PDA

View Full Version : Large prints from Fuji 64TII

Emre Yildirim
12-Dec-2005, 07:58
Hello,

I plan on using Fuji 64TII (4x5) to photograph a city scene with lots of hot lights. I'm intending on making a 20x30 or possibly larger (but not larger than 30x40) print, but I'm a little unsure. The print needs to be very high quality, and I've never printed anything from this film so I'm concerned about its grain and resolving power. The reason why I'm not using Provia/Astia with a blue filter, is because I have two packs of this stuff, and I need to sort of use it before it expires.

According to the datasheets, this film is slightly grainier than Provia (RMS of 10 instead of 8) and has less resolving power (55 lines per mm instead of 60). So I guess my question is, will this be a problem in a large print, in terms of grain becoming visible? Has anyone printed stuff from this film? What are your experiences?

Thanks!

Matthew Cromer
12-Dec-2005, 08:05
Why did you select this film?

Emre Yildirim
12-Dec-2005, 08:13
I had shot some 64T with my MF camera a while ago and I liked the look as far as colors were concerned. Looking at the scanned image however, I did see some grain (after zooming in quite a bit) - but that was okay, since it didn't need to be printed. I'm used to printing from Velvia and Astia, which turn out really nice even for large prints. But I have no printing experience using this film.

Plus, the camera store was trying to get rid of this film, so I got a good deal on it (two 10-sheet packs for $10).

Matthew Cromer
12-Dec-2005, 13:16
I'd recommend you shoot a test scene with your film and scan it to see if the grain is going to be a problem.

Capocheny
12-Dec-2005, 15:32
Hi Emre,

If that's the only reason you're using the Fuji 64TII then I'd suggest putting it back into the freezer and going with a different film such as the Velvia, Astia, or Provia.

If the film is frozen... you don't have to be concerned with it (especially since it sounds like it hasn't even expired yet.) I purchased 5000 sheets of Provia a few years ago because it was being sold at a GREAT price. I pulled out another package a few weeks back, shot with it and it's still in great condition. So, I don't think you need to worry about freezing your two packages. :)

Matthew makes a good point about doing a test shoot of the scene PRIOR to the "big, grand finale shoot!"

Personally, I'd go the Provia or Astia route... :) But, that's just MOI. :)

Good luck

Cheers

David Luttmann
12-Dec-2005, 15:39
Emre,

If low grain and accurate color is your goal, then I'd recommend Astia F as well. Grain RMS of 7.....color that is bang on.....and good reciprocity charcteristics.

Eric Jones
12-Dec-2005, 22:31
Hello Emre,

At an 8x (30x40) enlargement the grain will be fine. I have used quite a bit of this stock as well as Kodak Portra 100T. Are you making the prints using a traditional enlarger or are you going the digital route. If you are going the digital route the real limit will be your scanning system. Are you having them drum scanned or using a consumer / prosumer flat bed? If you are dealing with a lot of bright and tungsten type of lighting most likely the tungsten film is a more appropriate choice. I often pull negative film a stop which also tightens up the grain and helps control really hot practical lights. I hope some of this helps.

Eric

Eric Jones
13-Dec-2005, 00:20
Brain Fart..... You meant the 64T Type II CHROME.... What happended to Fuji's Tungsten Balanced Negative Film?