PDA

View Full Version : cheap WA lenses for 'P&S' 4x5 ?

David Honey
9-Dec-2005, 21:32
I've been toying around with the idea of a home-built or modified wide-angle/set focus 4x5.

I realise a pinhole would do the job at the cheapest extreme, and I may indeed start there to save money and see just how serious I get.

But, to lenses.. with the minimal (or no) movements of such a camera, there would be no need for anything like a Super-Angulon type lens -- so an old Angulon or lesser beast should be adequate in coverage, right? (Why am I seeing such fancy wide-coverage lenses on some of these very simple cameras, then?)

I have some lust for a Super Angulon 65 or 75mm, I must admit, but these cost a lot. Would a 90mm SA give deep enough field of focus at say f22 for this type of camera?

I guess I could build an 8x10 P&S, on which a moderate-wide (on 4x5) would become super-wide!

Just toying with these ideas... any feedback?

Thanks.

Ed K.
9-Dec-2005, 21:49
Hi David,

I've had good luck with home-brew point and shoot 4x5s using anything from 65 to 135mm. If you put some way to either pre-focus your rig, ( a PVC tube set, a way to put shims in, or if you're lucky, a focusing mount ), you can optimize it for infinity or closer in shooting. I find that the 90 at hyperfocal is pretty darned nice, even at f32, it's still sharper than a pinhole.

You could also try barrel lenses with your rig and just use slow film - using 25 speed film at f22-32 sort of removes the need for a regular shutter. On the other hand, if you preset the focus to a good people shooting distance ( 3/4, full shot, etc), you might like the way you can hold it in the air above you and get neato angles using a shutter.

A 90mm on a 4x5 is still nice and wide, and you'll get nice 8x10s or larger with ease. A fast lens is only necessary if you want to shoot it wide open - since you probably won't build a P&S reflex, you don't need a bright one. Even an f9 lens would probably be fine.

The 127 Ektars are dirt cheap, and sharp in the center - they will work too, however their edges aren't so sharp. I build mine with shift capability when they are wide - which allows the buildings to stay square and wastes less of that wide image on just pavement or dirt. For that of course, you need some coverage. Could you afford a Nikkor SW90? It has enough coverage for 5x7. If you can get more coverage, you might be able to skip the center filter, which robs light and causes a bit more flare in some situations.

Best thing to do is just start hackin' them together for a bit. The use of a simple box camera will set you free!

David Honey
9-Dec-2005, 23:12
Thanks Ed.

Some front rise would be good to have, for sure. I have all kinds of bits and pieces in the shop I'm fiddling with to come up with a focusing mechanism. Or I might just make a short monorail for my view camera and mount the standards dead close -- or make a bag bellows; we'll see.

I think I can afford a Fuji SW 90/8 pretty soon, it has good coverage and will be great on the stock view camera as well. (In fact, my GVII won't go wider than 90mm as is... I've been thinking of finding a junker and doing the 'Stubby' version on it.)

Yeah, just the thought of the simplicity is freeing, and I always love building something new..!

Emmanuel BIGLER
10-Dec-2005, 02:44
David.
Here in Europe old Schneider angulons-not-super-at-all go for real cheap. I assume that the situation is similar in the Americas. Old angulons are perfect for a DIY wide angle camera project.
You can have a look at this article (in French) by Gilles Barbier, how to put a good ol' 90mm angulon back to work. You'll certainly find good ideas and a few hints on setting the proper camera-to-film distance (0% rocket science, only 100% fine crafts & fine wood-working ;-)
www.galerie-photo.com/barbier-hybis-90.html (http://www.galerie-photo.com/barbier-hybis-90.html)

Dan Fromm
10-Dec-2005, 06:14
See http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

A 90/6.8 Raptar/Optar might do for you.

DOF at a given distance and aperture is the same for all lenses of the same focal length.

What's your budget?

David Honey
10-Dec-2005, 09:29
Thanks for the interesting link Emmanuel. My French, it is not so good(!) but I got the gist of it I think. Yes, an Angulon goes pretty cheap here too. I may start there -- it all depends on what comes up on eBay.

Thanks Dan. I probably have 400- or so for a 90mm SA or a Fuji 90 SW right now. Wider would be nice eventually. I watched a 75mm SA go with no bids yesterday; the guy was too hopeful on his starting price. That sort of thing might bring the price down for awhile if we're lucky.

I do have a little old German 90mm in a Prontor shutter that might do something.

For now I'm off to the shed to fiddle around with plates and cones and assorted scap-metal..

Thanks again.

John_4185
10-Dec-2005, 09:44
You can get a focusing ring from those Chinese chaps. All you need for many lenses is a few millimeters of extension to cover the range. Focusing is, imho, a must, but please yourself.

I've posted pictures of my homemade 4x5 superwide with 47mm S/A too often to do it again, but ask if you like. It weights next to nothing.

For rise - heck, just install the lens permanently with a little rise. If you need front drop, hold the camera upside-down. Lateral? Hold it sideways. Live it up.

David Honey
10-Dec-2005, 10:44
Yes, there's no end to the simplifications you could dream up; in the end it's just a box. Built-in front rise is a n excellent idea, though. I almost always use some.

jnantz
10-Dec-2005, 18:56
hi david -

equinoxphotographic.com has one of those tiny 3 1/2 " wollensak exwa for sale on their site -
it covers 4x5 with ease and stopped down they supposedly cover 5x7 - not bad for less than 100$

i used to have one and wish i never sold it ...

john

David Honey
10-Dec-2005, 19:55
Thanks John. I'll check it out.

John Hoenstine
11-Dec-2005, 14:20
Check out job.webstar.nl/newcampg.html (http://job.webstar.nl/newcampg.html)
I am presently building a P&S 4x5 using a 90mm angulon. They are good lenses to start with on a project like this.

David Honey
11-Dec-2005, 16:30
Yes John, I saw your article a few days ago while searching. Nice job.

My 'new' Fujinon 90/8 SW should do nicely, then!