PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 5x12" camera

Steve Sherman
12-Feb-2020, 18:21
Greetings, Does anyone on this forum have knowledge or whereabouts of any of the 5x12" format cameras that Chaminox built a few years ago ??

Thanks very much in advance, Steve Sherman

Greg
12-Feb-2020, 19:20
Remember reading about such a camera at
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Chamonix5X14/Chamonix_5X14.html
entertained the idea at one time but in the end acquired a NOBLEX PRO 6/150UX with slow exposure module in mint condition. Just a whole lot more portable and 120 film so readily available "over the counter" Also light fall off essentially nil.
One question, is 5" roll film still available?
good luck on your quest

Tim V
13-Feb-2020, 01:34
Adox cut CHS100II to any size you want.

Steve Sherman
13-Feb-2020, 04:49
Remember reading about such a camera at
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Chamonix5X14/Chamonix_5X14.html
entertained the idea at one time but in the end acquired a NOBLEX PRO 6/150UX with slow exposure module in mint condition. Just a whole lot more portable and 120 film so readily available "over the counter" Also light fall off essentially nil.
One question, is 5" roll film still available?
good luck on your quest

Thanks for reaching out, I don't know of any specific 5" roll film. I would imagine an inquiry with Ilford for their annual specialty cut film orders usually closing at the end of May

esearing
13-Feb-2020, 05:12
I have been watching for one for two years now. Chamonix will not make any more until enough interesest is generated. So there's at least two of us (maybe more lurking in the shadows). To me its a perfect pano format for us hobbyists who don't want to go as large as 7x17 and think that 4x10 is too small. I can get there by enlarging 4x5 with masking but would really like to be able to contact print someday.

Tillman Crane has a 5x12 but i do not know if it is the Chamonix or another brand.

Ray Van Nes
13-Feb-2020, 09:39
Tillman's is a Canham. I am wondering if he is still using it as he seems to be moving into very large platinum prints which indicates he is using digital.

Oren Grad
13-Feb-2020, 10:57
I would imagine an inquiry with Ilford for their annual specialty cut film orders usually closing at the end of May

Both FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus have been offered in 5x12 as part of the Ilford program almost since the beginning. That's where I got my film when I had the 5x12 Canham.

Vaughn
13-Feb-2020, 11:15
I bought a box of 5x12 FP4+ in the last Ilford order (for a friend who has an old 5x12)

Keith Pitman
13-Feb-2020, 12:42
Canham lists 5x12 on his website.

Steve Sherman
13-Feb-2020, 16:46
As an FYI, particularly to Eric. I have reached out to Chaminox, they will make a 5x12 for me, delivery 7-8 months. I will post particulars in a fresh thread, simply wanted to see if there was any on the used market. As an FYI, the Chamonix is a mirror of the Phillps design that I recently parted with, IMHO the best-designed view camera ever. Stay tuned

Thanks all for contibuting to this post. SS

Greg
13-Feb-2020, 17:50
This is second hand but passing it on never the less. A few years ago I was in correspondence with a photographer in I believe Vietnam or Thailand who was using either a Harrison Globe or a Goerz Hypergon (probably the latter) lens on a Chamonix UL or ULF camera that Chamonix modified the bed of his Chamonix for using his ultra WA lens on. He wrote me that Chamonix was very accommodating in fabricate/modifying his camera. I have only dealt with Hugo in the USA, and I can attest that Hugo has always been more than accommodating with me as to our transactions.

FYI: In the 1980s we contacted a top line view camera manufacturer as to having them modify one of their 8x10s into an 11x14... after many, many times of trying to contact them, they finally wrote us with something like Sorry, our camera's design is not made to be modified in any way from what we currently offer.

Jim Noel
14-Feb-2020, 11:13
I use both FP4+ and x-ray film in my Korona. I still miss my Korona 7x17, but at 91 it is too much for me to handle.
The X-ray film is double sided dental film which I don't have to cut down.

Steve Sherman
14-Feb-2020, 18:45
Bless you Jim Noel, @ 68 yrs. I will transition from the 7x17 to the 5x12" format and hope to be making contact prints into my 90s !! Thanks for reaching out !!

esearing
15-Feb-2020, 06:17
Bless you Jim Noel, @ 68 yrs. I will transition from the 7x17 to the 5x12" format and hope to be making contact prints into my 90s !! Thanks for reaching out !!
Y'all make me feel like a young whipper snapper at 56 years old. Guess I better start parting with some of my rangefinders and saving up.

Jim Noel
15-Feb-2020, 11:00
There is no greater pleasure for me in photography than seeing a nice big image on the ground glass, and the resulting print.

Michael Kadillak
15-Feb-2020, 13:08
There is no greater pleasure for me in photography than seeing a nice big image on the ground glass, and the resulting print.

+1. The bigger the better. Will continue to consistently hit the gym as a natural hedge to keep me in this game. I am reminded of the quote from Satchel Page who pitched in the negro leagues and without a birth certificate. It is believed he played at the highest level well into his 40's. "How Old Would You Be If You Did Not Know How Old You Were?

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Feb-2020, 22:34
I love my 8x20 and I still have plenty of film in the freezer for it. If I can keep going like Jim Noel is with his ULF system I'll be able to use up the film. Jim Noel is my hero as a ULF shooter and I'm a mere 21 years younger and still loving the 8x20. Good luck on the 5x12 Steve.

Jim Noel
16-Feb-2020, 08:17
Thanks for the very kind words Jim.

esearing
28-Mar-2020, 11:18
I just confirmed my order of the 5x12 and holders with Hugo. Anyone else besides Steve and I?