PDA

View Full Version : Light leaks and possible film processing problems

fredekblad
22-Feb-2020, 03:00
I have been developing my own film for over 10 years and never had any problems. But since I started out with large format about a year ago, it's just a big mess and I am trying not to give up on it.

I brought my Chamonix 45N-2 with a Sinaron SE 150mm to me and my wife's vacation in Thailand in December last year and yesterday I finally got around to develop. On all the negatives there is what I believe is a light leak across the image, and on some there are also some obvious problems with development.

Here's two examples. In the first one is there is a big streak across the image. In the second a similar streak is present but also what almost looks like a black rock to the right in the water, a wavy line going from upper right down and also some dots or circles on the left side in the sea.

First image:

And second image:

I am using the B's reel to develop.
What can be my problem or problems?

Have a good weekend everybody! :)
Fred

fredekblad
22-Feb-2020, 06:25
Well, this is embarrassing. I remember now that the notch was on the upper right..meaning the emulsion was facing in towards the plastic. I wish I could blame the camera on this one but, boy do I feel stupid now!
So this is how negatives turn out if you put them with the emulsion side in. Lesson learned.

Tin Can
22-Feb-2020, 06:54
I like mistakes
Adds a magical element

fredekblad
22-Feb-2020, 12:59
Thanks Tin Can, cheering me up :)

blue4130
22-Feb-2020, 16:19
Well, this is embarrassing. I remember now that the notch was on the upper right..meaning the emulsion was facing in towards the plastic. I wish I could blame the camera on this one but, boy do I feel stupid now!
So this is how negatives turn out if you put them with the emulsion side in. Lesson learned.

To me this doesn't look like a problem of having the film reversed. That tends to show up as overly orange shots. Could be developing related. You mention B's reel. What is that? Don't give up yet.

fredekblad
23-Feb-2020, 01:41
Sorry Vance, I should have been more clear. Not reversed in the film holder but reversed in the B's reel when developing must have been the problem.
The B's reel is an insert for the Paterson 3 tank that holds six 4x5 sheets. It's quite good. Here is a link: https://www.bounetphoto.com/bounet-shop/bs-4x5-developing-reel