PDA

View Full Version : Is there adequately protective flight case that can protect an ULF camera checked?

cp_photo
4-Feb-2020, 13:58
Hello, I am wondering about some type of adequate protection for an 11x14 or 8x10 Canham during air travel.

Is there a model/brand of flight case that can do the job when in a travel situation of being required to check all stuff, or if they insist one check a heavy carry on? I doubt an 11x14 could be transported via air as a carry on anyways.

Could a Pelican or other case be used? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

jp
4-Feb-2020, 14:15
Ship it ahead.

Pelican you could probably drop it from a helicopter into the ocean, drag it to shore, and run over it with a jeep

Get Canham's ground glass protector slide as well.

Bob Salomon
4-Feb-2020, 14:17
If you can find one a Rimowa Tropicana can. So could custom cases from Anvil.

LabRat
4-Feb-2020, 14:26
Recommend a soft padded case as if is a little oversize for a overhead or trunk, you might be able to squeeze it a little in... And there is usually some other space to slide something small in... And is easier to carry around on a shoulder strap...

I tend to travel with gear by using an old strong suitcase as an outer shell, then soft bag inside, and a couple of extra smaller empty bags inside, so that when I arrive, I can download the gear into smaller bags the gear I predict I will use that day or night... Or a smaller kit easy to carry on an early morning walk...

Steve K

Vaughn
4-Feb-2020, 14:28
Only once by air with an 8x10. I use a travel pack as a camera pack, so just a little more padding (clothes) kept the camera and lens safe as check-in baggage. Ries tripod in a big Bogen tripod bag checked in also. Holders and film as carry-on. Before 9/11 and before paying for baggage.

cp_photo
4-Feb-2020, 14:28
Interesting ideas. I actually have a Rimowa suitcase (too big though) I could adapt but it even seems like it could get damaged unless I had some sort of lightweight but protective inserts.

Tin Can
4-Feb-2020, 14:35
I bought one of these on sale last year. It's a monster with their improved wheels, tow handle, 2 side handles and foam

My Seneca 11X14 will fit, but have not yet fitted it, nothing else Pelican would work

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/travel-case/storm/im2875

I was looking at them online with B&H and other sites. B&H made an offer I couldn't refuse. They track our shopping...

I won't fly with it, but it will be fine in my truck

slerman
4-Feb-2020, 14:46
Got an (un)used Pelican 24" cube case with foam for my Deardorff 14x14. Too cheap to pass up--too unwieldy and heavy to carry by myself! https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/cube-case/protector/0370

cp_photo
That Pelican looks very good and I imagine it could accommodate the 11x14 Canham. I'm ordering some new cameras/gear in 2020 and I am trying to put thought in adavnce into the practicalities of storing and caring for it while taking it traveling in real world situations. I had also thought to buy a few waterproof Pelican cases to store my binders of negatives without dust, moisture etc. In my present apartment there are sprinklers that will go off if there is a fire in the building and most of my stuff will get affected... it happened to my neighbor.

Bob Salomon
Interesting ideas. I actually have a Rimowa suitcase (too big though) I could adapt but it even seems like it could get damaged unless I had some sort of lightweight but protective inserts.

Other then an aluminum skin the Tropicana is very different from their aluminum suitcases. The Tropicana is made from marine plywood with an aluminum outer skin. Then, on all 6 sides is a layer of closed cell insulting foam. Inside that is a molded tub. The tip has a raised rim that, when the case is closed, molds itself into a layer of urethane foam that makes a waterproof seal to the contents.
The outside corners are reinforced with aluminum corners as are the corner edges. A fully loaded case will float plus the insulation will keep contents protected from temperature extremes.

But I don’t know if they still make the camera cases since Rimowa is now owned by LV.

slerman
4-Feb-2020, 15:05
The Pelicans are robust--so I've always tried to find used ones. If you go used, make sure the foam is either intact or that there is enough left for your use. New foam inserts are available, but pricey.

Bernice Loui
4-Feb-2020, 22:29
Pelican# 1510 is the largest FAA approved carry on case with wheels available. larger than this, it will be forced into checked baggage.
The Pelican# 1510 is 19.75" x 11.00" x 7.60" bases on these internal dimension numbers... what can fit?

IMO, 8x10 might be doable, 11x14 likely not as a carry on.

Add film holders, film, camera accessories, tripod and...

Bernice

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
4-Feb-2020, 23:20
attention. if you open the case in a humid environment, it will store the humid air inside.

if a cold, dry camera comes out of the case into a warm, humid environment, not only the camera will fog up, but also the inside of the case.

it is difficult to get a waterproof suitcase dry. and it is difficult to get damp mould out of the foam inside the suitcase. once wind, weather, salt water (coast), sand or dust are inside the case, you can hardly get them out again.

in the south of france there are dry, cold winds. when i drive from a humid-warm switzerland to perpignan, i have electrostatic phenomena on the cameras, flashes on the film, bleeding in the lcd.

in the local botanical garden it's the other way round. everything smells of mould, and the equipment in the orchid house is fogging up. especially in winter.

if you live in florida and buy your equipment from south japanese dealers, you do not need pelicanes.

imho the only way to use a camera when traveling without worrying about it breaking is to use cheap cameras that are allowed to break.

Bob Salomon
5-Feb-2020, 04:42
attention. if you open the case in a humid environment, it will store the humid air inside.

if a cold, dry camera comes out of the case into a warm, humid environment, not only the camera will fog up, but also the inside of the case.

it is difficult to get a waterproof suitcase dry. and it is difficult to get damp mould out of the foam inside the suitcase. once wind, weather, salt water (coast), sand or dust are inside the case, you can hardly get them out again.

in the south of france there are dry, cold winds. when i drive from a humid-warm switzerland to perpignan, i have electrostatic phenomena on the cameras, flashes on the film, bleeding in the lcd.

in the local botanical garden it's the other way round. everything smells of mould, and the equipment in the orchid house is fogging up. especially in winter.

if you live in florida and buy your equipment from south japanese dealers, you do not need pelicanes.

imho the only way to use a camera when traveling without worrying about it breaking is to use cheap cameras that are allowed to break.

Not if you store desiccant packets inside the case.

Mold has never been a problem with Rimowa cases.

LabRat
5-Feb-2020, 05:01
Also, don't leave gear stored for very long periods in sealed foam lined cases as over time, the foam starts to outgass and degrade, and gasses and sticky melting can damage gear...

Store gear in "breathable" protection for very long hibernation...

Steve K

Bob Salomon
5-Feb-2020, 06:09
Also, don't leave gear stored for very long periods in sealed foam lined cases as over time, the foam starts to outgass and degrade, and gasses and sticky melting can damage gear...

Store gear in "breathable" protection for very long hibernation...

Steve K

Not with urethane foam and closed cell insulating foam.

C. D. Keth
5-Feb-2020, 07:21
Casebuilder.com let’s you configure basically anything you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernice Loui
5-Feb-2020, 09:28
Often not appreciated, wood is an excellent material for transport cases. Wood can be tough beyond belief, resilient and can moderate moisture to prevent mold (if the proper kind of wood is used), light weight for the mechanical properties it can offer.

There was a time when plastic food cutting boards were VERY popular.. until it was discovered the microscopic grooves caused by the knife blade turned into a nice warm home for lethal bacterial and other microbes. Wood food cutting boards that have been used as a food cutting board material for thousands of years have the ability to moderate harmful bacterial and microbes while enduring countless knife cuts.

This is why mechanical measuring instruments (high quality micrometers and such) and similar were shipped and stored in wood cases.

Desiccant is very common in military packaging to food packaging to moderate humidity. Some desiccants can be put in an oven at modest heat to dry them out for re-usage. There are paper humidity indicators with color dots that change color based in ambient humidity.

Totally sealed is not always a good way to store stuff. Example, lens in a high humidity (tropical) environment put into a air sealed plastic bag has a higher risk of developing fungus than being stored in a non air sealed bag. The other serious problem is going from biting cold to a warm environment. This can cause condensation causing host of problems.

Bernice

Not if you store desiccant packets inside the case.

Mold has never been a problem with Rimowa cases.

BradS
5-Feb-2020, 12:48
I use a pelican case....a big, bright yellow one - too big to carry on though. It has room for the 8x10 camera and two lenses mount on lens boards. Never have I had any issues or concerns.

Tin Can
5-Feb-2020, 12:50
Here's an old custom case I bought from a retiring pro with that camera in it. The lens section also has a plywood lid, OLD Plywood

Notice how the inner wood case is surrounded by hard foam. The outside had stickers and airline stuff all over it. Most removed by me.

I have a similar much larger case with metal sides that held an 8X10 P. It's really heavy. That was the husband's shipping box, I bought their studio as they broke up in old age, dividing the cash as soon as I handed it over. I almost asked the lady for her phone #...

The studio was fantastic, 2 story open arena with second floor camera runs and one of those big wood crescent moons. Photo district Chicago. I couldn't get the giant sinks out in time...Goodwill was hauling the furniture at the same moment. Big rush to beat the new owner...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49493561156_82cd257515_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ipzrpj)IMG-2647 (https://flic.kr/p/2ipzrpj) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49493774082_658695eabf_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ipAwGs)IMG-2650 (https://flic.kr/p/2ipAwGs) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

Drew Bedo
5-Feb-2020, 14:50
UMmm . . .My strategy for my 4x5 outfit: Pack in bag sufficiently protective for shooting outdoors, then put that kit, as-packed, intro a hard shell case (mine is a Pellican 1510) , with additional padding, lock it and check it.

I would think that a similar strategy would work with adjustments in the size of the hard shell case and suplimental padding. Pellican and other companies make hard shell cases big enough to protect large bits network level video equipment costing more than my car. I would think that its just a matter of getting one big enough.

I ran across an online outfit that will custom cut high density foam specific to your equipment, fitting a case of your choice . . .and they have te cases too. Here is just one, there are others.

Check out: www.mycasebuilder.com

This is not cheap, but nothing in ULF is cheap.

LabRat
5-Feb-2020, 18:48
I once worked somewhere that sold raw foam for cases, and their secret for nice cuts was an old electric knife used for slicing turkeys etc... Worked great!!!

Steve K

C. D. Keth
5-Feb-2020, 19:30
I once worked somewhere that sold raw foam for cases, and their secret for nice cuts was an old electric knife used for slicing turkeys etc... Worked great!!!

Steve K

It does work beautifully! Much better than that awful perforated “pick and pluck” foam.

dodphotography
6-Feb-2020, 21:09
Has anyone converted their hardcase into a backpack? I know that strap conversion systems exist, of course it’s heavy but for us younger folks who can still somewhat consider baring the load... it is an interesting idea.

My 810 is slightly wider than most at around 14” with knobs. Finding a bag has been a nightmare.

Drew Bedo
7-Feb-2020, 05:27
Havern't measurerd it, but my 8x10 Kodak 2D fits into a 1985 vintage LowePro Trekker backpack. Not much else does though. I had a Pelican brand soft case that could take the 11x14, and the2D swam in it. Photo-dedicated bags are out there.

Another approach might be to look for standard luggage pieces that are big enough and pad/fit the interior to protect the camera.

The OP isn't looking for a walk-around backpack. He is looking for a safe way to check his gear on a plane.