PDA

View Full Version : Advice regarding lens choice. Fuji vs Rodenstock

badler
2-Feb-2020, 11:06
I’m interested in buying a 300mm 5.6 modern style lens. My lurking on eBay has confused me a bit. It seems to me that the general trend is that the Fuji lenses are the most economical. But if look for a more contemporary copal shutter there are a few Rodenstock lenses that are almost the same price. Are these lenses better, too sharp for portraits or should I stay away and stick with the Fuji’s?
Thanks in advance.

Oslolens
2-Feb-2020, 11:29
You believe you will not see any difference, except when buying filters. Make sure you can return the lens in case seller has put in wrong shutter or wrong back cell. I was surprised to find my Apo Symmar 150mm open at least one stop more than f5,6, but it turned out I got the wrong shutter. I got new aperture scales from Robertwhite.co.uk or was it Linhofstudio.com

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

BrianShaw
2-Feb-2020, 11:57
You Might not see huge differences between the various “modern” lenses. There are always some who do... I figure it depends on how observant or analytical one wants, or needs, to get. For portraits, though, I find them too sharp. It really depends on your subject and the success of the final image. When using modern lens for portrait I tend to also use a softening filter. But more so, I use ‘less crisp’ lenses.