PDA

View Full Version : Pelican Case - 8x10, Users Here?

dodphotography
8-Feb-2020, 09:47
Anyone here using a pelican case for air travel / general use? Curious about the experience. I’d like to be able to convert the case into a backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg
8-Feb-2020, 10:30
Pelican 1600 with 8x10 Chamonix "kit".
Holders in padded cases carried above the camera.
Other items removed to simplify the image

dodphotography
8-Feb-2020, 13:03

That’s awesome! I have to look up the dimensions of the chamonix vs my ebony. The ebony is a little wide with the knobs at 13.25 inches.

Drew Bedo
8-Feb-2020, 20:47
I have one of the early LowePro Trekker AW backpacks (late 1980s-Early 1990s) that can hold my Kodak 2D with a lens mounted and two film holders. All the other stuff gets packed in around the camera. Carries OK on my back, but its an early design and current ones are more ergonomic. Not sure I'd ship it as checked luggage, but it has gone into the overhead bin.

I'll bet there is a newer one out there that will work. I am spoiled by living in a large city (Houston) where one can go into a store and handle bags and backpacks from several makers in person.

angusparker
8-Feb-2020, 23:06
Pelican have this new TrekPak divider option which allows for great customization and thinner dividers but is heavier than the other options. Looks and works great. I’m using it for my dive camera equipment (no LF!)

Jeroen
9-Feb-2020, 03:49
If you really want to go that way, get a backpack with an external frame (Fjällräven Fire Brigade Frame, Tatonka Lastenkraxe, Kelty). With an internal frame pack the S-shaped back will flatten when you strap a Pelicase to it, and even the best pack will loose all comfort and become a real burden to carry - I tried and failed :(

But even with an external frame pack + Peli, you'll easily add 15-20 LBS to your load. Unless you're name is Arnie S., why make yourself suffer? I have a Lowe Pro for my Sinar 8x10, it's quite comfy at 35 LBS.

dodphotography
9-Feb-2020, 05:35
If you really want to go that way, get a backpack with an external frame (Fjällräven Fire Brigade Frame, Tatonka Lastenkraxe, Kelty). With an internal frame pack the S-shaped back will flatten when you strap a Pelicase to it, and even the best pack will loose all comfort and become a real burden to carry - I tried and failed :(

But even with an external frame pack + Peli, you'll easily add 15-20 LBS to your load. Unless you're name is Arnie S., why make yourself suffer? I have a Lowe Pro for my Sinar 8x10, it's quite comfy at 35 LBS.

I suppose the intention behind it is that I’m never hiking with my stuff, as much as I think I will. More that I’d like to park, walk a 1/2 mile at most, and be able to have all my stuff in one bag.

Every backpack I have does a decent job with the camera and lens but then holders make me feel uncomfortable with any pressure against them or the dark slides with leaks etc. Then I have to hold them in a separate bag and I’m just not into having multiple bags.

Jeroen
9-Feb-2020, 09:46
I have 4 negative holders in a second small backpack that I carry on my belly. Safer for the holders, and much better weight distribution, too!

Greg
9-Feb-2020, 11:26

I have 2 1600 cases, one for my whole plate and the other for my 8x10. Secure them to my generic frame with 3 or 4 heavy duty rubber bungee cords. Tripod I carry and use as a walking stick when needed. First time you slip and fall walking up a 4th class trail, you will forget the extra weight of the Pelican case over a much lighter loosely padded fabric "Photo" backpack.

Drew Bedo
10-Feb-2020, 07:14
Check out these two options for convwerting your Pelican case to backpack.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrDQ2phZEFe9GoAr3v7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBwbWw1aWJmBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEdnRpZANNU0ZUVklEQzE-;_ylc=X1MDOTY3ODEzMDcEX3IDMgRhY3RuA2NsawRjc3JjcHZpZANObTJEMGpFd0xqRmtUb2FnWGtGYWVRSGVNall3TUFBQUFBQk42OEtwBGZyA3lmcC10BGZyMgNzYS1ncARncHJpZANmU0Q2dEpMZlQuLi5hcWNTWnJVUVZBBG5fcnNsdAM2MARuX3N1Z2cDMARvcmlnaW4DdmlkZW8uc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMARwcXN0cgMEcHFzdHJsAwRxc3RybAM0OARxdWVyeQNCYWNrcGFjayUyMFN0cmFwcyUyQyUyMHBlbGljYW4lMkMlMjBEcm9uZSUyMENhc2UEdF9zdG1wAzE1ODEzNDM4OTg-?p=Backpack+Straps%2C+pelican%2C+Drone+Case&ei=UTF-8&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av%2Cm%3Asa&fr=yfp-t#id=26&vid=55a639ef3679e3fe861bfaa4b4b826a8&action=view

This one may only work on a 1510.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=Awr9NVWTZEFeZ1wAhjb7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBwbWw1aWJmBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEdnRpZANNU0ZUVklEQzE-;_ylc=X1MDOTY3ODEzMDcEX3IDMgRhY3RuA2NsawRjc3JjcHZpZANSTS5XUVRFd0xqSmtUb2FnWGtGYWVRRHVNall3TUFBQUFBQlE3TF9mBGZyA3lmcC10BGZyMgNzYS1ncARncHJpZAN6LnNlTFlVSVFDYW1YXzM2TE1qM2lBBG5fcnNsdAM2MARuX3N1Z2cDMARvcmlnaW4DdmlkZW8uc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMARwcXN0cgMEcHFzdHJsAwRxc3RybAM1MARxdWVyeQNCYWNrcGFjayUyMFN0cmFwcyUyQyUyMERyb25lJTJDJTIwJTIwcGVsaWNhbiUyQyUyMAR0X3N0bXADMTU4MTM0Mzk4NA--?p=Backpack+Straps%2C+Drone%2C++pelican%2C+&ei=UTF-8&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av%2Cm%3Asa&fr=yfp-t#id=1&vid=7f4af51ca9c9ccfb04165e066fd001ab&action=view

RThis one may be adaptable to a larger Pelican case'

My assessment is that neither one is for genuine hiking around. I would look at these conversions for getting around an airport while pulling other luggage, or going from the car to a scenic overlook where little wheels won't work.

ericantonio
11-Feb-2020, 09:44

This looks EXACTLY like mine but with a Kodak Master View.

But you don't see my gigantic biceps and triceps. I pick this up like it was a Luis Vuitton over my shoulder.

BradS
11-Feb-2020, 15:24
I quit 8x10 years ago but still have the big, bright yellow Pelican 1600 flight case around here somewhere (probably downstairs in the room of requirement). The Pelican 1600 has room for the (tachihara 8x10) camera and one or two lenses mounted on Sinar sized boards. I primarily used this case for air travel. The big yellow Pelican protected the camera and lens in checked baggage, film and holders went with me in one of my carry-on bags. It is a beast to lug around...I do not think it would be to pleasant to "hike" with. I remember it being a pain to lug from the car to the airport terminal. For hiking, I'd suggest a LowePro PhotoTrekker (?).200540

James Morris
12-Feb-2020, 01:25
The Pelican case itself is pretty heavy, not sure if you want that on your back with filmholders and the camera in it.

I use a Pelican case for my SV810 for flying, with the camera inside an f64 backpack, then the backpack inside the Pelican case. There's one layer of foam on the bottom and in the lid. Keeps it very snug, and no issues so far. There's no room for the film holders in there (they're packed in a suitcase). You only need one lens. When shooting, I take the backpack out of the Pelican case, carry the film holders in a messenger shoulder bag, and carry the tripod by hand. No problem at all to walk around with and even hike a mile or so.

jchabalk
12-Feb-2020, 12:22
Here's mine - i think the model is a 1620 (Definitely 16xx series).

It's got a Deardorff 8x10. 2 lenses on plates (300mm + 150mm) and a few small accessories. I use it in the car mostly (and not that much). It's a bit heavy to carry long distances, a cart would work fine though. It protects everything really well of course. When i've used it out shooting i can also stand on the case to get a little extra height when needed which is an advantage i suppose.

dodphotography
12-Feb-2020, 14:14
The Pelican case itself is pretty heavy, not sure if you want that on your back with filmholders and the camera in it.

I use a Pelican case for my SV810 for flying, with the camera inside an f64 backpack, then the backpack inside the Pelican case. There's one layer of foam on the bottom and in the lid. Keeps it very snug, and no issues so far. There's no room for the film holders in there (they're packed in a suitcase). You only need one lens. When shooting, I take the backpack out of the Pelican case, carry the film holders in a messenger shoulder bag, and carry the tripod by hand. No problem at all to walk around with and even hike a mile or so.

I definitely am considering the 1615 Air... I honestly don’t hike. Often times I try and prepare a backpack like I’m heading into the wilderness and end up walking less than a mile from my car. I have a few backpacks that hold a camera and lenses but the holders are the biggest issue for me.

I have a Mindshift 40L and old ass Lowepro. Both are ok but not what I want.

tgtaylor
12-Feb-2020, 15:05
Here's my set-up for lugging the 8x10 around:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49527401067_8e1ebdabca_c.jpg

Its a Lowepro AW Super Trekker - the largest one they made at the time I bought it. On the top shelf (closest to you) are 760 and 610mm apo nikkors in domke wraps. Next to it is a sekonic spot meter in the black case and (not visible) a focusing loupe, grey card, and Schneider UV glass filter. In the middle area from the top left is a 480mm apo ronar in domke wrap, Cokin Z-Pro filter holder in black case and a pouch containing cleaning materials (blower, wipes, brushes, etc). Directly under is a large Harrison dark cloth (I noticed some in holes appearing in the tapered part of the bellows so started packing the large Harrison instead of the BTZS cloth so that I can completely cover the bellows and film holder when exposing a sheet). Under the dark cloth is a Toyo 810MII. The top section contains cable release and stuff like that. The black bag protruding at the top is a padded 8x10 film holder case. I will hold up to 5 film holders and slips into the outside pocket at the rear of the pack as shown. The tripod (not shown) slides into one of the pockets on either side or in a drop out holster at the center of the pack. If needed you can fit one more lens into the pack as one lens will fold-up with the camera. It's quite hefty when you get it on your back, of course, but you can do short hikes without too much problem. For longer urban excursions I wheel it around on a folding 2-wheeler cart with telescoping handles. When not out photographing I keep everything in their dedicated hard storage cases but Monday and Tuesday were ideal for working with long lenses as the humidity was in the 20's and the wind calm so I kept everything packed and ready to go. Today its a different story - picture perfect weather but the RH climbed back into the usual 50's.

Thomas

dodphotography
12-Feb-2020, 15:45

Its a Lowepro AW Super Trekker - the largest one they made at the time I bought it. On the top shelf (closest to you) are 760 and 610mm apo nikkors in domke wraps. Next to it is a sekonic spot meter in the black case and (not visible) a focusing loupe, grey card, and Schneider UV glass filter. In the middle area from the top left is a 480mm apo ronar in domke wrap, Cokin Z-Pro filter holder in black case and a pouch containing cleaning materials (blower, wipes, brushes, etc). Directly under is a large Harrison dark cloth (I noticed some in holes appearing in the tapered part of the bellows so started packing the large Harrison instead of the BTZS cloth so that I can completely cover the bellows and film holder when exposing a sheet). Under the dark cloth is a Toyo 810MII. The top section contains cable release and stuff like that. The black bag protruding at the top is a padded 8x10 film holder case. I will hold up to 5 film holders and slips into the outside pocket at the rear of the pack as shown. The tripod (not shown) slides into one of the pockets on either side or in a drop out holster at the center of the pack. If needed you can fit one more lens into the pack as one lens will fold-up with the camera. It's quite hefty when you get it on your back, of course, but you can do short hikes without too much problem. For longer urban excursions I wheel it around on a folding 2-wheeler cart with telescoping handles. When not out photographing I keep everything in their dedicated hard storage cases but Monday and Tuesday were ideal for working with long lenses as the humidity was in the 20's and the wind calm so I kept everything packed and ready to go. Today its a different story - picture perfect weather but the RH climbed back into the usual 50's.

Thomas

I wonder if yours is similar to this...

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Trekker-Camera-Backpack-Lowepro/dp/B00ODEYTQU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=PRO+TREKKER+650+AW&qid=1581547486&sr=8-1

tgtaylor
12-Feb-2020, 20:13
I wonder if yours is similar to this...

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Trekker-Camera-Backpack-Lowepro/dp/B00ODEYTQU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=PRO+TREKKER+650+AW&qid=1581547486&sr=8-1

Yeah - it's just a newer version. On the version I have there are slots on the outside of the side zip pockets where you can insert tripod legs and secure it with the compression straps. I prefer to carry the tripod on a side instead of in the center of the pack. The interior, exterior and weight are the same. When I was in the market I made sure that the interior dimensions were a sufficient fit for the MII. As you can see the camera fits in without forcing a fit and there remains plenty of room for the other gear.

Thomas

dodphotography
12-Feb-2020, 20:15
Yeah - it's just a newer version. On the version I have there are slots on the outside of the side zip pockets where you can insert tripod legs and secure it with the compression straps. I prefer to carry the tripod on a side instead of in the center of the pack. The interior, exterior and weight are the same. When I was in the market I made sure that the interior dimensions were a sufficient fit for the MII. As you can see the camera fits in without forcing a fit and there remains plenty of room for the other gear.

Thomas

My Ebony SV810 has proven a difficult camera to fit into bags... at 13.5 roughly wide it makes a tight squeeze in many options out there.

tgtaylor
12-Feb-2020, 20:21
Then the AW 650 will work. The dimensions for the MII are: Folded Dimensions 14.5" x 15" x 6.2".

Thomas

dodphotography
12-Feb-2020, 20:29

Thomas

I’d love to see how you store the holders... appreciate it! Sorry for the requests!

tgtaylor
13-Feb-2020, 11:02
The black case in the photo is an "MC Photo" case that I bought online some years back. It will hold as many as 5 film holders but I rarely carry more than 3 with me at any time. It slips into the backpack's laptop compartment. When not out in the field I store all the 8x10 holders (10) in a Chinese or Hong Kong made film holder satchel that I bought online some years back. It has individual compartments for each holder and is made with a high quality rip stop nylon fabric with handles and a shoulder strap with backpack like buckles and Velcro to keep the top lightproof. He made a 5 and 10 holder version for 8x10 and 5x7. Recently I ran across a batch of new Fidelity Elite 5x7 holders and increased my inventory from 4 - which came with the 5x7 back - to 10. I found him again online but he was only selling the 5 holder version which I bought and keep the other 5 holders in an F64 5x7 film holder which, like the MC case, bring with me in the field. If you look online you can probably find both cases new.

Thomas

asf
15-Feb-2020, 10:00
Then the AW 650 will work. The dimensions for the MII are: Folded Dimensions 14.5" x 15" x 6.2".

Thomas

The 650 is the one I use, will hold almost anything (including a p2 8x10)

Ari
18-Apr-2021, 08:34
The 650 is the one I use, will hold almost anything (including a p2 8x10)

Reviving this thread:
Does anyone know which pack would be similar in dimensions to the AW 650?
The AW 650 is 14 x 8.5 x 19.6 - just perfect for what I need, but I can't find anything currently on the market with those dimensions. Mostly, they're too narrow.

Thanks

dodphotography
18-Apr-2021, 09:03
Reviving this thread:
Does anyone know which pack would be similar in dimensions to the AW 650?
The AW 650 is 14 x 8.5 x 19.6 - just perfect for what I need, but I can't find anything currently on the market with those dimensions. Mostly, they're too narrow.

Thanks

I think the Mindshift First Light 40L would come close.

Ari
18-Apr-2021, 09:46
I think the Mindshift First Light 40L would come close.

It's pretty close. Thanks