PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?! Mounting Copal 3

dodphotography
1-Feb-2020, 15:57
Received a nice lens from a member here... 300mm APO Symmar in Copal 3. The lens came with a spacer but not a retaining. I ordered a ring from Badger but something is either amiss here or I’m doing something stupid.

The retaining rings fits because I mounted the lens without the spacer... but when using the spacer it seems the diameter of the space and the retaining ring are the same and the spacer ... as a result the retaining ring will not thread into the spacer. I need that spacer to fit in a Linhof board reducing adapter without the lens hitting the reducer hardware

Is this user error? I have the spacer ring installed with the “lip” on the rear of the board so that it “catches” the board.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200201/8cd8b8927279e8484c4d13363e9a9819.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200201/d94347bdcb7a24e7b5bd90b830d6dc22.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200201/7696a3015bce3cfe8b765c6941c377b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Fromm
1-Feb-2020, 16:36
Shutters usually come with spacers that sit between the rear of the shutter and front of the board. They're used to provide clearance for the diaphragm actuating ring.

If the retaining ring clamps the shutter to the board without stopping the diaphragm actuating ring moving properly, put the spacer in the drawer labeled "parts of no known use."

dodphotography
1-Feb-2020, 16:36
Temporarily repaired , lens will fit on the Technica board if installed with the aperture scale in the perfect position to avoid the adapter hardware.

Bob Salomon
1-Feb-2020, 17:42
Temporarily repaired , lens will fit on the Technica board if installed with the aperture scale in the perfect position to avoid the adapter hardware.

Lenses from 240 up with the large rear element use a special order z board for mounting with 45 Technika boards. This board eliminates the rear group interfering with the lock.

dodphotography
1-Feb-2020, 17:51
Lenses from 240 up with the large rear element use a special order z board for mounting with 45 Technika boards. This board eliminates the rear group interfering with the lock.

“top hat” boards right?

Neal Chaves
1-Feb-2020, 18:08
You don't have the spacer ring, what you have is two jam nuts. You can buy the spacer rings from eBay. When you get one, it goes between the lens and the board and the deep jam nut with the narrow lip screws in from the rear and centers inside the spacer ring.

dodphotography
1-Feb-2020, 18:10
You don't have the spacer ring, what you have is two jam nuts. You can buy the spacer rings from eBay. When you get one, it goes between the lens and the board and the deep jam nut with the narrow lip screws in from the rear and centers inside the spacer ring.

Shows what I know eh?! Never ending journey of education and learning.

Bob Salomon
1-Feb-2020, 18:30
“top hat” boards right?

No, moved hole position.

Neal Chaves
2-Feb-2020, 09:14
Shows what I know eh?! Never ending journey of education and learning.

It's "Learn or burn." in this life.

Bernice Loui
2-Feb-2020, 09:49
That appears to be a spacer ring for the Copal# 3. For some cameras, it is needed to move the shutter body away from the lens board for added clearance. Some lens boards are small enough to where the shutter body can interfere with the front standard on cameras using smallish lens boards.

The spacer is not mandatory, it is individual camera-lens board-shutter requirement.

Bernice

cowanw
2-Feb-2020, 11:14
You are getting a lot of contradictory advice. If that ring that you show in the second image is threaded and fits the threads of the lens, then that is a retaining ring that holds the lens. The wider bit with the slot cutouts for a wrench mounts at the back of the lens. A spacer is a quite loose fitting ring that is larger in diameter than your original retaining ring you have and loosely fits about the lens in front of the board. It has no threads nor a shoulder. The hole in the lens board should be the outside diameter of the retaining ring so that the depth of the retaining ring goes through the board and inside the spacer. The lens is held by the shoulder of the retaining ring with the slots to the back and on the front of the board by contact with the spacer.
As you have discovered it is the structure of the lens that may allow it to mount without the spacer.
Sadly the required bits only seem to come as a pair on the net but are about 20 dollars.
Perhaps knowing the outside diameter of the longer bit on your retaining ring you can find a bit of tube or pipe to fit and cut to length.
ID 64mm (or 65mm, loose is OK), OD 67mm(or larger), length 6mm.