PDA

View Full Version : Eliot Porter exhibit in Maine

jp
17-Feb-2020, 08:43
EXHIBITION DATES
February 29, 2020 – January 3, 2021

https://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/exhibition/eliot-porter-all-the-wild-places/

And not much details yet, but some George Tice...

https://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/exhibition/first-to-hail-the-rising-sun-maine-through-the-eyes-of-its-artists/

David Schaller
17-Feb-2020, 17:55
Thanks for the notice JP. I hope that I’ll be able to get to see this. It’s so impressive to see the dye transfers in person.

Mark Sampson
17-Feb-2020, 21:31
There's nothing quite like a Porter dye-transfer print; he was truly a master. I'm sorry that I won't get to see this show... but i won't get to Maine this year. Don't miss it if you're anywhere near!

jp
29-Feb-2020, 13:05
Don't miss it if you're anywhere near!

Anyone liking color nature photography, large format or otherwise should visit. They even had video from 16mm color film of Porter setting up cameras for bird photos, including ladders and flash equipment in trees.

It was a really great exhibit. I brought my daughter who's a decent photographer. The lecture was full and we didn't get into that. The dye transfers were very nice. They even had a very large Eliot Porter B&W print made by AA. (John Layton, if you're reading this I was reminded of your large prints) There were quite a few dye transfer prints and as I've mentioned before the books don't do justice to the actual photographs.

David Schaller
1-Mar-2020, 11:27
Thanks Jason. Those in your photos are two of my favorites.

Old_Dick
1-Mar-2020, 14:12
Thanks Jason,

Depending on my meds, I hope to make it up there.

I've been watching your work for some time. How quickly they grow:)

djdister
1-Mar-2020, 16:42
Thanks for the updates - I hope to pop over from NH and see the show soon.

fj55mike
4-Mar-2020, 14:58
Thanks for posting this JP. I'll be sure to check it out this summer when we're visiting my in-laws in Liberty.

jp
18-Mar-2020, 12:57
The Farnsworth's galleries are temporarily closed, because covid-19.

jp
10-Jun-2020, 13:28
Farnsworth opens June 25... If you're in ME/NH/VT you can freely travel here. No travel from Canada. 14 day quarantine from other states which nobody enforces.

John Layton
5-Jul-2020, 05:44
Yup...and while you're there, there is a very nice gallery called Stanhope and Spencer - just a few steps away from the Farnsworth, going south on Main St. - that's also worth a visit! :)

John Layton
7-Jul-2020, 03:13
Seriously though...Eliot Porter was a true master - seamlessly combining impeccable technique with peerless vision - and his work deserves to be seen in person and up close.