I need when enlarging onto negative film.

However even Heiland heads are adapted to many types of negative carriers with various ways they are held in alignment, so they may also leak light.

Do Helland heads need cooling air supply venting?

IDK

Jim Jones
29-Feb-2020, 07:08
Most photographers can adapt to whatever 4x5 enlarger they use often. Most of my 4x5 B&W enlarging was done on old Elwood and DeJur enlargers. Appropriate newer enlargers are far better for color film. Hands on experience is a better guide for the lifetime investment in an enlarger than relying on what the rest of us have found through our own experience.

ic-racer
29-Feb-2020, 07:42
Out of all the enlargers you have used for 4x5, which is the top of the list in your opinion in terms of ease of use, features and functionality? I am new to LF photography and looking for my first enlarger to print B/W for now and RA4 in the near future.

I have some experience using the LPL 4550 while in school but that enlarger had some light leaks around the head. I wanted to understand if there is anything that is better.

Thanks

A little overkill, but you asked for 'top of the list.'
Here is a L1840 with Larabox 450 mixing box and 210mm lens. This is my 4x5" printing setup.

John Kasaian
29-Feb-2020, 07:46
Most photographers can adapt to whatever 4x5 enlarger they use often. Most of my 4x5 B&W enlarging was done on old Elwood and DeJur enlargers. Appropriate newer enlargers are far better for color film. Hands on experience is a better guide for the lifetime investment in an enlarger than relying on what the rest of us have found through our own experience.

There it is!:)

Dugan
29-Feb-2020, 07:49
An Omega D5XL with an Ilford Multigrade 500 head.

Alan9940
29-Feb-2020, 08:00
Since I've only had one for 40 years and still use it regularly to this day--a Beseler 45MX--I suppose that makes it the "best" for me! :D

LabRat
29-Feb-2020, 15:14
One that holds consistent fine alignment, and is user friendly in use...

Steve K

MartinP
29-Feb-2020, 17:01
The usefulness of the answers will depend on the continent where the OP is looking for an enlarger.

Working professionally in the UK, I used a De Vere 504 for years, last century. Nowadays I use a De Vere 203 as my main enlarger - it's a similar design to the 504, but for up to 6x9cm negs. I have since started shooting large-format again and am using a Meopta Magnitarus which is several generations behind the De Veres! It works well enough but is certainly 'old-fashioned'. [Edit: the lab where I worked also had several Durst machines, but I preferred the De Vere in practical use].

So, for me, De Vere all the way.

Drew Wiley
29-Feb-2020, 19:04
All my own enlargers are somewhat customized. But if you don't need 8x10 capacity, the Durst L138 series is unquestionably the top end of the food chain in my opinion. But that of course depends on what shape the unit you buy is in, and what your comfort level is with restoration is if it does need some work. The L138 designation only applies to the chassis, or rather a whole series of them, with their own internal evolution over several decades. All kinds of colorheads can be adapted to these, including their own obviously. Since they're technically a 5x7 system, you can get especially even illumination over 4x5 film with the correct mirror box. Various types of negative carriers were also made, precise registration versions. These came from the commercial division of Durst which is no longer in operation, so this is a much higher quality enlarger than their current 4x5 offering. You'll need a true halogen colorhead if you want anything serious for color printing.

Mark Sampson
29-Feb-2020, 20:19
Much of my darkroom experience in the last 42 years has been with the Omega D-series enlargers. That would be in two custom labs as well as decades inside Eastman Kodak. My home enlarger for 30 years has been an Omega D-II form the Korean War era (with a stabilized cold-light head). So they are what I am used to... despite their flaws they are rugged machines capable of top-quality work; I'd enjoy printing with a Dichroic II color head again but I'm not going looking for one. They are like a Ford (or Chevy)pickup truck... a working tool to get the job done.
I've admired Dursts (from a distance) and known fine darkroom workers who preferred the Beseler machines. The one De Vere I've used worked well too; but if I was starting over I think I'd find a Saunders/LPL with a diffusion or color head. The one I used a few times at a rental darkroom in DC impressed me with its quality and ease of use.
As far as light leaks go, "they all do that" to some extent. Masking off that stray light isn't that difficult with any of them- but it pays off.

esearing
1-Mar-2020, 05:00
The cheapest and most reliable I ever used was an old Federal 4x5. If it had a filter drawer above the negative it would have been perfect. It was basically a simple tall lamp housing with 1 incandescent bulb and an adjustable negative to lens stage riding on an aluminum pole. But it came with a really sharp 135 lens.

Then someone gave me a Beseler MX and I went through 2 faulty heads before buying the Ilford 500 system + RHDesigns Analyzer in place of a broken 500C. The MX leaks light horizontally at the negative carrier which is the one thing I hate about it. I will likely design an insert or new negative carrier drawer one day to replace the foam I am using now.

bob carnie
1-Mar-2020, 08:20
for documentary work I like a Condensor enlarger, for all other work I kept my Devere... glass carrier, good alignment and excellent optics trump all.

Bernice Loui
1-Mar-2020, 08:52
Durst 138 or Durst 184 or Devere 50x floor standing version with an equally matching high quality head, condenser, color or similar. Using and living with a 'GOOD' floor standing enlarger can completely alter your perspective and expectations of any enlarger. Personally, I'll never want to own-use any table top enlarger. The stability, configurability and durability of a high quality industrial-commercial enlarger when properly set up and properly serviced-maintenance simply meets the demands of quality print making well.

Light leaks are often a problem as a result of wear and lack of proper service-maintenance care by the enlarger's owner-user. All bellows, and moving parts wear out in time and usage and will need replacement eventually. It is not always the enlarger or similar mechanical-technological devices fault it has died from being used... up.

Bernice

Bernice Loui
1-Mar-2020, 09:01
And remains in alignment and stable for the entire duration of making a print. It printing a sheet of film placed in an enlarger "pops" moves, shifts, goes out of focus, or .... after being set up.. trying to achieve a good print is simply not really possible.

Working to make a good print from a sheet of film can take hours, that enlarger must stay put once set during all that time. This also applies to the light source, if the light source is not stable or consistent with each exposure, it compounds the difficulties of good print making.

Bernice

One that holds consistent fine alignment, and is user friendly in use...

Steve K

Ulophot
1-Mar-2020, 15:05
I have always used Omegas. When I got my own enlarger, I bought what I knew and got a used, old-model D2 condenser. That was 1972. I later, by chance, was able to upgrade to a used, later model for free, and eventually replaced the condenser head with an Aristo coldlight, followed by Zone VI's compensating-connected one and their timer, which I love. I had to replace the light head about three years ago, and happened to find a Beseler 4x5 with a Zone VI head in it a few hours away, for $100. I returned home, substituted the head, cleaned up the enlarger a bit, and sold it, sans light, for $100. The Beseler is a Brooklyn Bridge of stability, but I have never suffered any problems with my Omega, besides which, the Beseler would simply not have fit my space.
An LED head will be next, whenever my Zone VI dies or I get rich, whichever comes first. Ha -- the problem will be the gap in-between, and it's likely I'll be scouting for a gently used Zone VI, unless some wonderful person starts making a good LED head I can afford. There was an American-made one years ago for about $400, but the maker stopped.

Bob Salomon
1-Mar-2020, 15:22
Log E 10x10

Drew Wiley
1-Mar-2020, 16:36
We should really divide this into two different categories : good enlargers made of anodized aluminum etc that cost a few hundred bucks for the chassis, versus commercial units with a lot of machined components that ran anywhere from $15,000 to $75,000 back in the day. Given the fact that with some luck you might get any of the above for downright free these days if you're willing to haul it off, you might as well land the best fish still swimming around.

Tin Can
1-Mar-2020, 17:23
Bought a $20,000 10X10 FOTAR for $250 beginning of last decade. At that time I could barely walk. A buddy drove his pickup to Indiana, I paid gas. Maybe Jack's Camera, a big store, they wanted it gone ASAP so they could set up more InkJet Printers. The owner assigned a healthy young man to disassemble, we did not touch it. Liability I suppose. The head was already gone with all lenses. lens boards and film carriers.

Cast alu, with plenty of steel counter balance weights. Concrete filled base, VGC. The young man got another employee to help. Nobody knew how to dismantle it. I was now spectator.

Too big to get out the room, very heavy. Later I figured at least 1500 lbs.

They figure they need to remove the weights, hanging on thin cables on 2 capstans. They got one weight loose, the very strong young man wrapped the cable around his hand to lift the weight.

He damn near lost that hand, everybody jumped and saved him.

Long story short, it got into my Chicago studio with difficulty. 3 big parts, each part very heavy even with the massive counterweights removed.

Took me some time to get it working. The cables are not easy. Here are the only instructions. (http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/FotarInstall.pdf)

Used with DIY head until 2017, sold it to a guy who really wanted it. I know where it is. He doesn't use any forum last time I saw him.

In the pic, you can see 5X7 Saltzman neg carrier handle poking out, the LED head was off for this shot.

I still use the CB7 to the left in a new location with more room.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49606885081_8d72438bb9_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2izAfE6)1-FOTAR (https://flic.kr/p/2izAfE6) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

6x6TLL
1-Mar-2020, 20:12
I had a DeVere 405 with colour head for years and loved it, picked it up for a song from a pro who was going all digital. It was built like a tank, weighed around 40-50kg and was really ergonomically designed. Unfortunately I had to sell it when I moved to the US, simply too big and bulky to carry. I also anticipated finding some photography clubs here that had their own enlarger/darkroom I could join/rent, but that turned out not to be the case. So now I develop myself and scan instead. Still, I miss the darkroom...

ruilourosa
2-Mar-2020, 06:10
focomat v35 for 35

durst 805 for MF

laborator 1200 for 4x5

laborator 134 for 5x7

laborator 1840 for 8x10 (not mine...)

Tin Can
2-Mar-2020, 06:46
Currently

Focomat V35

Beseler 23CIII-XL Condenser or fanless OE Color Head

Elwood 5X7 OE Reflector Head

Beseler CB7 Condenser Head on OE Table

Beseler 45V-XL 8X10 conversion Aristo V54 Lamp Wall Mount

shutterboy
2-Mar-2020, 13:54
Wow. I did not expect that many replies to a newbie post. You sure are a very helpful group of people.

After reading through all the posts, here is what I could think that would work for me.I am not looking for something that is in the passing. I have proven to myself that I like silver prints, and would like to pursue it till chemicals go obsolete. And I have a dedicated unfinished room in my backyard where I intend to build a darkroom.

1. I would love to have floor standing enlarger.
2. I would prefer to go with a diffusion head. Preferably cold light.
3. I do not mind waiting a bit for getting the right equipment. I realize this is looking for used equipment that is not exactly available on the shelf of a store to buy.

Now here are my followup problems:

1. Devere, that is very well reputed is (was) based in UK and I have not seen too many units show up in the US market. Please correct me if I am wrong.
2. I would prefer to have a B/W as well as a color Dichro head that goes on the same chassis.
3. I do not contemplate printing larger than 11x14. M-A-Y-B-E (and really just maybe) 20x24. (But I seriously doubt it.)
4. I do not contemplate shooting larger than 4x5.
5. Since I am "building" the dark room, I have the flexibility of laying it out as my wish and best practices.
6. Other than Ebay( where almost everything is super overpriced), photrio.com and craigslist (will definitely like to avoid this), I am not aware of any other market place.

What would you recommendations be for the 6 points above?

Many thanks.

Drew Wiley
2-Mar-2020, 14:00
Just 11X14's? You don't need a floor-standing enlarger to do that. But what if you get good enough at 11X14's to get addicted to printing (disclaimer - large format photography is indeed habit-forming), and you want to scale up? Then starting out with somewhat oversized equipment makes perfect sense. You can follow ads on this forum too. But sometimes luck is involved in acquiring a free or bargain enlarger, which does not necessarily mean something substandard at all, especially if you're near a large city where they're likely to turn up. Jump at anything in good shape Omega, Beseler, Saunders, Durst etc, especially if it has a working colorhead.

Luis-F-S
2-Mar-2020, 14:20
The trick to getting a quality enlarger is finding one at the right price within reasonable driving distance. If you just want 4x5 I would look for an LPL enlarger. It's currently made and parts are easy to find new and used. Look at Craig's List and these sites, and I would not pay over $500 for one in good shape with some carriers, etc. If you need larger, then I'd get a DeVere 5108. I drove a 2000 mi round trip to pick mine up, but it was worth it. Both or these enlargers have diffused dichroic light sources, and the LPL also has a VCCE head which works great. Devere never made one for the 5108, though they did for the 504 but they are scarce. If you insist on a cold light source, then make sure you get a Metrolux compensating timer with it. Good Luck.

Tin Can
2-Mar-2020, 14:22
Tell us what city you are near...you never know what is near you...

The big stuff does not ship well or cheaply

I have moved 5 big floor standing enlargers with much assistance

I consider a 500 mile radius close enough to fetch anything, day out, load, day back, more than once I never got out of the van

I WAS incapacitated for a few years

Luis-F-S
2-Mar-2020, 14:23
Wow. I did not expect that many replies to a newbie post. You sure are a very helpful group of people.

After reading through all the posts, here is what I could think that would work for me.I am not looking for something that is in the passing. I have proven to myself that I like silver prints, and would like to pursue it till chemicals go obsolete. And I have a dedicated unfinished room in my backyard where I intend to build a darkroom.

1. I would love to have floor standing enlarger. DEVERE OR DURST BUT FLOOR STANDING IS NOT NEEDED.
2. I would prefer to go with a diffusion head. Preferably cold light.
3. I do not mind waiting a bit for getting the right equipment. I realize this is looking for used equipment that is not exactly available on the shelf of a store to buy.

Now here are my followup problems:

1. Devere, that is very well reputed is (was) based in UK and I have not seen too many units show up in the US market. Please correct me if I am wrong. THEY'RE OUT THERE, I GAVE 4 AWAY LAST YEAR, AND ONE WENT IN THE DUMPSTER.
2. I would prefer to have a B/W as well as a color Dichro head that goes on the same chassis. LPL IS 4X5 AND HAS VERY EASILY INTERCHANGEABLE LIGHT SOURCES-DICHROIC AND VCCE.
3. I do not contemplate printing larger than 11x14. M-A-Y-B-E (and really just maybe) 20x24. (But I seriously doubt it.)
4. I do not contemplate shooting larger than 4x5. LPL
5. Since I am "building" the dark room, I have the flexibility of laying it out as my wish and best practices.
6. Other than Ebay( where almost everything is super overpriced), photrio.com and craigslist (will definitely like to avoid this), I am not aware of any other market place. CRAIGLIST, THESE LISTS AND LUCK!!!

ic-racer
2-Mar-2020, 16:05
If 4x5 enlarger is what you desire, that should be easy to find. On ebay today I stopped counting after I reached 15 listings for 4x5 enlargers.

shutterboy
2-Mar-2020, 20:16
Tell us what city you are near...you never know what is near you...

Lake Stevens, about 40 miles north of Seattle, WA