PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Newton Glass

Kirk Gittings
10-Dec-2005, 21:46
I need a very specific and odd size of anti-newton glass made. Any ideas?

Joe Egge
10-Dec-2005, 22:17
Kirk - Focal Point Industries should be able to do any custon piece you could want. I had them make a piece for my Microtek 1800f recently. Custom sizes are not a problem. They were very responsive and helpful.
http://www.fpointinc.com/

Joe Egge

Richard Ide
10-Dec-2005, 22:21
Hi Kirk

Any chance of a substitute working? I used to use a very light dusting of rice starch and never picked it up on a negative or on a print. It was also dirt cheap. Very small particle size also. What exactly are you using it for?

Richard

Kirk Gittings
10-Dec-2005, 22:54
Joe, what are you using it for on a 1800f? To place on top of a negative laid on the glass platen?

Richard, I don't like any of the 120 holders for the Nikon 8000 scanner that I recently acquired including their glass carrier and I think I can adapt one to what i need with a piece of AN glass.

Kevin M Bourque
11-Dec-2005, 06:26
I second Focal Point. Quick service, good prices.

sanking
11-Dec-2005, 11:08
"Any chance of a substitute working? I used to use a very light dusting of rice starch and never picked it up on a negative or on a print. It was also dirt cheap. Very small particle size also. What exactly are you using it for? "

I have found that the anti-glare glass used by print framers is a good substitute. I purchased a piece several years go at Michael and it works fine in place of regular anti-newton glass in my application.

Joe Egge
11-Dec-2005, 12:00
Kirk - I use the anti-newton glass on the 8x10 glass holder to make digital contact proofs of 4 4X5 negatives.

Joe

Kirk Gittings
11-Dec-2005, 12:57
That is a good idea. it would be quicker and simpler than taping or using those ridiculous tab things.

Lars Åke Vinberg
12-Dec-2005, 15:10
On my 1800f I replaced the glass in the tray with an AR-coated sheet from a framing store. I then tape the 8x10 slide film to the glass on three sides.

The AR glass has one surface that is very slightly uneven, sort of like micro-waves in the glass. When holding it up and looking at a distant object it is quite visible. I am not sure if it shows up in scans but it would of corse be best to have glass that is optically flat.

C.A
14-Jan-2006, 17:40
I get all my anti newton glass from picture frame suppliers, they call it anti reflective glass which is the same stuff.

Peter De Smidt
6-Mar-2008, 19:14
Just a quick note, not all anti-newton glass is the same quality. I've used picture framing anti-glare glass, and it's texture is bigger than that used on my Screen scanner. Also, note that some anti-glare glass is textured on two sides, wheres for photographic purposes you probably want texture only on one side.

neil poulsen
6-Mar-2008, 22:40
I'm thinking of Precision Glass, or California Precision Glass, or something. They made the Durst glass that was distributed in the US. Gosh, there's a bunch of them. If you want, I could get more accurate information.

One thing, they're expensive. But, I was told by the person who bought all the remaining Durst enlargers, parts, all the plans, rights, etc., that they made the best glass in the country.

Peter De Smidt
7-Mar-2008, 16:48
Hi Neil,

If it'd not be too much trouble, I'd appreciate it.

Murray
7-Mar-2008, 19:56
Peter...

did you use AR (anti-reflective) (metallic sputter-coated, nearly invisible straight on),
or
non-glare, the acid etched (blurry)?

I had heard that AR will work.

Murray

Doug Fisher
7-Mar-2008, 20:32
>>I get all my anti newton glass from picture frame suppliers, they call it anti reflective glass which is the same stuff.<<

While it can meet the needs of many people, at least for a short time, the glass is usually not the same. The glass from framing shops that is inexpensive almost always has a coating on it. High quality anti-Newton glass is acid etched. The good AN glass comes from Europe. Due to the dollar's fall it is becoming very expensive. I prefer it as a long-term investment because it does not scratch as easily or wear off/fog and it can be used with fluid mounting chemicals. I understand the counterpoint though that you can buy multiple piece of AR glass for one piece of AN.

ljsegil
7-Mar-2008, 20:36
How about care of the Anti-Newton glass? Can you use regular glass cleaner, or do you need something special to avoid damaging the finish?
LJS

Peter De Smidt
7-Mar-2008, 21:14
Hi Murray, I used the anti-glare glass. It has more texture than true anti-newton glass, at least the sample I used did. There are quite a few brands out their. Ideally, I'd rather use anti-reflection glass. This is multi-coated just like camera lenses. I'd like to get som 4.5 or 6 mm Luxar glass, but I'm having trouble finding a source. There is also Optium, which is anti-reflection coated acrylic. The sheet I'd like to replace is actually acrylic, one with a very fine texture.

SAShruby
8-Mar-2008, 02:29
The best framing glass is Tru Vue glass - Museum type, it's anti-reflective plus 97&#37; UV blocking, thickness 2.5mm

Peter De Smidt
8-Mar-2008, 08:03
Hi Peter,

I don't need UV blocking, and I'd like something thicker than 2.5mm. This is for a scanner bed. Tru Vue AR Reflection Free doesn't have the UV blocking properties of Museum, but I'm not sure if it comes any thicker.

neil poulsen
8-Mar-2008, 09:54
Hi Neil,

If it'd not be too much trouble, I'd appreciate it.

I'll stop by next week. The Durst stuff is all gone, but he will very likely remember the name of the glass supplier.

Neil

SAShruby
8-Mar-2008, 10:47
Hi Peter,

I don't need UV blocking, and I'd like something thicker than 2.5mm. This is for a scanner bed. Tru Vue AR Reflection Free doesn't have the UV blocking properties of Museum, but I'm not sure if it comes any thicker.

According to my supplier, 2.5 mm is only choice. There is also Reflection control glass, no UV blocking.

Peter De Smidt
8-Mar-2008, 20:11
A local home improvement store had anti-glare acrylic by Plasticote. It has much too much texture, it's thin, and it doesn't lie flat. On the otherhand, it was really cheap.

I've done some wet-sanding of thick acrylic. This looks promising. I'm up to 1000 grit, and I get very fine lines. They make it up to 2500 grit, but I don't have a source for that locally. Buffing with a 10" random orbital polish, a terry cloth bonnet, and turtle wax polishing compound does seem to get rid of all texture.

Michael Rosenberg
9-Mar-2008, 10:25
Kirk,

Try SI Howard Glass (http://www.howardglass.com/). I have used their acid etched glass in my negative carriers and it works great. They are in a variety of thickness, and it is the clearest glass I have ever seen.

Mike

Ted Harris
9-Mar-2008, 10:39
Michael - the link is dead.

LJS - the coatings on the metallic coated glass can only be safely cleaned with water or soapy water.

phil sweeney
9-Mar-2008, 10:57
Kirk - Focal Point Industries should be able to do any custon piece you could want. I had them make a piece for my Microtek 1800f recently. Custom sizes are not a problem. They were very responsive and helpful.
http://www.fpointinc.com/

Joe Egge

Hi Joe,

And have you eliminated all the newton rings?

thanks

PViapiano
9-Mar-2008, 11:46
Michael - the link is dead.

LJS - the coatings on the metallic coated glass can only be safely cleaned with water or soapy water.

The link isn't dead, you just need to remove the paranthesis at the end...