PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao Back 6x12 HP5+

FpJohn
9-Dec-2005, 17:24
Hello:

How does one read the nos on the 6x12 back for HP5+? All I see is dotted circles and no numbers.
Is x-ray vision involved?

yours
Frank Johnston

Stan. Laurenson-Batten
10-Dec-2005, 07:19
Hello Frank.

Oh Dear! Some months ago I sent to LF forum my review of the SH612 but for some reason it did not appear...
I noted is was one of my early problems: Quote:
'It was not possible, even with good eyesight to read the frame numbers in anything but bright sunlight. In fact I found it necessary to calibrate the number of turns on the winder knob to start the sequence - and then each frame number.
The calibration method proved more reliable than the often, unclear dubious frame numbers of the various manufacturers of film. My calibration for the largest format being: eight 360 turns to wind on to the first frame, then two and a half turns for each subsequent frame. I stuck a red marker dot or rubrick on the winder knob to facilitate accuracy of spacing.'
To cap it all, the frames fall well short of the stated sizes....

I will try again to get the full review on this site as there was plenty more to report... Stan. L-B

FpJohn
10-Dec-2005, 08:24
Hello:

You are a scholar and a gentleman. I was wondering if it was a general problem or specific to HP5 (or me).

i'm glad to hear of the calibration as I began to suspect the need for such a thing, it's good to receive prior experience.

yours
Frank

Nick_3536
10-Dec-2005, 09:49
Is this because the writing is too light to see with the dark red window? If it is you might want to go to www.apug.org and join the chorus complaining about it. Ilford is supposedly worried about the numbers imprinting on the film or something like that. They are looking into it but the more people complain the more seriously they'll take the issue.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20862

I think thats the thread.

FpJohn
10-Dec-2005, 13:43
Hello:

Joined and started a thread. Any experience with legible film backings? Agfa? before I proceed by trial and error.

thanks
Frank

FpJohn
10-Dec-2005, 13:49
Hello:

A light blue lettering would do it!

yours
Frank