PDA

View Full Version : Linhoff technika upgrade kit wide angle strut kit

doctorpepe
22-Feb-2020, 19:47
I purchased one of those Linhoff technika upgrade kit wide angle strut kits for my tech v. The seller was vague about whether the rangefinder had to be removed (I suspected this from the minimal diagrams). YES, you do have to remove the rf! This is OK in my case as I use the camera as a field camera and the accessory works very well withy 65 & 75 mm lenses. I think it converts the tech v I to a linhof 3000? Anyway it is a relatively easy conversion (a few hours of careful work).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Salomon
23-Feb-2020, 03:23
If it converts it to a 3000 then the drop bed drops to 90°. And a new focus knob for the internal bed tracks is add to the outside of the camera and infinity stops are added inside the bed.

mpirie
23-Feb-2020, 05:59
Maybe it's more like a 2000 conversion with the internal focussing on a lever inside the body as opposed to the 3000 which has a focus knob on the outside of the shell?

Mike

Bob Salomon
23-Feb-2020, 06:30
Maybe it's more like a 2000 conversion with the internal focussing on a lever inside the body as opposed to the 3000 which has a focus knob on the outside of the shell?

Mike
I,would doubt it.

Corran
24-Feb-2020, 08:40

Mike

Yes it is, from what I understand.

I asked about these kits on eBay, and was told the RF was removed, so I declined. I'm still considering converting my older Tech IV into a field camera by stripping the RF and adding this unit though...

Corran
24-Feb-2020, 08:41
I assume this is what the OP is referencing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linhof-Technika-Upgrade-Kit-Wide-Angle-Track-Strut-f-IV-V-Accessory/173471405098

Bob Salomon
24-Feb-2020, 09:05

I asked about these kits on eBay, and was told the RF was removed, so I declined. I'm still considering converting my older Tech IV into a field camera by stripping the RF and adding this unit though...

Not only do you remove the side rangefinder, you also need a plate to cover where it was and then the internal linkage for the RF also has to be removed.

Once you install it the bed will still not drop down far enough to keep it from cutting into the image area with lenses shorter then 90mm when the back is rotated to portrait orientation. So the 3000 bed modification would eliminate that problem but it can not be done on older cameras.

Corran
24-Feb-2020, 09:27
I can use a 58mm XL on my Master in vertical orientation with the bed dropped. On the IV I haven't tried. If it works in horizontal orientation and one is removing the RF anyway, you could just add a secondary tripod mount on the side to shoot in vertical orientation just like Crowns/Speeds have.

Bob Salomon
24-Feb-2020, 11:45
I can use a 58mm XL on my Master in vertical orientation with the bed dropped. On the IV I haven't tried. If it works in horizontal orientation and one is removing the RF anyway, you could just add a secondary tripod mount on the side to shoot in vertical orientation just like Crowns/Speeds have.

The instruction book tell you when using 75 and wider and want to shoot a vertical to leave the back horizontal, drop the bed all the way and rotate the camera 90 degrees, they made an offset bracket to tripod mount it that way.

Corran
24-Feb-2020, 11:50
If I chopped up a Linhof for field use I wouldn't bother with a silly bracket. Just screw/tap another tripod mounting hole. Kodak/Graphic figured this out a century ago...

mpirie
24-Feb-2020, 12:11
I assume this is what the OP is referencing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linhof-Technika-Upgrade-Kit-Wide-Angle-Track-Strut-f-IV-V-Accessory/173471405098
Yeah, that looks similar to the internal focussing bed from a 2000.

Mike

doctorpepe
27-Feb-2020, 20:51
Thanx for all your input. The drop bed works with a 65mm on horizontal format.

Also I found a nice strap that fits perfectly into the top brackets for carrying without modification. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200228/e63f9e287f14b4323042dadcd097ded3.jpg

doctorpepe
27-Feb-2020, 21:09
201174. Is this the strut kit you all are referring to that would allow a greater angle of drop with the linhof?

Bob Salomon
27-Feb-2020, 21:11
201174. Is this the strut kit you all are referring to that would allow a greater angle of drop with the linhof?

Yes

Bob Salomon
27-Feb-2020, 21:12
Thanx for all your input. The drop bed works with a 65mm on horizontal format.

Also I found a nice strap that fits perfectly into the top brackets for carrying without modification. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200228/e63f9e287f14b4323042dadcd097ded3.jpg

Missing the metal reinforcement plate that Linhof uses under the strap for reinforcement.

linhofbiker
5-Mar-2022, 15:57

Did you convert your Tech IV with one of these kits?
The item is still available on Ebay - the machining looks good and the price is $429 shipped free from China.

I have a Tech IV with the range finder removed. I did not use a cover plate for the range finder housing as it is not needed.

I am considering using the Tech IV with 75mm f:5.6 SA and Mamiya 50mm f:6.3 mounted in a compur 0 shutter with this kit installed but I am concerned as to whether infinity focus is possible with both lenses.

If the bed when dropped to the lowest level (#3) is still a problem than the bed could be removed completely!
I know this is a horrible idea for a Linhof purist but I would be using a Kardan Bi for longer than 75mm FL.

I have several 6x7 and 6x9 Super Rollex's that will be used in addition to 4x5 for the 75mm SA.

Bob Salomon
5-Mar-2022, 16:11
The item is still available on Ebay - the machining looks good and the price is $429 shipped free from China.

I have a Tech IV with the range finder removed. I did not use a cover plate for the range finder housing as it is not needed.

I am considering using the Tech IV with 75mm f:5.6 SA and Mamiya 50mm f:6.3 mounted in a compur 0 shutter with this kit installed but I am concerned as to whether infinity focus is possible with both lenses.

If the bed when dropped to the lowest level (#3) is still a problem than the bed could be removed completely!
I know this is a horrible idea for a Linhof purist but I would be using a Kardan Bi for longer than 75mm FL.

I have several 6x7 and 6x9 Super Rollex's that will be used in addition to 4x5 for the 75mm SA.

Your Technika easily focuses 72 and 75mm lenses to infinity. Yes, the bed has to be dropped to use them.

linhofbiker
5-Mar-2022, 16:19
Your Technika easily focuses 72 and 75mm lenses to infinity. Yes, the bed has to be dropped to use them.

Hi Bob, thanks for that. To focus nearer than infinity you have to slide the front standard along the interior track. Wouldn't this device's lever make this a lot easier, much like the Tech 2000?

Bob Salomon
5-Mar-2022, 16:59
Hi Bob, thanks for that. To focus nearer than infinity you have to slide the front standard along the interior track. Wouldn't this device's lever make this a lot easier, much like the Tech 2000?

Don’t know what they are selling. But the lever on the 2000 only moves the rail inside the camera body. The 75 and 72 use a recessed board and the rails on the bed.

Corran
5-Mar-2022, 19:09

No, I decided that since my Tech IV has several cammed lenses with it I should leave it as-is. I did pick up an additional Master at an estate sale that needs bellows and some other work done to it, so maybe that one will be a project camera in the future, who knows...